Law School Discussion

Do campus visits matter in admissions?

veeleigh

Do campus visits matter in admissions?
« on: June 26, 2005, 08:03:49 PM »
edit.

Re: Do campus visits matter in admissions?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »
Doubt it, unless you end up on a wait list.

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:48:39 PM »
Do adcomms know if you visit their school during the application process?  I know they make you register for the tours, so does that info ever play a role in decisions by demonstrating interest? Can you meet people at the law school who would potentially have a voice in your acceptance/denial of admission?

First of all, congratulations on your LSAT and GPA.  You must be an amazing person to achieve so high. 

With your LSAT and GPA, if you are telling the truth, (on LSD you can never be too trustful) you would have no problem going to HYS.  In other words, "they will be all over your male private part."   

Rather, the more appropriate question is, how much scholarship you will be getting from HYS.

So if I were you, I would visit HYS and try to decide if I like the campus.  Not for the personal statement but just to choose between them before you even apply.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 03:02:33 PM »
This opinion is based purely off of what I have read. I have no first-hand experience so take that disclaimer into consideration.

I don't think things such as taking the school tour get noted in your admission file. Asking insightful questions of the admissions staff -- or otherwise impressing them -- while you are visiting does from what I have read. This probably will not seal the deal for you, but it certainly will give you an extra little boost.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »
You know where taking a school tour helps?  In your personal statement.  For my 1st choice school I added an extra paragraph to my PS in which I expressed that the school was my first choice and I listed a few things about the campus/faculty/library, etc that had really impressed me.  It won't make a difference in their decision on you if you're an auto-admit or auto-reject, but if you're somewhere in that middle group, you never know what's going to help and what won't so you might as well give it a try, right?

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 06:41:14 AM »
I've visited Duke, UNC, Wake, and UVA.  Every time I met with a Dean or admissions officer.  None seemed to make any note at all that I had ever been there.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 08:49:30 AM »
I've visited Duke, UNC, Wake, and UVA.  Every time I met with a Dean or admissions officer.  None seemed to make any note at all that I had ever been there.

I am not doubting you, but I am curious how you know they didn't make a note regarding you?

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:05:27 AM »
It's been a year so I can't recall exactly for all of them, but I remember asking a few secretaries if any notatiions were ever made about visits and them telling me no.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 02:46:05 PM »
A physical notation may not be made, but I was speaking more of when an individual goes through your file, reads your PS, etc.  They may not remember later on that you mentioned that you had visited the school, but you never know, you may just end up higher in their "maybe" pile than others b/c you left them with a positive impression.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »
Nope.