Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown versus BC  (Read 775 times)

satyadaimoku

• View Profile
Georgetown versus BC
« on: June 27, 2005, 07:53:19 PM »
Impossible decision.

I had decided.  I was going to BC.  I had sent in my admissions deposit.  I had met with prospective roommates.  I had found an apartment I really liked in Newton.  I had set up my BC E-Mail.  I had stopped checking my mail nervously every morning.  I had even stopped checking this web site.

And then Georgetown emails me.  I'm in off their waitlist.

So... if anyone has any advice about this decision, tell me.  I'm lost.  I want to stay in Boston.  I've lived almost all of my life here, it's where my friends and family are, it's where my casual semi-girlfriend is, it is the place I know, love and feel comfortable.

I also want to have a future career in politics.  I want to be able to get a job with typical progressive liberal organizations like the ACLU or the Sierra club.  I want to be Josh Lyman in President Bartlett's cabinet (that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean).  I know from experience that such ACLU type jobs are extremely competitive and I don't want to end up working a generic legal job that doesn't feel like it contributes anything to society.  My worst case scenerio is spending three years in any law school and ending up with one of those jobs. 

So my question for the people: how much of a competitive advantage is Georgetown in the marketplace?  Obviously, choosing BC over Georgetown isn't professional suicide.  But how big is the difference between the two?  How foolish would it be to choose the lesser school between the two of them?

newby

• View Profile
    • interesting site
Re: Georgetown versus BC
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 09:53:19 PM »
I just saw this post (I think I responded to a different post of yours already).  You have a tough dilemma, but I think there are pluses and minuses to each.  Looking at everything you say, you seem to have a link to Boston which would be a minus if you move to DC.  However, you want to have a career in politics which is--hands down--Georgetown, and overall Georgetown is simply the stronger university (and is one of the strongest universities in the world).  I know people who have graduated from Georgetown and BC, and while both are strong--I still think Georgetown may be the wiser choice (certainly on a career growth level).  On a more personal level, that's a bit tougher--cuz you can argue that having lived in Boston could be easier for you BUT you also can argue that there are very much benefits to living outside of your "safety" zone (especially if you ever want to be a political leader used to different settings and if you just want to know more about "life" in general).  Lastly--keep this entire thing in perspective.  This is a "3 year investment" in your career--if 3 years in Georgetown can mean much greater opportunities and progress in the long run for your life-long dreams, go for it!  Your family and gf aren't going anywhere (really).
That being said, whatever you decide, you can not go wrong.  Really, congratulations and good luck on your decision. 

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 10:44:22 PM »
Unless GULC will put you in a major financial bind, I would go there. It's the best school in DC and you want to get into politics. It's hard to imagine a better match.

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »
If you get a chance to go to a T14, you should by all means take it.

And I'd dispute how much the ACLU actually contributes to society, but that's for another thread  ;)

But in all seriousness, Georgetown will open a lot more doors for you than BC.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

ocdb8r

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 02:16:28 PM »
i would say it's all about Georgetown.  I know you're not looking to go the "firm" route but one key evaluation I have been using is looking at which schools firms visit to do on campus interviews - Georgetown is ALWAYS on the list...sometimes even when other T14's aren't (like Northwestern or Boalt).  This to me says Georgetown has a much better reputation in the corporate world.  As far as politics, this would be an even stronger case.

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 02:33:47 PM »
Georgetown, no question.  Do not be dumb. 

Impossible decision.

I had decided.  I was going to BC.  I had sent in my admissions deposit.  I had met with prospective roommates.  I had found an apartment I really liked in Newton.  I had set up my BC E-Mail.  I had stopped checking my mail nervously every morning.  I had even stopped checking this web site.

And then Georgetown emails me.  I'm in off their waitlist.

So... if anyone has any advice about this decision, tell me.  I'm lost.  I want to stay in Boston.  I've lived almost all of my life here, it's where my friends and family are, it's where my casual semi-girlfriend is, it is the place I know, love and feel comfortable.

I also want to have a future career in politics.  I want to be able to get a job with typical progressive liberal organizations like the ACLU or the Sierra club.  I want to be Josh Lyman in President Bartlett's cabinet (that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean).  I know from experience that such ACLU type jobs are extremely competitive and I don't want to end up working a generic legal job that doesn't feel like it contributes anything to society.  My worst case scenerio is spending three years in any law school and ending up with one of those jobs. 

So my question for the people: how much of a competitive advantage is Georgetown in the marketplace?  Obviously, choosing BC over Georgetown isn't professional suicide.  But how big is the difference between the two?  How foolish would it be to choose the lesser school between the two of them?

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 03:49:57 PM »
I don't even like Georgetown -- I've had a lot of exposure to it through friends and living in DC for two years -- but I still think it's the way to go, certainly in this case.

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »

There is a thread on xoxohth.com that talks about this. There a lot of people having trouble picking between BC and GULC. The general sentiment is that if you want to work in Boston, go to BC. If you want to work anywhere else or if you are unsure where you want to work, go to Gtown. BC will be better only if you want to work in Boston, as the Boston market is an extremely self-selective market.
I was in the same situation and chose BC with some $ over GULC. I hated DC and did not want to leave Boston. If you want to stay in Boston, then BC is the better school.

hth.