Law School Discussion

I know this is getting old, but advice on retaking

I know this is getting old, but advice on retaking
« on: June 26, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
I know that so many folks have posted the do I retake question and it gets old, but I am wondering what y'all think.  I got a 167 on the test, and while respectable, it was lower than my average practice by several points (I was testing between 170-175, with the rare 168-69). Though my raw score was only a little lower than normal, the curve really stuck it where it hurts. In addition, reading comprehension has always been my weakest section (just can't focus sometimes AND it was the first section of my test, so I did my worst ever by 3 questions!) so though I only hit 5 wrong on logical reasoning and did LG perfectly, the RC hurt me.  I have a 3.79 gpa from a top 5 liberal arts school, and I'm currently completing a fellowship at a nationally recognized/respected organization.  I would really like to go to a top school (I am hoping top 14), and I'm wondering whether I should retake (major thought: do I agonize for another 2 months over getting 3-5 more questions right?).  Thoughts?

sarmstrong806

Re: I know this is getting old, but advice on retaking
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 10:11:09 PM »
I think you should go with a 167. It is the general concensus (sp) that you will score a few points lower on the actual test. The highest score you could get would be a 171, and thats if you hit your high mark of 175, which is unlikely. So at the most you could raise your score 4 points, more likely 2 or 3. If 2 or 3 points are worth the stress then go for it.

I think the decision to retake should be independent of the score you got. Did you give it your best effort and were there any extinuating circumstances beyond your control?

I think too may people are freaking out because they are a few points out of their practice range.

A 3.79/167 is still a very strong index.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 07:45:31 AM »
Piglet, I think you're probably fine for T14 with those numbers. I know what you mean though, about being frustrated at the actual vs. prep tests. I was scoring in the 163 range, but got a 159 on the real thing. That reading comp was a killer, and it's usually my best section by far. LG is usually my worst, but I did the best on that in actuality. Go figure. I think it would probably be more stress than it is worth for you to take it again. Your numbers are great and you should be happy  ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 07:58:48 AM »
i agree with everyone else, and am speaking from personal experience. i was scoring 170-173 on practice tests, then ended up with a 166. some relatives wanted to know if i "can" take it over, but i know that i don't want to.  i walked out of there on jun 6 thinking it was a slam dunk, so you never know what october could bring--even a <yikes> lower score, or one that doesn't make much of a difference.  we all know there were TWO unobtainable scores of the highest 10 possible, which is crazy! and luckily for us, all the schools know that too.

if it's really important to you to have a 170+, then sharpen up and best of luck in oct. otherwise, be happy with your excellent score and actually ENJOY the next 6 months.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:01:45 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  Got a 166 on the test, when I had been scoring 170+ in practice.  I have a 3.87 from UVa (on full merit scholarship), good extracurrics, two summers at White & Case, and great recs.  I'm wondering about my chances at T14 too, and really wondering if I should retake. I'm aiming for NYU, Columbia, Penn, and UVa. Advice anyone?

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:03:16 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  Got a 166 on the test, when I had been scoring 170+ in practice.  I have a 3.87 from UVa (on full merit scholarship), good extracurrics, two summers at White & Case, and great recs.  I'm wondering about my chances at T14 too, and really wondering if I should retake. I'm aiming for NYU, Columbia, Penn, and UVa. Advice anyone?

If you really want to attend those schools, then a retake is in order.  Even with your excellent numbers, it just won't cut it.  I got a 164 and will be retaking as well, as I want to have a shot at better schools too.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 08:08:57 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  Got a 166 on the test, when I had been scoring 170+ in practice.  I have a 3.87 from UVa (on full merit scholarship), good extracurrics, two summers at White & Case, and great recs.  I'm wondering about my chances at T14 too, and really wondering if I should retake. I'm aiming for NYU, Columbia, Penn, and UVa. Advice anyone?

If you really want to attend those schools, then a retake is in order.  Even with your excellent numbers, it just won't cut it.  I got a 164 and will be retaking as well, as I want to have a shot at better schools too.

Well I know I have a shot at least at UVA.  I'm in-state and a Jefferson Scholar, and a 166 is close to the median for people they admit from UVA (a large percentage of the class).  The others I agree are a reach.  Does everyone else think they're completely out?

MountainLawBoy

• im a christian and im liberal. URM?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 01:40:33 PM »
im deliberating as well. I got a 159 on the actual test with 23 wrong. i relize that if i miss the same amount of questions on the next test i should be in the 160-163 range.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:00:11 PM »
That depends on the scale for the next test, though. It could be another killer...