Law School Discussion

June LSAT easier than October? Curve?

utaustin

• 3.36/164
    • View Profile
June LSAT easier than October? Curve?
« on: June 10, 2004, 07:05:36 PM »
So, the original reason I signed up to take (and have decided to postpone) the June LSAT was because of some rumors and talk that its relatively easy.

When I asked that original person, they were saying less people take it and for whatever reason the curve is better.

People who have worked the past preptests, is there something to back up this notion? My Princeton Review instructor has said its just a rumour, that each test is scaled and equated and proceeded to talk up statistical stuff - at which point I wasn't sure if he was being honest or just spouting the company line.

Do more people take the October LSAT? Wouldn't that be better for the distribution? Although I can see how the curve would be less skewed with more test takers.

Anyway, if someone understands, please explain this.

nathanielmark

Re: June LSAT easier than October? Curve?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 07:07:40 PM »
these people are misinformed.  the scale is already established before the test is even administered.  it is based off of previously administered experimental sections.

So, the original reason I signed up to take (and have decided to postpone) the June LSAT was because of some rumors and talk that its relatively easy.

When I asked that original person, they were saying less people take it and for whatever reason the curve is better.

People who have worked the past preptests, is there something to back up this notion? My Princeton Review instructor has said its just a rumour, that each test is scaled and equated and proceeded to talk up statistical stuff - at which point I wasn't sure if he was being honest or just spouting the company line.

Do more people take the October LSAT? Wouldn't that be better for the distribution? Although I can see how the curve would be less skewed with more test takers.

Anyway, if someone understands, please explain this.

MaroonOut2005

• Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 07:09:03 PM »
I actually have a theory on this.  The June's curve does traditionally seem to be a little less.  However, the test often times seems easier.  There is less tricky material and the games aren't as ambigious.  I think the people at LSAC make the June test easier so they don't have hear as many complaints, since the most people take the test in June.  That is why the curve is reduced.  Again, that is just my theory on the matter.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 11:24:01 PM »
I took the June 2003 test today.  It was fairly easy, as LSATS go.  14 wrong still get a 167, which is loose.  I got a 167 on the October 2000 test with 18 wrong, so that one was a bit easier, but not the easiest.  I really don't think there's any difference.  If it's an easier test (as some undeniably are) you have to get fewer questions wrong to get the score you want.  Absent any hard data to suggest otherwise, it's just another BS rumor.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 05:54:16 AM »
I took the June 2002 test last night and the curve on it was quite brutal

180 -> 100 - 101
179 -> 99
178 -> 98
177 -> 97
176 -> *_*

I got a 177, but if I had gotten one more problem wrong I would have dropped 2 points to 175.  On the other hand, I had the same raw score on the test before that and got a 178... plus I could have gotten three more wrong and still gotten a 175.

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 06:55:47 AM »

a 177?  you are a sharp cookie.

I took the June 2002 test last night and the curve on it was quite brutal

180 -> 100 - 101
179 -> 99
178 -> 98
177 -> 97
176 -> *_*

I got a 177, but if I had gotten one more problem wrong I would have dropped 2 points to 175.  On the other hand, I had the same raw score on the test before that and got a 178... plus I could have gotten three more wrong and still gotten a 175.