Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my score situation -- what I am going to do.  (Read 2147 times)

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
Re: my score situation -- what I am going to do.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 06:49:03 PM »
Hey Lobe:

I think you're definitely putting way too much pressure on yourself.  Above 175 is extremely difficult to obtain.  I'm sure you can do it, but accepting nothing less than 175 might be an unrealistic goal.  It is hybris to assume one can obtain a score of 175+ for certain.  Anyways, I'm not sure what school you want to go to, but ~170 will get you into almost every tier 1 school, unless you are aiming for Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.  So you really have nothing to worry about.  Stressing to obtain 175+ might not be a good thing, b/c you'll be more inclined to cancel your score when you might've done very well on the exam.

Postponing until October is definitely a good idea.  I made that choice too.  You can always rationalize your decision that more time to study is always better.  My reasoning was if I wrote it now, I am most likely to get circa 165, but if I study for a few more months, I can probably get my score to 170+.  That is the difference between getting into Columbia or Georgetown (not that Georgetown is a bad school).  If I'm gonna pay the same tuition, I rather be going to Columbia.  As I learned the hard way, the brand name of a school does matter.  Unfortunately, LSAT is everything when concerning law school admissions.

Hope this helped.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

newguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 08:58:31 PM »
moogle,

rest assured a 165 will probably not cut it at Georgetown...unless u have a 3.8+ and something else, their median is well into the high 160s...good luck.

Just nail the LSAT and get a 170 in October and you will be picking them!

rallygrig

• ICQ Messenger - 105975766
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 10:27:47 AM »
I think you can use the time between now and October more wisely if you focus on strengthening (o my - can't you tell I am studying for the LSAT) the rest of your application. Go volunteer somewhere, write a great statement, think of a way to show your PhD experience in a positive way, etc. The difference in score will not matter as much if you get over 170.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 07:57:16 PM »
lobe-you are a freak.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 01:09:46 PM »
uh, yeah...that.

superiorlobe

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 01:43:43 PM »
Well, the exam is already underway.  I guess I could still dash over there and try and squeeze in the last two sections.  Might come out with a 130 with some luck....

But seriously, folks, Now that I have decided to postpone the LSAT and go for a better score in October, I feel more relaxed and I think I will try and write an article and get it accepted for publication between now and September.  I figure that is probably the best thing I can do for my application right now.  Probably even better than getting a 180.

Anyone have any ideas for an article?

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 02:35:54 PM »
Dude, you completely psyched yourself out for nothing. If you are obsessed on this now, you will be for October too. Stop taking practice tests for at least a week and learn how to chill. Your life will not be over if you get a 171 instead of a 175, and even if you don't get into your top choice school, you still have the credentials to be successful. The one thing that is missing there is the ability to properly prioritize and keep yourself calm under tough situations. Ok, that was two things. But forcing anxiety on yourself is self-defeating. Your success in law school and as a lawyer will have a lot to do with how you handle tough situations and not getting too wrapped up in details that very well may be irrelevant. Look at the big picture too - it's important to stand back and do that now and then.

I used to be a perfectionist and it was killing me. I still try to do my best, but I've learned which battles are worth fighting and which ones are just wearing me down. If you will only settle for 175 then you are dooming yourself to failure, anxiety, and perpetual disappointment.

One last comment: the weekend before your LSAT, don't take any practice tests. That greatly contributes to most people overanalyzing their progress and freaking out, as it did to you.