Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The White Guilt Thread  (Read 10425 times)

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The White Guilt Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2005, 08:04:32 PM »
Can we please get back on subject, which is me.  Appalachian white Irish, with a small penis.  Absolutely nobody has had it worse than me.  Not to mention I'm ugly as sin.  Come on now where's the sympathy?

Don't you know there's no love for men who aren't "gifted" below.....You'd have to look like Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, etc to compensate for that..even then....that still wouldn't make up for your, er, issue... :D

HA HA, that's my point.  Who's got it worse than me.  Man I tell you what, I'm tired of intimate nights by myself.  That's why I want to be a lawyer, not to help people, but to have enough money to get that puppy enlarged.

Like my frat said in UG, related to anotha cat who it was said that he lacked skillz:
 "Id rather have a woman say Im the ugliest guy in the world, rather than I say I cant F---k!"

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2005, 08:42:12 PM »
Okay, this was a funny thread... :D

elegant, good call on the 40 acres and the mule.  They can keep the mule, but if white folks give me 40 acres anywhere near DC, we're cool for life!
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

swordfish

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2005, 09:29:57 PM »

elegant, good call on the 40 acres and the mule.  They can keep the mule, but if white folks give me 40 acres anywhere near DC, we're cool for life!
BP, do I not get any credit for the funnies. Come on I ripped myself to pieces, even made myself cry.  I'm darn near suicidal now.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2005, 10:16:50 PM »

BP, do I not get any credit for the funnies. Come on I ripped myself to pieces, even made myself cry.  I'm darn near suicidal now.

You are not as funny as I am swordfish. Don't try to use my style. I am the only funny guy on this board with a true twisted internet persona >:(  Intimate nights by yourself? You have a small gold member? Very sophomoric comedy indeed. I am the only one that knows how to use sarcastic self-deprecating humor with efficiency. Please review the "ask hbcu" thread to get a taste of my true Rodney Dangerfield like comedic genius. I've watched enough ben stiller movies to know how to play the role of a romantic loser. There is something sexy and endearing about it. How do you think I got blk_reign? Hell, you don't even have a catch phrase. Keep a smile in your heart....

swordfish

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2005, 12:07:40 AM »

You are not as funny as I am swordfish. Don't try to use my style. I am the only funny guy on this board with a true twisted internet persona >:(  Intimate nights by yourself? You have a small gold member? Very sophomoric comedy indeed. I am the only one that knows how to use sarcastic self-deprecating humor with efficiency. Please review the "ask hbcu" thread to get a taste of my true Rodney Dangerfield like comedic genius. I've watched enough ben stiller movies to know how to play the role of a romantic loser. There is something sexy and endearing about it. How do you think I got blk_reign? Hell, you don't even have a catch phrase. Keep a smile in your heart....

Well that's just cold blooded to stomp a man while he's down.

swordfish

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2005, 12:08:40 AM »

You were funny.

Thank you Mobell, a compliment from a lady is always welcomed.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2005, 07:07:47 PM »
HBCU, with all due respect, this thread is offensive.  What do you intend to accomplish but perpetuate the separation, hatred and misunderstanding between the races.

Personally, while I feel what happened to your ancestors is truly terrible, I will NEVER apologize for being white, a woman, a Russian or any other imutable characteristic.  MY people NEVER oppressed yours.  Russians never owned Black slaves, never colonized any African countries and never participated in any sort of genocide. 

Blatant categorization of people based upon nothing other than skin color is the underlying premise of racism.  Not all whites currently residing in the US have ancestors who participated or acquiecsed to slavery.  We are not a monolith, just like you aren't.  Don't generalize or categorize us like we are -- unless of course, you are ready to admit that you have committed the same sin you so passionately preach against.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2005, 12:14:15 AM »
From the Department of Labor's site: http://www.dol.gov/asp/programs/history/moynchapter3.htm

Elegant,

Interesting reading, but I would note that most of the references are from the 1960s at the latest (and many, like Tannenbaum, are from the 1940s).  His argument that Brazilian slavery was (and I'm grossly oversimplifying I know) somehow a kinder, gentler version of our peculiar institution struck me as suspect, however.  In the first place, as a historian I generally don't think this kind of investigation (Who treated their slaves worse, or which slaves had it the worst?) is all that productive or useful, especially since we're dealing with two very different contexts here. 

I haven't done a heck of a lot of reading in Latin American history, but I have read some (translated) accounts of what a typical day was like for slaves in Brazil and Cuba (which, of course, didn't abolish slavery until two decades after the US did); it was certainly no walk in the park (and race relations in those countries are still a serious concern, just as it is here, and to a large extent just as it is throughout the hempisphere).  I found the following article on JSTOR (you can read it if you have access to it through school, or you can use the citation to find the print copy.  Yes, it is still rather old scholarship (1970), but I haven't really been digging that hard and it provides a very interesting counterpart on the whole US-Brazil comparison vis--vis slavery (and based on what I've skimmed he seems to come to the conclusion, I think, that the two institutions really were not so dissimilar, either in theory or practice).

Slavery in Brazil and the United States: An Essay in Comparative History

Carl N. Degler

The American Historical Review, Vol. 75, No. 4. (Apr., 1970), pp. 1004-1028.

Also, since the articles you have cited (as well as Degler's response) deal heavily with the issue of how religion intersected with the institution of slavery and with slave life, I thought you might enjoy, for further reading (assuming you haven't already read it) "He Shall Go Out Free: The Lives of Denmark Vesey" by Douglas R. Egerton.  One of the big themes in his examination of how the slave society in Charleston seemed to allow for the Vesey conspiracy to take root, because masters in urban Charleston gave their slaves the kind of autonomy (i.e. allowing slaves to hire themselves out, to practice a trade, to read the Bible, to earn their own money, to join the African Methodist Episcopal Church, etc.) put their slaves in a better position to plan a revolt than would be the case on the rural, heavily regulated plantation.  Egerton also has a very interesting discussion about how the Bible (especially the Old Testament) seemed to provide a moral justification for rebellion; while masters used other sections of it to support the Peculiar Institution, slaves relied on Biblical passages to justify its violent destruction.  I thought it was a very well-written book, though it was once the subject of a bitter debate in the William and Mary Quarterly.  Another historian (I forget his name at the moment) contended that Egerton had fundamentally misinterpreted the sources, and that there really was no Vesey conspiracy, that it was all fabricated by the authorities in Charleston to scare the crap out of slaveowners and persuade them to stop the more liberal practices mentioned above.  Since I haven't really done much primary research here, nor have I read the debate in the Quarterly, I really can't form an opinion on whether his claims have merit.  But I stand by my opinion that Egerton's discussion is fascinating and illuminating.

Sorry for the length.  Take care, and happy reading.  :)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2005, 10:11:16 AM »
HBCU, with all due respect, this thread is offensive.  What do you intend to accomplish but perpetuate the separation, hatred and misunderstanding between the races.

Personally, while I feel what happened to your ancestors is truly terrible, I will NEVER apologize for being white, a woman, a Russian or any other imutable characteristic.  MY people NEVER oppressed yours.  Russians never owned Black slaves, never colonized any African countries and never participated in any sort of genocide. 
Blatant categorization of people based upon nothing other than skin color is the underlying premise of racism.  Not all whites currently residing in the US have ancestors who participated or acquiecsed to slavery.  We are not a monolith, just like you aren't.  Don't generalize or categorize us like we are -- unless of course, you are ready to admit that you have committed the same sin you so passionately preach against.

does the word pogrom sound familiar? ???

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2005, 10:14:02 AM »

This thread is vintage HBCU. I would probably listen to you if you voted for me to be MOD. You are one of the 3 who didn't so your opinion doesn't count  :o

jk :D or am I ?:-\

Keep a smile in your heart........