Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: June05 testers, am I crazy or...  (Read 1125 times)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
June05 testers, am I crazy or...
« on: June 27, 2005, 07:51:30 PM »
Okay I know this test has been beaten to death in here, but I just have to bring this up. The infamous JOB question (RC #9) was thrown out, but why? Supposedly because of the way in which it invoked Christianity as a possible answer. Well in going over that second RC passage which that question was a part of (the Obasan passage) I can't help but feel that yet another question is amiss.

Anyone who cares, please take a look at RC #14, where it says the passage suggests that the author believes which of the following about the society that shuns the girl. The answer is that "it violated its own supposed religious ethics by doing so". Am I the only one who thinks that this is a little fishy, ala the Job question? I believe that LSAC intended the answer to be extrapolated from lines 45-52 in the passage. Unless I'm missing something here (which is possible) it seems to me that the leap one would have to make to get that answer correct would almost certainly rely on some religious knowledge. The only real information we are given to determine what the society's supposed religious ethics are is when it talks about the documents compared with the biblical story of turning stone into bread, and the whole bread of a spiritual sustenance thing.

I don't want to start a debate on whether throwing out Job was right/wrong/good/bad, but I'm thinking if Job wasn't up to par with LSAC then this question shouldn't be either. I know LSAC has thrown out questions post-scoring before, so why not this one, its at least worth a look I think. Am I crazy or does anyone else see what I'm talking about?
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Indiana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.
    • View Profile
Re: June05 testers, am I crazy or...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 09:35:41 PM »
If you can get us all an extra point added onto our scores, then be all means take it up with LSAC.  I'm rooting for you!!   ;D

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 10:06:33 PM »
write them about it
ACCEPTED: Georgetown (ED)

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 12:00:16 AM »
I don't intend to start an argument either but there may be a difference. In the passage you refer to, the "religious element" is in the question stem (i.e. the passage). It does not require that you have knowledge of specific additional stories in the bible.

On the other hand, the "religious element" (a la Job) was in an answer choice (the question that was withdrawn). i.e., that answer choice introduced outside information that depended on specific knowledge contained in a religious book that people who are not of that religion may not be aware of or may be predisposed to select.

I think there may be a slight difference.

my 2 cents.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

EvieO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 12:05:57 AM »
Honestly, I don't see any problem with the question you mention.  Simply bringing up the topic of religion does not in and of itself imply a religious bias to the question.  The response you're referring to is adequately backed up in the passage, without drawing in any outside information. 

I'm not so sure that the religious issue was the reason Job was thrown out, either.  I think it was just a poorly-worded question in many ways.

Just my opinion.

Robin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 12:44:45 AM »
I thought that the "stone/bread" option was a SECULAR choice? I remember that the two answers I was considering (Job and another... possibly stone-bread?) looked really good. But only the Job one was religious and the other one was not. Since the point was to mirror the passage as closely as possible, I went with Job. Further, I don't think it required outside information. "Job" and "biblical" could have been replaced with, say, "Hamad Al'grabah" and "koranical" (sic) and I would have chosen that anser... and I know bugger all about Islam. I'm just sayign that it boiled down to a secular and a religious theme in the two answers I was considering.

People smarter than I have been all over this problem, though.

Robin
LSAT: 160
GPA: 2.29
Applying to Mississippi College

Tink405

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 08:51:18 AM »
Right on...let's bring up our 159's!!

kcbnme

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 09:36:53 AM »
Am I correct, though, that if we got it right, which I did, then it will hurt us?  Then I would have 75/98 instead of 76/100, will still have missed the 23 I did, and would actually end up with a 158?
I'd love a 160:) but I think it would only help those who got it wrong, anyway.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 10:29:28 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know its a longshot but I wrote to LSAC about this question. Something just doesn't sit right with me about it. BTW I don't think LSAC would take points away from anyone after the fact, especially if they found out that they had made a mistake. In any case, I decided to write LSAC about it just for some peice of mind. Here is part of the email I sent them, I tried to explain it a little better:

Taking into account the correct answer in question #14, we are essentially told that the passage suggests that the author believes that the society which shunned Naomi violated its own supposed religious ethics by doing so. Beginning with line 41 in the passage we are told that the author uses motifs drawn from Christian rituals and symbols to form a subtle critique of the professed ethics of said the culture which shunned Naomi. I cannot see how the passage even implies that the professed ethics of the culture are in any way religious ethics. I do notice that line 45 gives an example of the symbolism that the author uses to critique the culture's ethics, and that symbolism is indeed religious as it invokes biblical imagery and draws an analogy between the biblical story of turning bread into stone and the bundle of documents as being akin to "stone" while also containing "bread." However this seems to be misleading as it says nothing about the ethics of the society/culture which has shunned Naomi.

From my point of view there are far too many leaps to be made in question #14 to arrive at what the author believes about the society that shunned Naomi. I had chosen answer A, "it discoursed its citizens from seeking out their heritage" due to the overall tone of the passage and specifically the references made in lines 37-39 to the "culture screens of silence and secretiveness that have enshrouded her past," this answer appeared to be much more plausible.

I would appreciate any insight into this question that you can provide.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

kcbnme

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »
Okay, after another check, I did miss that one.  How many people did?  That might be a good way to determine the validity.  If most people got the right answer...chances are LSAC isn't going to toss it.  It is a little amibiguous, but I am at work and did not re-read the passage, either.  Not to mention I hated that passage and didn't want to revisit it:)