Law School Discussion

So what went wrong

So what went wrong
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:44:19 AM »
With all this discussion about retakes and the scale, I need to ask if anyone can tell me what went wrong in my case...

Long story short-
Been out of school since 1997..decided in November to take the Feb. LSAT, so I took a prep course (Kaplan), scored a 145 on my diag., juggled studying and work, and finally, in Feb I scored a 146. I personally thought the test was very difficult, so I was pretty grateful for that...

I decided to retest, believing I could do better. Retook Kaplan (admittedly, mistake #1), but felt I had a better teacher. I also lost my job, so I was able to dedicate a month to studying and taking prep tests. I believe I took 10 tests. My highest was a 153, lowest was a 146.. I thought the June LSAT was "easier", as most feel on this board, and was expecting a mid-150's score (I am just shooting for a local t4 school, then plan on tranferring up)...

Well, I scored a 143 on the real thing.. Needless to say I was shocked/stunned/flabbergasted...

I refuse to give up... I am going to apply for the spring semester with my 146 as a part time student (i have been working for nearly a decade, so I hope that will help), but my ego was bruised...

Dare I ask-- should I retake in october?? I think I could get in part time in the spring, but want to have a back up plan in case....

Thanks

ccorsi

Re: So what went wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:56:09 AM »
With all this discussion about retakes and the scale, I need to ask if anyone can tell me what went wrong in my case...

Long story short-
Been out of school since 1997..decided in November to take the Feb. LSAT, so I took a prep course (Kaplan), scored a 145 on my diag., juggled studying and work, and finally, in Feb I scored a 146. I personally thought the test was very difficult, so I was pretty grateful for that...

I decided to retest, believing I could do better. Retook Kaplan (admittedly, mistake #1), but felt I had a better teacher. I also lost my job, so I was able to dedicate a month to studying and taking prep tests. I believe I took 10 tests. My highest was a 153, lowest was a 146.. I thought the June LSAT was "easier", as most feel on this board, and was expecting a mid-150's score (I am just shooting for a local t4 school, then plan on tranferring up)...

Well, I scored a 143 on the real thing.. Needless to say I was shocked/stunned/flabbergasted...

I refuse to give up... I am going to apply for the spring semester with my 146 as a part time student (i have been working for nearly a decade, so I hope that will help), but my ego was bruised...

Dare I ask-- should I retake in october?? I think I could get in part time in the spring, but want to have a back up plan in case....

Thanks

What are the schools?  I honestly think it will be tough with those LSAT scores.  I'm not saying that is the way it should be, but it is unfortunately the way it is - the LSAT makes or breaks you.

Most schools list their PT stats so you can try to determine if you are in their zone or not.

Some on this board have tried other courses and it has worked wonders.  If you could manage to break into the 150s it would seriously increase your chances.

I feel for you - good luck with whatever you decide.

C2

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »
I think you should re-take, most definitely. You have already proven your tenacity, and this is what counts in the long run. I scored much lower on this test than in my practices, and I was really disappointed. But I'm definitely going to take it again this October, and I intend to do better.
If you have the money, I would highly recommend a TestMasters course. While I didn't reach my goal, I made an improvement of several points over the early diags. And some people make HUGE gains by taking the course. Don't give up!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 11:59:07 AM »
I am really just looking at tier 4 schools... John Marshall in particular since I am in Chicago..I was hoping a 146 and my experience in advertising would account for something...Also I am 30, so I am older (relatively speaking) and I hoped they would take that into account too...

ccorsi

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »
I am really just looking at tier 4 schools... John Marshall in particular since I am in Chicago..I was hoping a 146 and my experience in advertising would account for something...Also I am 30, so I am older (relatively speaking) and I hoped they would take that into account too...

What are their 25-75 ranges for LSAT?  Do they list P/T stats?

Also, most schools average LSAT scores - so your 146 becomes a 144.5 after your last score.

C2

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 12:05:09 PM »
John Marshall takes the highest (thank goodness)And I am finding I don't necesarrily trust what schools publish, as I am meeting people who get into schools with scores outside the prinited LSAT boundaries (lower). For example, JMLS claims their lowest admitted LSAT is a 152, however, I've met people who got in with 145's...

LegalLassie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 12:07:15 PM »
Have you thought about doing a Testmasters course?  I don't know if you have the time/money, but it really is a great course and I am sure it would help you a lot.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 12:09:42 PM »
I'm not as much of an expert as some on this board, but it definitely seems the Kaplan method is not the best method for you.  I tried it also, and it didn't work for me at all, it just didn't seem to mesh, if that makes sense.  I would recommend another prep course, but honestly, I would get a few books first, and figure out what method fits with your learning style best, testmasters, powerscore, whatever.  I found that powerscore seemed to work best for me, but everyone learns differently.
Good luck! 

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 12:10:10 PM »
Legallassie-
I am sort of hestitant now, I just wasted $1000 for Kaplan, and took it 2x.. Didn't do anything in regards to helping my score..I'd never heard of testmasters until i came here, and I am kicking myself for not going that route- as it seems it's a better course than Kaplan!

gailrules

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 12:15:33 PM »
Oh my gosh it is soooo good to see a post from somebody who is struggling like me.

I got a 153 on my first diagnostic with Kaplan and after their $1200 6 week course, in June I scored a.....154. I am so frustrated because it's not like I didn't study. I work a full time job and had limited study time available to me. I considered canceling my score because I knew my nerves got to me at the test site, but I didn't because I wrote really good little writing sample. If it were 3 1/2 hours of in-class essay writing I'd kick the tests ass. But why would anyone want to go to the trouble of grading all of that??

I am seriously getting frustrated with this process. I am proud of my 3.3 in 7 semesters with 2 1/2 majors from a respected university. I took hard classes in college and worked my ass off. I'm almost ready to say "@#!* it" and quit trying because I am more than 2 numbers which aren't very representative of my abilities anyway!!!