Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Only the serious Need Reply - I need PS Help!  (Read 3424 times)

timnjess

• Only 4 More Days Until LSAT
    • View Profile
Only the serious Need Reply - I need PS Help!
« on: June 10, 2004, 04:11:04 PM »
Ok, I sat down and forced myself to write the basis for my PS. It has mistakes, the words aren't exactly right, etc. But I have the basis which was the hardest part for me to do and now I'll tweak it from here. What I was wondering is this: is my statement theme totally off base? Is it even a good one to write, etc. Would anyone on here be willing to read it and tell me if they think it is a good theme or in the right direction or not? I don't want to post it on here - its too personal - so I'd have to e-mail it.

Thanks in Advance.
Jessica in TX

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Only the serious Need Reply - I need PS Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:47:21 PM »
I'm more than happy to give it a read.  You can email it to me at Kristi_Ann81 at yahoo [dot] com.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 06:18:38 PM »
ill read it also.  i like reading PSs.

timnjess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 09:18:30 PM »
Ok, I e-mailed it to you both. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Jessica in TX

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 09:43:53 PM »
to be honest, i think its terrrible....

nah just kidding.  i havnt read it yet and i would never critique it on the board.  ill let you know...

Ok, I e-mailed it to you both. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 11:08:26 AM »
I emailed you my revisions and all.  Hope it helps!!  You've got an incredible story to tell!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

timnjess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 11:11:12 PM »
Thanks to both for the great ideas! Kristi - thanks for proofing it and making suggestions...they really clicked for me and I think it will sound great. I'm really no longer scared of the whole PS thing now!  :)
Jessica in TX

runnin_skeerd

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 12:46:02 PM »
Have you looked over the applications for the all law schools to which you intend to apply?  Many have given you a topic that must be addressed in a seperate statement or addressed as a direct part of your personal statement.  I plan to apply to a school that requires two 500 word essays: 1) What is the most significant event in your life over last ten years and what did you learn from the event and 2) a personal statement addressing any issue that you feel will help the admissions committee with their decision.  And most of the other schools to which I plan to apply have a different topic or essy legnth.  I figure that I'll end up writing about eight seperate personal statements or differing versions :o    I hope you're not placing all your hopes on a single p.s., unfortunately it may not meet all of your application needs.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 02:20:29 PM »
I applied to 14 schools this past admissions season and used the same personal statement for 12 of them.  The only change I made was in the last paragraph where I adressed my reasons for wanting to attend that particular school.  The other 2 schools had differing requirements, one asked a specific question about their mission statement and the other wouldn't allow more than 2 pages (mine was 3 full pages).  However, I think being able to use the same statement (except for changing the last paragraph) for 12/14 schools was great.  Not only did I love my statement, but it takes a lot of time to come up with a good one, I would have never had time for 14 complete different statements.  Most schools ask why you want to go to law school and what qualifies you, as well as asking you to describe any adversity you've overcome. 

I would definitely start with only one statement, then adjust it as needed for each application.  Even the school that wanted the 2 page statement only required me to edit some sentences out of my original statement (I actually hated the 2 page statement though, it wasn't enough to cover all I wanted to cover).  So really, the only drastic changes I made were for the school that asked you to reply to their mission statement.  Saved lots of time and I don't think I would have gotten into anymore schools than I did by writing different statements for each, its just not using your time wisely.

Plus, I've read her statement.  It will apply EVERYWHERE, guaranteed!

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 09:56:40 PM »
GA_Kristi,

You mentioned that you changed the last paragraph on each personal statement to reflect something unique to the school.  How did that work out for you?  After reading a number of books where admissions officers said they like to see applicants showing interest in their school, I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Timnjess,

I just realized you were the person who posted earlier about having trouble writing a non-"corny" intro.  Glad to hear that you managed to finish your PS!