Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.5/169  (Read 1096 times)

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
3.5/169
« on: June 26, 2005, 03:28:39 PM »
I am wondering if u guys think my chances are better at UMich or Georgetown for early decision  ???

i am a senior in college, little work experience, average resume, etc

anywhere else i should apply in top 14 with best chances?

Thanks
ACCEPTED: Georgetown (ED)

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5/169
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 04:07:35 PM »
ED could possibly screw you over for money; you commit to going, no matter what the cost. I believe gtown has EA, so just do that instead. And apply early to everywhere else.

ace888

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 04:08:59 PM »
I got into Michigan and was waitlisted at Georgetown (although I applied there very late) with somewhat similar numbers (3.6/169). Check out my lsn account. I think you have a good chance at getting into at least one, if not both.

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »
ED could possibly screw you over for money; you commit to going, no matter what the cost. I believe gtown has EA, so just do that instead. And apply early to everywhere else.

the money really isnt a concern to me.. i would have no problem taking out loans to attend a 'better' school.. i hear ED gives you a substantial edge over EA?

I got into Michigan and was waitlisted at Georgetown (although I applied there very late) with somewhat similar numbers (3.6/169). Check out my lsn account. I think you have a good chance at getting into at least one, if not both.

i hear michigan is real big on soft factors... did you have work experience or anything?

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 05:51:08 PM »

the money really isnt a concern to me.. i would have no problem taking out loans to attend a 'better' school.. i hear ED gives you a substantial edge over EA?

Money should be a concern. Why pay more than is absolutely necessary?

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 05:55:53 PM »
I agree with you that its worth taking out loans to go to a far superior school but it is also relevant how much the loans are and which school you are picking with loans compare to which school without loans.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 08:58:19 PM »
you're numbers put you in the part of the pool that's pretty competitive for both schools, i.e. a 50/50 chance.  if you're truly committed to enrolling at either school at this point, i'd say apply ED/EA.  true, you may not get much in the way of scholarship money, but if you're numbers are borderline anyway, and there's nothing else in your app that's going to make schools chase you, you wouldn't be in a good position for scholarship money in the first place. 

good luck!

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 10:48:34 PM »
you're numbers put you in the part of the pool that's pretty competitive for both schools, i.e. a 50/50 chance.  if you're truly committed to enrolling at either school at this point, i'd say apply ED/EA.  true, you may not get much in the way of scholarship money, but if you're numbers are borderline anyway, and there's nothing else in your app that's going to make schools chase you, you wouldn't be in a good position for scholarship money in the first place. 

good luck!

my thoughts exactly... thanks  :)

The Truth

• Sr. Citizen
  • Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 11:02:14 PM »
I don't think that you should apply Binding early decision to anywhere unless you know you want to go there. What if you get in real early and then a better school wants you (you said you wanted to go to the better school), although I understand the competitive standpoint of doing it. Also, You may not think money is a big thing, but getting some is great, although you LSAT may not be in the realm for the significant merit awards in the schools that you are applying to, so maybe it does not make a difference.

Anyways, good luck deciding how to apply
The One, The Only, The Truth...
Attending: PENN$$$
W/D after Acc.(had next, LOL): NYU$$$,CLS$,CHI$$,GTown$$$,Duke$$,TX$$,NU(loans),Cornell?
WL'ed & then W/D: HLS(after hold), SLS
Rej: NONE
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but The Truth
Don't Hate Me, Because You Ain't Me (J/K, LOL)

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 10:09:27 PM »
I don't think that you should apply Binding early decision to anywhere unless you know you want to go there. What if you get in real early and then a better school wants you (you said you wanted to go to the better school), although I understand the competitive standpoint of doing it. Also, You may not think money is a big thing, but getting some is great, although you LSAT may not be in the realm for the significant merit awards in the schools that you are applying to, so maybe it does not make a difference.
Anyways, good luck deciding how to apply

Thanks, and I do agree, but I highly doubt i would get into schools BETTER than where i am trying to do ED, as there is really nothing much special about the rest of my app  :(