Law School Discussion

Do campus visits matter in admissions?

A.

• View Profile
Re: Do campus visits matter in admissions?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 03:30:26 PM »
Do adcomms know if you visit their school during the application process?  I know they make you register for the tours, so does that info ever play a role in decisions by demonstrating interest? Can you meet people at the law school who would potentially have a voice in your acceptance/denial of admission?

First of all, congratulations on your LSAT and GPA.  You must be an amazing person to achieve so high. 

With your LSAT and GPA, if you are telling the truth, (on LSD you can never be too trustful) you would have no problem going to HYS.  In other words, "they will be all over your male private part."   

Rather, the more appropriate question is, how much scholarship you will be getting from HYS.

So if I were you, I would visit HYS and try to decide if I like the campus.  Not for the personal statement but just to choose between them before you even apply.

Either this person is incredibly uninformed or this is flame.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 07:50:05 PM »
I don't think things such as taking the school tour get noted in your admission file. Asking insightful questions of the admissions staff -- or otherwise impressing them -- while you are visiting does from what I have read. This probably will not seal the deal for you, but it certainly will give you an extra little boost.

So if I were to visit Y/S only once before making a decision (I need to figure stuff out sometime in Feb/March so admit weekend is too late), should I go BEFORE I've applied/received a decision to try to get a subtle boost or AFTER I've been accepted?

Lol, you're being quite presumptuous.  It is very likely that you won't get into Y or S until February or March, if at all (they are not Harvard).  You should visit if you should get in.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 06:05:16 AM »
You should get an interview with the Dean of Admissions at both schools. 

Check out "How to Get into Law School" by Susan Estrich.  In that book, the author details what to do to get an interview with the Dean and what to expect in said interview. 

IMO, you are going to have to pick a school.  That is, pick a favorite.  Which one do you prefer and why?  If you try to tell multiple people that you want to go to their school, they will notice your insincerity.  Stanford, as well as Yale, will not want to admit you just so that you can reject them.  You need to express your interest in the school and - pretty much - guarantee that you will attend THEIR school.  Otherwise, both may reject you just because they may think you are on the fence.

It's been a year so I can't recall exactly for all of them, but I remember asking a few secretaries if any notatiions were ever made about visits and them telling me no.

You might not have made an impact.  One should only have an interview is s/he is POSISITVE that s/he will stand out, in a good way.  Otherwise, if the interview is lackluster, one risks becoming an automatic reject.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 06:17:47 AM »
If you do visit, the main if not only benefit will be the guidance you are given directly or indirectly for how you should structure your personal statement and application.  For this reason, you want to meet with someone who actually evaluates the applications and not just an office staffer.  Also, I would make these trips over the summer or very early fall before they get busy, while they still have time to chat.

I had an hour long discussion with the dean of admissions at my soon-to-be school the summer before I applied.  I had been rejected the previous cycle.  Then he pretty much immediately left the position, so the "remember me?" factor was nonexistent.  Still, I learned a lot about how to apply to THAT school.  Ironically, some bad advice came with it too.  For example, he told me I shouldn't bother retaking the LSAT since my score was good and I shouldn't risk it going down. I retook it and improved 5 points -- and judging from my 1)lack of scholarship and 2) relatively late admission (March) that may have been the difference.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 06:20:28 AM »
Not really much I can add except that it matters only if you make an impression. Otherwise you're just some jerk taking their time. Ask insightful questions that show you care about the school and why the school should care abuot YOU.

Good luck

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 06:31:46 AM »
If you do visit, the main if not only benefit will be the guidance you are given directly or indirectly for how you should structure your personal statement and application.  For this reason, you want to meet with someone who actually evaluates the applications and not just an office staffer.  Also, I would make these trips over the summer or very early fall before they get busy, while they still have time to chat.

Thanks for stating that!  I had forgotten to specify that one should try to meet with the Dean BEFORE applying.

:)

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 06:35:12 AM »
And don't be afraid to ask direct questions, like what are you looking for in a personal statement? Can you describe a particularly good PS and what made it good? Same with the resume/application.

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 10:00:13 PM »
Do adcomms know if you visit their school during the application process?  I know they make you register for the tours, so does that info ever play a role in decisions by demonstrating interest? Can you meet people at the law school who would potentially have a voice in your acceptance/denial of admission?

First of all, congratulations on your LSAT and GPA.  You must be an amazing person to achieve so high. 

With your LSAT and GPA, if you are telling the truth, (on LSD you can never be too trustful) you would have no problem going to HYS.  In other words, "they will be all over your male private part."   

Rather, the more appropriate question is, how much scholarship you will be getting from HYS.

So if I were you, I would visit HYS and try to decide if I like the campus.  Not for the personal statement but just to choose between them before you even apply.

Either this person is incredibly uninformed or this is flame.

Who are you?  Why do you go around  being a smart-ass who knows everything. 
You think you look smarter by being rude and sarcastic.  Your crazy.
What did you get on your LSAT??  Did you even take it??

I mean, what do you know about HYS for you to just disparage and dismiss my comment or any other people's comment so arrogantly?

Do you goto HYS??  If you do then you should act little more professional.

Are you even T-14??  Tier-1???  What are you???

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 07:31:02 AM »
By the way, you should try to determine how the apps are evaluated. If I recall correctly, at H, the evaluations are distributed to professors (at least 2? or maybe 1 prof and 1 addcomm). In either case, if the process is weighed heavily toward the professors, spending the weekend cleaning the an addcomm's pool will get you only as far as to pass your app along to 1 or 2 professors for review. It's unlikely that you'll be able to identify which professors at H will review your app so you are unlikely to get any "remember me" points (at least from a professor).