Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is the best "pre-law school prep" book other than PLS2?  (Read 1815 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best "pre-law school prep" book other than PLS2?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 04:14:47 PM »
I don't remember exactly what he wrote in the book but I think his basic assumption was that a student has to teach themselves the law anyway so it is a waste of time to go to class.
Attending: Texas

j.rosh

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 08:03:18 PM »
bump

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 06:26:19 PM »
I believe that his theory on class attendance was two-fold:
1) Attending class would take time away from those activities on-which you should really focus (learning black-letter-law and working HYPOs)
2) Attending class will tend to confuse the average 1L because many professors tend to waste class-time playing "hide-the-ball" and talking about policy rather than "black-letter-law".  This wouldn't be a waste IF they actually tested on policy-theory, but most law exams test black-letter-law.

I'm not sure that he's correct in his assumption that you can skip class and somehow be better in-tune with what the professor will expect on a final exam, but I think that Aticus does provide several good suggestions for prep materials in PLS2.

- Comm-Law

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 07:05:09 PM »
Um.  I don't know whether or not some professors will TOLERATE skipping class.  I'm sure there must be some professors who care about attendance, no matter what they profess.   ::)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

makotosan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 10:20:16 PM »
Um.  I don't know whether or not some professors will TOLERATE skipping class.  I'm sure there must be some professors who care about attendance, no matter what they profess.   ::)
Right. Don't most schools have an attendance policy? Temple professes strict adherence to 80% minimum attendance... but effed if I know how they enforce it (yet, at least)
Attending: Temple ($)
Accepted: Seton Hall (full $), St. John's (full $), Hofstra (full $), Lewis and Clark ($), Pitt ($)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=makotosan

http://excessivedicta.blogspot.com/

btideroll

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 11:29:29 PM »
Right. Don't most schools have an attendance policy? Temple professes strict adherence to 80% minimum attendance... but effed if I know how they enforce it (yet, at least)

...the idea is to adapt accordingly to your school. Those who can't adapt will not succeed. You aren't to take everything as the "WORD". HE doesn't necessarily agree with going to class because it is a waste of everyone's time but I don't remember if he was telling you NOT TO GO.

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 02:18:36 AM »

...the idea is to adapt accordingly to your school. Those who can't adapt will not succeed. You aren't to take everything as the "WORD". HE doesn't necessarily agree with going to class because it is a waste of everyone's time but I don't remember if he was telling you NOT TO GO.

he calls going to class "a waste of time", but he does say you should go to review the material you have already learned on your own and because of school's attendance polies -- ch 11 p.319-320

i think somewhere else he also tells you not to buy any of the books for classes either...i think there is some good advice in the book, but taking it all to heart would be a mistake (and rather unrealistic) imo.