Law School Discussion

St. John's Waitlist....

St. John's Waitlist....
« on: June 27, 2005, 07:16:39 AM »
I called to make sure that Columbia had sent my final graduate transcript and the lady said..."I noticed you only want to be considered for day, that will damper your chances"...this to me could mean to things....
1. The chance of getting off waitlist may be smaller this year (as of this point)
2. Or it confirms a suspicion that I have had, if you don't mark you want to be considered for everything you kind of get knocked down a few notches...I hope this is not the case because I really like St. John's and it is not that I won't do anything to go there, it is just I have already been accepted with money to several other schools for full-time and I would rather go and then if I hate it transfer after my first year....

Now that I have written a book...anyone heard anything or have any thoughts on this exchange?

Re: St. John's Waitlist....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 08:16:19 AM »
I called to make sure that Columbia had sent my final graduate transcript and the lady said..."I noticed you only want to be considered for day, that will damper your chances"...this to me could mean to things....
1. The chance of getting off waitlist may be smaller this year (as of this point)
2. Or it confirms a suspicion that I have had, if you don't mark you want to be considered for everything you kind of get knocked down a few notches...I hope this is not the case because I really like St. John's and it is not that I won't do anything to go there, it is just I have already been accepted with money to several other schools for full-time and I would rather go and then if I hate it transfer after my first year....

Now that I have written a book...anyone heard anything or have any thoughts on this exchange?

You have pretty good stats for St. John's (especially with a degree from Columbia). Did you just apply late or something?
Anyway, the way many schools work with waitlists is like this: When spots open up in the FT program, they ask students that were accepted to the PT program if they want that slot. Then they fill the PT program with students from the waitlist. Sometimes waitlist candidates even make it from the waitlist to PT & then from PT to FT all before school even starts. It's sort of a hierarchy. Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the comment about the stats...I dunno what happened. This process has taught me that sometimes numbers are not guarantees either way. I was accepted to one that shocked me (not going because I want to stay in New York Area and was rejected at one that shocked me. Oh well, maybe I will bite the bullet and ask to be considered for full time- if that is the way most wait lists operate, then why even pretend like you don't have to be open to part time? Oh and I applied in the second week of January.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:31:08 AM »
oh and i was hoping the columbia grad degree would help...apparently i just wasted a lot of money and time...jk...

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:40:24 AM »
Oh well, maybe I will bite the bullet and ask to be considered for full time

Lol. You mean ask to be considered for part time. FT= Day, PT= Night. Don't make that mistake in your call/letter. That'll just confuse them more. Good luck.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:45:02 AM »
yeah that would be funny...I can just imagine

"after a great deal of soul searching and contemplation, I have decided that I am willing to attend your school full-time...let me know"

I would love to be there when they read that!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 11:05:10 AM »
OK, just one last thing to consider, though. If you get accepted to the St. John's PT, you almost have to accept the seat. You can't just join the list to "play the game." This is because they will ask you for your seat deposit & whatnot almost immediately after acceptance. If you decline the PT seat, they obviously won't bump you up to the FT spot. All you'll be doing are killing any chances you have at FT.

Also, FYI, Brooklyn usually follows the same process. They've been admitting people to the PT program from the waitlist lately. So, if you aren't willing to actually go part-time at either school, you might as well just stay on the full-time waitlists.

DLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 11:53:12 AM »
Just got off the phone with them, and the lady told me that my file has been sent back to the committee for reconsideration. I asked if that was a good thing and she said it definitely was. Thats what USD had said to me just before they rejected me so as you can figure, my hopes are not that high. Guess we'll see.

BTW I had sent them a letter shortly after being waitlisted that I will automatically accept a PT slot. Wonder if that will play any role in their decision making.