Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: should i go to BU or BC  (Read 1020 times)

iieecc2004

• View Profile
should i go to BU or BC
« on: June 11, 2004, 09:47:48 AM »
should i go to BU or BC next year?

i think id like to practice law in boston, but i could also see myself in NYC or DC. my impression is that BC has a better local reputation while BU has more of a national reputation. is this true? Also, BC has been ranked higher than BU 95% of the time (ive heard that this past years ranking was a fluke and not expected to last).

i think id rather go to BC as people seem much happier there and BU's facilities are just horrible while BC's are new. but at the same time i dont know that its worth it if going to BU would help me more in finding a job.

any thoughts?

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: should i go to BU or BC
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 09:54:37 AM »
I personally would go to BC - I also think that this years ratings were due to specific factors that probably wont exist next year (my friend a 2L at BC said he was told that overadmitted last year and that it wouldnt happen again). BC has a reputation of being more selective - the only downside is that BC is outside of Boston so it could be a pain to get around.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 10:06:53 AM »
if the ratings thing is an issue i would go to BC. i am biased, though, since im going to be a 1L at BC next year. i also was trying to decide between the two schools so i know what you are going through.

after speaking to the dean at BC, my understanding of why BC took such a drop in the rankings is this: (1) BC lost two professors (one died and one retired) and therefore, for that one year, had a much higher than normal student-to-teacher ratio. those two proffs have since been replaced. (2) since most people from BC tend to work in boston or nyc, 9/11 had a much greater effect on BC's employment stats than on BU's. A lot of people who were offered jobs then had the offers rescinded. the last year that the employment stats were reported was from '01.

long story short: BC is expected to jump back up to the low 20s or high teens next year.

hope to see you at BC!

msher3yn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »
You sound like you like BC much better overall, so I would go with your gut. As far as I know, it has a good reputation at least in the Northeast, so getting a job in NYC should not be any different than coming from BU interms of the school's recognition. And getting a job will also be up to how well you interview and market yourself. I would go to BC.

kad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 01:17:29 PM »
Got off the waitlist at BC and trying to decide between BC and Tulane. I want the school that will give me more mobility after graduation - I know both schools nationally place, but aside from the USNews Rankings, is there a big difference in perception between the two schools???