Law School Discussion

Tom Delay: Houston=Baghdad?

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • View Profile
Tom Delay: Houston=Baghdad?
« on: June 25, 2005, 09:51:14 AM »
so, i haven't been to houston in a while, but now, i'm not sure i'd like to go anytime soon.

"You know, if Houston, Texas, was held to the same standard as Iraq is held to, nobody'd go to Houston, because all this reporting coming out of the local press in Houston is violence, murders, robberies, deaths on the highways," DeLay said.

"And if you took that as the image of what is a great city that has an incredible quality of life and an incredible economy, it's amazing to me. Go to Iraq. And see what's actually happening there.

"Everybody that comes from Iraq is amazed at the difference of what they see on the ground and what they see on the television set."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3235606

Re: Tom Delay: Houston=Baghdad?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 10:32:41 AM »
so, i haven't been to houston in a while, but now, i'm not sure i'd like to go anytime soon.

"You know, if Houston, Texas, was held to the same standard as Iraq is held to, nobody'd go to Houston, because all this reporting coming out of the local press in Houston is violence, murders, robberies, deaths on the highways," DeLay said.

"And if you took that as the image of what is a great city that has an incredible quality of life and an incredible economy, it's amazing to me. Go to Iraq. And see what's actually happening there.

"Everybody that comes from Iraq is amazed at the difference of what they see on the ground and what they see on the television set."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3235606

I feel so much better after reading that. Maybe I will consider going to Iraq for my next vacation.
Then again, I don't recall hearing about too many folks in Houston being killled by the dozens by suicide car bombs, nor being beheaded on television for being from Arizona.
I thought being tough on crime and supporting evangelical capital punishment was supposed to eliminate crime. Why is there crime in Houston then?