Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many schools to apply to?  (Read 2921 times)

newb

How many schools to apply to?
« on: June 26, 2003, 06:00:00 PM »
just wondering... 5? 20?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: How many schools to apply to?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 08:48:39 AM »
I'd recommend somewhere between 6 and 10.  You can categorize them by your odds of getting in.  At least one given (where you're almost surely accepted), a few probablys, a couple maybes, and a couple probably nots.

I went a little overboard on the probably nots and ended up just throwing away money.  Each application costs around $70, so it was a big waste of money to apply to schools where I had a 2% chance of getting in.

A couple other things to consider.  Any numbers / probabilities you see will always be outdated (unless they're from the year your applying, in which case they offer no guidence over where to apply because it would already be too late).  Therefore you should be carefull relying on the odds.  The trend right now is for the odds of getting in to decrease, not increase.

Secondly, think about how important rank is to you.  If your barely getting into schools you're unlikely to get any scholarships, but if you're over qualified you can go to law school for a lot less money.  I honestly don't think the education is that different depending on the rank of the school.  There are lot of other factors (ie - which professors you get) that will make a big difference.  Reputation is important in getting a job, which is probably something you want to do - but its not necessarily that higher ranked is better.  Location, alumni, and specific reputation (ie "good public interest school") play important roles.

Okay - that was a little more than you asked for...

Newb

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 10:23:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice :)

newb

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 06:23:22 PM »
Thks for the info again...

During the application process are you required to send your transcripts, recommendations and other materials directly to the school in which you wish to apply or are there other alternatives available?

Thks again

newb

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 06:25:58 PM »
me again, are recomendation required to come from faculty at your home institution or may they come from alternative sources such as faculty at the law school in which you are applying whom you have a working relationship with? Or, possibly a distinguished person in the field of law, etc.?

thks

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 07:36:08 PM »
A lot of law schools (all?) use the LSADS "Law School Data Assembly Service".  Basically you send all your stuff to them and they send it out to the schools.  More info here:

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/about-the-lsdas.asp

As for recomendations, I'm not sure (it's been a while since I applied).  I would read the requirements for each school and see what they say.  I remember some schools asking for one and others for two recomendations.  Some schools also want a "deans letter" that certifies that you're in good academic standing or whatever.

Recomendations and deans letters can be a big hang-up if you don't plan well in advance.  Most schools won't consider your application until *everything* is in, so having a late deans letter can hurt you more than it should.

newb

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 09:01:54 AM »
Thks, Andrew you have been most helpful.

Also, thks for providing such a great resource. :)

lawclerk

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 09:58:33 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew if Law Schools take into account how many others schools you are applying to. On just about every app there is always a place where they want you to list all the schools to which you applied.

I intend on applying to about 6 schools, but I dont want my chances to go to the better school to be hurt, because they feel I am not serious about attending there school.

Would they know If I didn't list all the schools to which I applied? I wonder if it would show up somewhere on the LSDAS Report they recieve?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 09:46:32 PM »
I really doubt they care what other schools you applied to.  I don't have any solid evidence to back that up though...

How then do I justify the fact that they ask you this on the application itself?  I think they use that information to better market the school.  They want to see what the competition is.

I suppose I could imagine a scenario where the admissions office sees that you're applying to a better school (where you'll probably get in based on your application), and they deny admission under the assumption that you would decline an offer of acceptance and lower their rate in the rankings (that is one of the factors right?  or is it?).  I honestly don't think that kind of numbers flexing goes on, but maybe I'm just too much of an idealist.

Now I must sleep.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2003, 12:28:24 AM »
some reaches (2-3) some probably's (2) some probably not's (2) and some safety's (3-4) added up I get 11 (max)  (MIN) so I would say about 7 to 11 based on categories of personal thought on what you believe your chances are (also backed up by the median LSAT and UGPA's at the coresponsing schools) Hope this helps.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141