Law School Discussion

Am I making excuses....

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I making excuses....
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 07:50:40 AM »
wow...i can see why youre so frustrated. 

im completely floored by the fact that youve taken the lsat twice already...and you want to take it again!  once was enough for me...

if youre that set on law school, and if you have time to wait for the scores to clear, why not just wait until youre done with your masters and then take time off to study for the lsats?  it might add another year or so (depending on when you finish your current degree) but it also sounds like youre willing to wait.  i guess im just wondering why youre trying to do all of this concurrently and put so much strain on yourself and your relationship(s). 

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 07:52:55 AM »
i'm with you, shadow creeper.  wallowing in the low to mid 150's.  i work 10+ hours/day and i find that my scores are a little worse when i take practice tests after work.  actually, even when i take tests on saturdays, i start to feel a worn out towards the end of the test;  i think as result of a long work week.  i agree with the last poster that learning the games setups and inferences cold is a good way to pick up points.  thats what ive been focusing on for the past few weeks.  but another thing that i plan on doing, and you might want to think about, is really taking it easy this weekend.  i plan on taking my final full praqctice test after work today, studying just an hour or so (reviewing games) on saturday and completely taking sunday off.  i'm think being refreshed and recharged for monday will be more benefitial for picking up a point or two than driving myself crazy all weekend and being worn out during the real thing.  just a thought.

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 11:31:47 AM »
wow...i can see why youre so frustrated. 

im completely floored by the fact that youve taken the lsat twice already...and you want to take it again!  once was enough for me...

if youre that set on law school, and if you have time to wait for the scores to clear, why not just wait until youre done with your masters and then take time off to study for the lsats?  it might add another year or so (depending on when you finish your current degree) but it also sounds like youre willing to wait.  i guess im just wondering why youre trying to do all of this concurrently and put so much strain on yourself and your relationship(s). 

This is probably going to seem extremely stupid, but the reason why I would rather not wait is because I want to get in and out of school and start enjoying the rest of my life. I would be afraid if I did not try to get through it all now, I would start living life and then wind up with a hubby and some kids and have all of these responsibilities that I do not have now. Then I would have to put it off even longer and maybe even sacrafice my dreams. That is why I would rather do it now, if it is at all possible. This is the same reason why I refused to make my double major take longer than four years. This is also why I work full time and go to school for my masters full time at night. I want to be in and out, I dont want to keep everything dragging along. I am tired of dicking around with all of this.

i'm with you, shadow creeper.  wallowing in the low to mid 150's.  i work 10+ hours/day and i find that my scores are a little worse when i take practice tests after work.  actually, even when i take tests on saturdays, i start to feel a worn out towards the end of the test;  i think as result of a long work week.  i agree with the last poster that learning the games setups and inferences cold is a good way to pick up points.  thats what ive been focusing on for the past few weeks.  but another thing that i plan on doing, and you might want to think about, is really taking it easy this weekend.  i plan on taking my final full praqctice test after work today, studying just an hour or so (reviewing games) on saturday and completely taking sunday off.  i'm think being refreshed and recharged for monday will be more benefitial for picking up a point or two than driving myself crazy all weekend and being worn out during the real thing.  just a thought.

I agree with you Pross... I will have to see if I can make sense out of some of the games that have been killing me, scoring better on them is probably the only way I will be able to really move my score where I want it to be.

Thanks for all the opinions.

~K

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 11:32:49 AM »
shadow...mind if i ask how old you are?

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 11:44:02 AM »
Dsong,

I will be 23 in August.

I know I am by no means old, and if I do not do well on the test, I do have time to wait if I need to, and then try again down the line. I would just rather do it while I donít have house payments, kids to pay for, a family to support.

At least now, I could up and go to any school I got accepted into. I guess I want to have the freedom to do it without having to take into consideration other people or kids. I know that if I wait 5 years, since my boyfriend and I are serious, I will probably be married and at least have to consider him. I guess it comes down to being somewhat selfish and not wanting someone to stand in the way, now I could tell him, if you donít want to come thatís your problem..

Again, I understand this probably sounds stupid, but to be able to make a commitment to law school without responsibilities would make more sense to me. Than trying to fit it in to my family and life priorities.

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 11:49:41 AM »
Has anyone here heard of a person just taking the LSAT without studying at all and gotten a really good score on natural talent alone?  I mean, for the benefit of the doubt assume that he/she knew the format of the test and enough general information to not have to read the directions at the beginning of the section, etc.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 06:30:48 PM »
Well, I did not actually get where I wanted to, but I will still go ahead and take the June LSAT. I raised my score by a little bit less than 10 points and I think I'll be admitted by the law schools I have applied to.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 07:06:20 PM »
One of my good friends in college had a boyfriend that took it cold and got over a 170 and into georgetown ft program.  He was a special case, unbelievably intelligent, just one of those people.

And an attorney I work with was telling me about a guy he studied for the lsat with in college.  He was in another league too.  He didn't have to diagram games out.  He could just picture it in his head and see the answers.  I assume he got over a 170 as well.

Must be nice...

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2004, 05:41:02 AM »
One of my good friends in college had a boyfriend that took it cold and got over a 170 and into georgetown ft program.  He was a special case, unbelievably intelligent, just one of those people.

And an attorney I work with was telling me about a guy he studied for the lsat with in college.  He was in another league too.  He didn't have to diagram games out.  He could just picture it in his head and see the answers.  I assume he got over a 170 as well.

Must be nice...

Wow, wouldn't we all like to have that kind of clarity. I can not even imagine what it would be like to sit back and just glance at something and know the answers.

Has anyone here heard of a person just taking the LSAT without studying at all and gotten a really good score on natural talent alone?  I mean, for the benefit of the doubt assume that he/she knew the format of the test and enough general information to not have to read the directions at the beginning of the section, etc.

I doubt that most people have the talent that Jacy mentioned above. I would gather most of the people taking the test do not go in cold, they study for some time and either meet their goals, or come close to them with hopes that on the real deal it will all come together. I would not advise someone to just walk in and take the test. Since scores are averaged at most schools, if you do really bad, or miss your goal by alot, you have more or less set up a situation that will cause you more aggitation and stress than you will ever want in your life. Trust me, I know this feeling all too well.

M2

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 06:26:21 AM »
Actually I think a lot of people do go in cold, but then end up scoring around 150. I know three people that didn't even bother studying because a 150ish score was good enough for them.