Law School Discussion

am i a minority?

am i a minority?
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:55:53 PM »
ok look in real life i could give a crap what race i am, but for law admissions purposes i want to use it to my advantage as much as i can. my dad is full caucasian and my mom is full mexican-american, so i do have a white last name, but i a not full caucasian nor full hispanic. what do i put on my application? am i a URM? can i play this up in my statement? will i be considered as much of a hispanic as someone named 'lopez'?
 ???

Re: am i a minority?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:45:51 PM »
You can definitely put that you are Latino/a based on your heritage, but if it hasn't been important to your life growing up, it may look suspicious to some schools.  But there's nothing technically wrong with it at all, your last name does not determine whether you are Latino/a or not... after all, your mom is just as much responsible for your heritage as your dad.  However, if you have never claimed your Latino/a heritage before, there have been cases of people being investigated when applying to law school for false reporting... something to look into before you do it.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 07:54:35 PM »
no trust me i always claim latino on everything...i grew up in a neighborhood that was 80% latino and i even used that to get into a really good middle school when i was growing up. thanks im gonna try to incorporate it somehow in my ps

Playa222

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 07:57:01 PM »
ok look in real life i could give a darn what race i am, but for law admissions purposes i want to use it to my advantage as much as i can. my dad is full caucasian and my mom is full mexican-american, so i do have a white last name, but i a not full caucasian nor full hispanic. what do i put on my application? am i a URM? can i play this up in my statement? will i be considered as much of a hispanic as someone named 'lopez'?
 ???

You can def do it if you want.  I have a friend here who claimed Mex-American when her Mom was only 1/2 Mexican and she got in with an 1170.  She is by no means even close to being Mexican-American culturally.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 07:59:16 PM »
You should get in on your own merits, don't use your skin color as a crutch.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 07:59:27 PM »
yeah i just dont like being dishonest so i want to be sure. but in my PS, i should mention my father is anglo too, correct? or should i just say im hispanic w/out mentioning my father's side of the family?

Playa222

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 08:03:07 PM »
yeah i just dont like being dishonest so i want to be sure. but in my PS, i should mention my father is anglo too, correct? or should i just say im hispanic w/out mentioning my father's side of the family?

Either way you could be considered correct. It just really comes down to what you feel comfortable doing.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 08:03:32 PM »
You should get in on your own merits, don't use your skin color as a crutch.

i love to do that if everyone else would follow suit. but if i dont, i will in turn be at a disadvantage to all the ward churchill's out there playing up their great-aunt's cherokee background

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 08:06:30 PM »
That's not necessarily true.  I'm appalachian white and I've never used it.  If your marks are good, you'll get in without the extra nudge.  I just wish people would move in the direction of getting by on your own, instead of looking for help.

Playa222

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 08:12:05 PM »
That's not necessarily true.  I'm appalachian white and I've never used it.  If your marks are good, you'll get in without the extra nudge.  I just wish people would move in the direction of getting by on your own, instead of looking for help.

Your statement about people looking for help is incorrect.  If someone gets an added boost because they check a box does not mean they were looking for it.  The adcomms are the ones who gave it to them whether they were "looking for it" or not.