Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The White Guilt Thread  (Read 10967 times)

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The White Guilt Thread
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 05:33:58 PM »
Some of my ancestors were so busy in Ireland oppressing the Catholics that they had no time for you guys.

heh.  After I learned that the English referred to the Irish as "White N------s", I got a whole lot more sympathy for them.

Of course, then a lot of the Irish came over here and got plantations and bought slaves, which is kind of ironic.  Power corrupts.

Actually, the Irish who came over here and bought plantations/slaves were mostly from the Protestant ruling class in Ireland (aka the Scot/English imports who had been oppressing the Catholics for years).  When all the poor Catholics immigrated in the late 1840s, they settled mostly in the urban areas of the Northeast and Midwest.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 05:35:46 PM »
Do you think white women, should be included in this? in the midwest they've done alot to show that they have repented, towards Black Males, anyway.

>:(  Yeah, all they have to do is apologize to the Black men. 

Hmm. It seems like they've gone way beyond a mere apology. But your right, something needs to done to the sistas. But most sistas i know dont pay to much attention to what white women  say,anyway. But i guess it couldn't hurt. By the way lets keep this only needing to give an apology under wraps, at least until a few more of us get through law school ;) you know we cant work as a 1L.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 05:36:58 PM »
Some of my ancestors were so busy in Ireland oppressing the Catholics that they had no time for you guys.

heh.  After I learned that the English referred to the Irish as "White N------s", I got a whole lot more sympathy for them.

Of course, then a lot of the Irish came over here and got plantations and bought slaves, which is kind of ironic.  Power corrupts.

Actually, the Irish who came over here and bought plantations/slaves were mostly from the Protestant ruling class in Ireland (aka the Scot/English imports who had been oppressing the Catholics for years).  When all the poor Catholics immigrated in the late 1840s, they settled mostly in the urban areas of the Northeast and Midwest.

where they became firemen and defecated in the backseat of Coalhouse Walker's brand new Ford

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 05:42:08 PM »

Actually, the Irish who came over here and bought plantations/slaves were mostly from the Protestant ruling class in Ireland (aka the Scot/English imports who had been oppressing the Catholics for years).  When all the poor Catholics immigrated in the late 1840s, they settled mostly in the urban areas of the Northeast and Midwest.

Yup, this is true...eh, kills the irony a bit, huh?  Those Protestants were just oppressive people, I guess. ;)

Mobell is so cool. She is like the BLSD bell hooks man.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 05:49:37 PM »

Actually, the Irish who came over here and bought plantations/slaves were mostly from the Protestant ruling class in Ireland (aka the Scot/English imports who had been oppressing the Catholics for years).  When all the poor Catholics immigrated in the late 1840s, they settled mostly in the urban areas of the Northeast and Midwest.

Yup, this is true...eh, kills the irony a bit, huh?  Those Protestants were just oppressive people, I guess. ;)

see above.  I hope y'all aren't trying to say Irish Catholics didn't do their part in oppressing blacks in the country...

swordfish

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 05:51:01 PM »
I'm Irish Protestant, to hell with the Catholics.  They touch little boys you know. 

swordfish

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2005, 05:56:41 PM »

Catholics oppressed? 

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 06:02:36 PM »
In the early history of this country and in Ireland, yes the Catholics were oppressed, savagely so.  I'm not saying that Irish Catholics have not contributed to racial bigotry in this country, quite to the contrary.  I was just making a separate point.

Columbus School of Law

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 06:03:48 PM »

see above.  I hope y'all aren't trying to say Irish Catholics didn't do their part in oppressing blacks in the country...

Sarcasm, E. (I almost typed your gubment name!) :o

>:( you would have been wrong for that

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 06:06:11 PM »
Judging from the emoticon, it appears you would have been angry with that.

Columbus School of Law