Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So what went wrong  (Read 1725 times)

blondelawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So what went wrong
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »
Just my point of view.  Good luck.  If you're as dedicated to this as it sounds you are, then it seems you have deeper (not superficial $$$) reasons for wanting to be a lawyer and the world needs more lawyers like you. 

I completely agree.  Your outlook and attitude are praiseworthy.  Keep at it.  I strongly believe that with hard work and determination, anyone can do anything... kind of like Field of Dreams "if you build it, it will come" type of thing... I know people who absolutely bombed their MCAT and went on to graduate med school and setup rather successful practices.....

that is so kind, thank you! Youre hired when i start my practice :)
"Do you think she got up one morning and said, 'I think I'll go to law school today'?"

EvieO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 04:22:42 PM »
Hey, bls, I'm gonna PM you later when I have more time, but I just want to agree with others here that you are going to be one of those inspirational success stories in 10 years or so.  Applying Spring semester can really work in your favor, because I've heard that the spring admission stats don't get counted for USNews/rankings/etc., so they are more apt to look past your score.  However, I think it couldn't hurt to take it one more time in October.  If you send in your spring semester app, let them know that you are retaking in October, and then could send them a 150+ score, you'd be golden.  And I'm sure that you are capable of getting that score - maybe having a private tutor would be more useful to you than a big class, albeit more expensive.  Even if you focus your studying and make a big improvement on just a single section, you'd be able to boost your score the 5-8 points you need.

Bhoutros

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »
Hi - your story is like mine.

I took Testmasters and my first diag. test was 148.  Throughout the course I got my score to 158.  I had initially thoughht I'd have to get a 165 to do what I wanted to do, but altered my goal to 160.

I took the test Oct. 2004 and got a 149.  I was so disappointed.  I talked to my TM teacher, and he told me to keep at it.  I did all the homewaork I hadn't finished and did the LG over and over again.  I really improved my score on the games.  The Powerscore Logic Games Bible was a big help.  I re-took the test in Dec. and got a 160! :)  I really think I was over-prepared for the Oct. test.  

I am a non-trad (also blonde :) ) student and I am happy to report that I will be going to scchool this fall.  I applied at 12 schools, have been accepted at 8 and am wait-listed at my #1 choice.  I am not in this for big $ or T14 school or BIGlaw.

I would never give up - you can do it!

blondelawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 04:36:40 PM »
bhoutros--
congrats- i love hearing success stories!! :)
"Do you think she got up one morning and said, 'I think I'll go to law school today'?"

kajrare

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 04:50:02 PM »
bls, I think that you have put in a lot of time and effort, you may want to just want to take a little break and then try to put in your best performance in Oct. After all, if things go well in Oct, and as you've said JMLS takes the highest, then you may not need to worry about the other scores.

Of course, there's a risk in taking a break as well, but I think if you really want to pursue this career then you should definitely try one last time. Unlike other potential retakers, you have nothing to lose by not doing well (not meant condescendingly). That fact, plus your motivation and attitude, makes me think this could work out well for you. Good luck!
GPA: 3.07, BSEE from top 5
June '05: 161

KayeY

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 04:51:09 PM »
I

I took Testmasters and my first diag. test was 148.  Throughout the course I got my score to 158.  I had initially thoughht I'd have to get a 165 to do what I wanted to do, but altered my goal to 160.

I took the test Oct. 2004 and got a 149.  I was so disappointed.  I talked to my TM teacher, and he told me to keep at it.  I did all the homewaork I hadn't finished and did the LG over and over again.  I really improved my score on the games.  The Powerscore Logic Games Bible was a big help.  I re-took the test in Dec. and got a 160! :)  I really think I was over-prepared for the Oct. test.  

I am a non-trad (also blonde :) ) student and I am happy to report that I will be going to scchool this fall.  I applied at 12 schools, have been accepted at 8 and am wait-listed at my #1 choice.  I am not in this for big $ or T14 school or BIGlaw.

I just got my 149 score back from June's test.  I'm so disappointed.  I was looking over the questions, and I missed some stupid and careless questions.  Oh well.  My dream school is Pepperdine in CA.  I already registered for retake in October.  Do i have a chance with Pepperdine?  I don't want to give up, but I'm so sad right now.  

I just called Pepperdine, and they told me that I should really shoot for 159 or higher.  But, I need a 171 next time to even average 160.  What should I do?  

ccorsi

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
I

I just got my 149 score back from June's test.  I'm so disappointed.  I was looking over the questions, and I missed some stupid and careless questions.  Oh well.  My dream school is Pepperdine in CA.  I already registered for retake in October.  Do i have a chance with Pepperdine?  I don't want to give up, but I'm so sad right now.  

I just called Pepperdine, and they told me that I should really shoot for 159 or higher.  But, I need a 171 next time to even average 160.  What should I do?  

I think if you hit a 160 and wrote an addendum to explain away the 149 - you might have a shot at Pepperdine.  Plenty of people have moved up 10 points - so do the work and get going.

C2

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 08:50:42 PM »
Just my point of view.  Good luck.  If you're as dedicated to this as it sounds you are, then it seems you have deeper (not superficial $$$) reasons for wanting to be a lawyer and the world needs more lawyers like you. 

I completely agree.  Your outlook and attitude are praiseworthy.  Keep at it.  I strongly believe that with hard work and determination, anyone can do anything... kind of like Field of Dreams "if you build it, it will come" type of thing... I know people who absolutely bombed their MCAT and went on to graduate med school and setup rather successful practices.....

that is so kind, thank you! Youre hired when i start my practice :)

I'll be looking forward to it!  :)

Really, if there's any way I can help you, just let me know.  You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, so I think you'll be just fine.

kaest4

• Sr. Citizen
  • If your ship hasn't come in, Swim out to IT.
    • MSN Messenger - kaest4@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - kaest42000@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 09:27:28 PM »
Keep at it- You deserve what you want- that's what I have decided. :)