Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Graduating in 4 1/2  (Read 326 times)

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Graduating in 4 1/2
« on: June 27, 2005, 04:11:05 PM »
Let's say for UG a student switched schools after their sophomore year(a transfer) and subsequently lost about a semester in credits because they were not accepted and is now facing graduation in 4 1/2 years...Will law schools understand this or is this a problem?

jakeb1881

• Sr. Citizen
  • The board's newest Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Graduating in 4 1/2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:14:09 PM »
Let's say for UG a student switched schools after their sophomore year(a transfer) and subsequently lost about a semester in credits because they were not accepted and is now facing graduation in 4 1/2 years...Will law schools understand this or is this a problem?

I sure hope not, considering I started undergrad in fall '99 and will graduate in spring of '06 (switching majors, transferring schools and taking two years off will do that to you).  Quite honestly, I doubt it will create problems for you.  If you feel like there's anything in your transcript (i.e. a long break or graduating with a half-million credits) that needs explaining, then just explain it.  No biggie.
Attending:  Vanderbilt Law Class of '09

GPA: 3.67
LSAT: 166

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jakeb1881

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 04:46:59 PM »
  Quite honestly, I doubt it will create problems for you.  If you feel like there's anything in your transcript (i.e. a long break or graduating with a half-million credits) that needs explaining, then just explain it.  No biggie.

good point, thanks.

estet_5

• Hoorah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »
If you are thinking of graduating in 4.5, why not stretch it to 5 and take some classes to inflate your GPA?  That is what I would personally do if I were graduating in the middle of an academic year, then go to school next fall.  Always an option I guess.

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:08:59 PM »
If you are thinking of graduating in 4.5, why not stretch it to 5 and take some classes to inflate your GPA?  That is what I would personally do if I were graduating in the middle of an academic year, then go to school next fall.  Always an option I guess.

hmmm I see what you mean, but if that were the case and I wanted to go to Law School Fall 2006, wouldn't I be applying for schools before my Spring 2006 grades came out and therefore the final GPA most likely would not be seen by schools as they made their decision?  Or would they request the new grades and wait for their decision based on that?

estet_5

• Hoorah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »
Im no expert, but if you were waitlisted they would see the updated ones before decision I think...

MeloMan15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
Im no expert, but if you were waitlisted they would see the updated ones before decision I think...

hmmm good point, can anyone confirm this?  When do schools typically make a decision when someone is on the waitlist?

jdw112

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 06:01:45 PM »
I would be hesitant to say ther is a typical time. Some periods are heavier than others, though. I have heard of people getting pulled off the waitlist the day before classes began. I have also heard that students can even get pulled after classes are underway (Probably a few days at most, but I don't know how true this is).