Law School Discussion

am i a minority?

_____

• View Profile
Re: am i a minority?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 08:16:41 PM »
yeah i just dont like being dishonest so i want to be sure. but in my PS, i should mention my father is anglo too, correct? or should i just say im hispanic w/out mentioning my father's side of the family?

Look, if these people are going to offer you an advantage just because your mom was born somewhere else, don't sweat it.  My father is from El Salvador and my mother is white, and I put down hispanic all the time.

It is totally, 100% legitimate to put hispanic, because--let's face it--you usually can't put white anymore.  They're always saying "white (non-hispanic)."

Just check the latino box and move on. 

You don't have to play it up anywhere to fall into the category--I mean, I learned Spanish in high school and college.  Until I was 14,  I thought my father had learned Spanish in college, just like my mom, only he was better at it.  But I always checked the latino box, even when I was a little girl because, by our society's definitions, that's what I am. 

And that's what you are too--so if they're going to offer you an advantage just for checking one little box, take it. 

You're not lying at all--in fact, it is more honest to answer "latino" than "white (non-hispanic)" because you can't honestly say you are non-hispanic.

Check the box and move on.  (Playing up heritage in your app might be fraudulent, but checking the box? Never.)

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 08:19:07 PM »
That's not necessarily true.  I'm appalachian white and I've never used it.  If your marks are good, you'll get in without the extra nudge.  I just wish people would move in the direction of getting by on your own, instead of looking for help.

Your statement about people looking for help is incorrect.  If someone gets an added boost because they check a box does not mean they were looking for it.  The adcomms are the ones who gave it to them whether they were "looking for it" or not.

If you check it, you want the help.  If you want in on your own, be anonymous

Playa222

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 08:24:41 PM »
That's not necessarily true.  I'm appalachian white and I've never used it.  If your marks are good, you'll get in without the extra nudge.  I just wish people would move in the direction of getting by on your own, instead of looking for help.

Your statement about people looking for help is incorrect.  If someone gets an added boost because they check a box does not mean they were looking for it.  The adcomms are the ones who gave it to them whether they were "looking for it" or not.

Again not always true.

My analysis

you check it: you're proud of who you are and your heritage
you don't check it: you're not proud of who you are, being anonymous in my opinion is like saying you're ashamed of your race and don't want people to know

I'm Black and I'm Proud!

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 08:32:06 PM »

Again not always true.

My analysis

you check it: you're proud of who you are and your heritage
you don't check it: you're not proud of who you are, being anonymous in my opinion is like saying you're ashamed of your race and don't want people to know

I'm Black and I'm Proud!

Oh, I'm proud of my race.  But I'm also proud to make it on my own.  That whole you don't check it your not proud is lame.  You know what your checking and you know why your checking it, it has nothing to do with pride.  It's all about the hand-out.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 08:33:15 PM »
If you can make it on your own then do it.  If you can't then get help, nothing wrong with that. 

sarmstrong806

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2005, 10:58:23 PM »
ok look in real life i could give a crap what race i am, but for law admissions purposes i want to use it to my advantage as much as i can. my dad is full caucasian and my mom is full mexican-american, so i do have a white last name, but i a not full caucasian nor full hispanic. what do i put on my application? am i a URM? can i play this up in my statement? will i be considered as much of a hispanic as someone named 'lopez'?
 ???

Go for it. Its pretty much a no brainer. If a school allowed you to sumbit one lsat or another would you send in a 155 over a 163?

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2005, 11:37:26 PM »
ok look in real life i could give a darn what race i am, but for law admissions purposes i want to use it to my advantage as much as i can. my dad is full caucasian and my mom is full mexican-american, so i do have a white last name, but i a not full caucasian nor full hispanic. what do i put on my application? am i a URM? can i play this up in my statement? will i be considered as much of a hispanic as someone named 'lopez'?
 ???
Many law shcools don't have much space in the boxes section for 1/2 this and 1/2 that. If you mark latino, then that's what you are. If you mark white, then that's what you are...At least when it comes to checking boxes.

If you have something noted in your personal statement that shows how your latino culture is greatly significant to you, or has influenced your decision to go to law school, that will probably get you closer to you chance of "hand out" (as you like to call it), but it's going to have to be compelling. Being bi-racial might make an interesting topic, so I don't think you should deny your white heritage. However, if you do talk about being biracial/ bi-cultural, it's going to have to somehow connect to your goals your interest in law, and/or how your ethnic make-up has shaped you today.

Don't expect to just check the latino box and have people falling all over you. You're going to have to say a lot more about yourself to get that to happen. It's the same way that a white applicant could have an awesome personal statement and show how much potential they have and tell of any disadvantages they have overcome etc etc, and despite their LSAT #s, become an ideal candidate for XYZ School.

Admissions committees aren't full of idiots- they know b.s. when they see it. If you're looking for a "handout" by saying "hi, I'm latino... so pick me!" you might as well forget it (I'm not saying you're going to do that, but you get my point). They are looking at the collective elements of each person, so make sure and paint a good picture of yourself.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 01:27:01 AM »

whatever. people need to look out for their own self-interest. it's not about beating the odds, it's about winning the game. check the latino box.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 07:43:31 AM »
Checking the "latino" box isn't lying ... he's latino by birth, although not (at first appearance) by culture. If you make it the sole focus of your personal statement but don't have anything in your resume supporting this (for ex, no association in anything latino-related or anything), it's going to look really suspicious. Adcoms know the full extent of the diversity of the latino population --- we range from the richest to the poorest, from the East to the West, from white as snow to Brazilian, etc --- so they're going to be looking for more qualifying characterisitcs than simply a checked box. I've had to read a couple of applications for hispanic-themed scholarships, and everyone could spot these kinds of applications from a mile away.

A word of caution: the AA boost that Adcoms give to latinos really, really varies. Some will "prefer" Mexican and Puerto Rican heritage over Cuban or Argentinian, for example. Others will be looking for socio-economic disadvantage.

PS: The above is moot, of course, if you really do culturally identify with the latino culture. Just because you're half-latino doesn't imply otherwise.