Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ronald Reagan "Greatest American"  (Read 1566 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Ronald Reagan "Greatest American"
« on: June 27, 2005, 01:31:09 AM »
http://television.aol.com/greatestamerican

The American public never ceases to amaze me.  All the guy did was appeal to Southerners and get them to vote Republican.  No small feat, granted, but that hardly makes him the "greatest American."  Lincoln held the country together.  Washington helped gain its independence.  King led the movement to empower a whole race of people.  Reagan gives the southern redneck undue influence and he's the "greatest American."  Right.

Everyman

Re: Ronald Reagan "Greatest American"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:47:19 AM »
Although I don't agree with Reagan winning, one could argue that he worked to strengthen the nation's defenses, cut taxes, put Soviet communism out of its misery, and tried to bring back moral respectability to the gov't after the excesses of the 60's and 70's.  Plus, these things tend to be skewed toward more recent presidents.  I think there was a poll of the greatest president ever not too long ago, and Clinton and Reagan both finished in the top 3 or 4.  He probably got the "recent death" sympathy vote, too.  Also, I can't think of any good reason (outside of policy differences) not to vote for him.  One might hear the following arguments about the other people:

(1) Lincoln - Utter disregard for the Constitution, which is more important than the Union.  Also, only issued the Emancipation Proclamation in the South because it was a political move and not a moral move having to do with natural rights.  Inept war leader, did a terrible job at choosing generals.

(2) King - It has been argued that he was a traitor, far too cozy with the communist party.  I would personally argue that he was but one builder of a legacy that was already built or on its way.  There very well could have been a number of people that played the role he did, unlike maybe a Marcus Garvey, CH Houston, Dubois, or Douglass.

(3) Washington - He had slaves.  He might have been basically controlled by Hamilton for much of his first term.  He is the toughest one of these to make an argument against, IMO.

I'm not a big Reagan fan, I would have probably voted for Jefferson if I knew that was going on.

Everyman

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 06:55:46 AM »
After posting, I realized that this is on BLSD and not off topic.  I wasn't trying to flame with my King comments. :o  I think that he was nice and all, but I think that he was essentially replaceable (right place, right time) and that the other guys were truly great.  Garvey had some stones, and empowered scads of people.  The courage and leadership he displayed was commendable.  If I remember right, it was Houston who thought to destroy Plessy by arguing that separate is inherently unequal.  That's unique brilliance/greatness.  And so on.  It's not necessarily that I am trying to bring King down, it is that I think others did things that were more substantial.

PresClay_00

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 06:56:41 AM »
it would do wonders for everyone if you realized how little you actually know, Alcibiades

elegantpearl01

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:12:23 AM »
I sort of agree with Al...

B....alot of that stuff you cited about King is propaganda put out by the FBI.. You really can't compare King to DuBois, DuBois was a social scientist. You can't compare him to Garvey, because Garvey wasn't advocating civil righs per se, but he was advocating a back to Africa movement.  King shouldn't be compared to Marshall and Houston, because he wasn't an attorney or working in the legal field, so why would he be an architect of the legal strategy for the civil rights movement. I think King deserves his credit, he was a motivator, a leader....he went further than many others went. Of course we all stand on the shoulders of others, but King lived and died for a movement. Even Malcolm X (one of my personal heroes) acknowledged how great King's role was in the movement.  The thing about communist doesn't hold water for me...sorry.

ETA: How do you figure King was replaceable??? Since his death, I have yet to see anyone replace him.  I have never heard anyone argue that Garvey was greater than King (I think the comparsion isn't valid for reasons stated above). B, what is your race if I may ask??? I just have never seen anyone of color make that argument about King. 

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 11:10:55 AM »
Although I don't agree with Reagan winning, one could argue that he worked to strengthen the nation's defenses, cut taxes, put Soviet communism out of its misery, and tried to bring back moral respectability to the gov't after the excesses of the 60's and 70's.  Plus, these things tend to be skewed toward more recent presidents.  I think there was a poll of the greatest president ever not too long ago, and Clinton and Reagan both finished in the top 3 or 4.  He probably got the "recent death" sympathy vote, too.  Also, I can't think of any good reason (outside of policy differences) not to vote for him.  One might hear the following arguments about the other people:

(1) Lincoln - Utter disregard for the Constitution, which is more important than the Union.  Also, only issued the Emancipation Proclamation in the South because it was a political move and not a moral move having to do with natural rights.  Inept war leader, did a terrible job at choosing generals.

(2) King - It has been argued that he was a traitor, far too cozy with the communist party.  I would personally argue that he was but one builder of a legacy that was already built or on its way.  There very well could have been a number of people that played the role he did, unlike maybe a Marcus Garvey, CH Houston, Dubois, or Douglass.

(3) Washington - He had slaves.  He might have been basically controlled by Hamilton for much of his first term.  He is the toughest one of these to make an argument against, IMO.

I'm not a big Reagan fan, I would have probably voted for Jefferson if I knew that was going on.

Hm, I will give you the defenses and taxes, but communism was already on its way out, and I wouldn't call Reagan the paragon of morality (I'd give that to Carter).  And while Lincoln might not have been the best commander, and while he might not have really freed the slaves, the war was won, and I think that was a great accomplishment.  He would have received my vote.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 11:12:27 AM »
it would do wonders for everyone if you realized how little you actually know, Alcibiades

Um, did I say that I know everything?  I gave my opinion.  If you want to dispute my claims, feel free.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 11:31:25 AM »
ketchup is a vegetable  :D

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

PresClay_00

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 11:50:13 AM »
your synopsis of their legacies as men says it all.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 12:36:05 PM »
your synopsis of their legacies as men says it all.

Lol.  Very well.