Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Called Penn yesterday  (Read 1991 times)

rcowell

• View Profile
Called Penn yesterday
« on: June 10, 2004, 03:24:46 PM »
I called Penn yesterday and found out some info about the wait list.

Basically, there are about 500 people on it.  Of these 500, they expect to call about 35-50.  This was a little garbled because he kept reiterating the 10% number (which would obviously be 50).  He said that the acceptance rate off the WL is about the same as the overall acceptance rate, which didn't seem germane to me, but whatever.

He also said that they will be making the next round of offers in about 2 weeks.

So, I guess I'll keep hoping, even though I signed my DC apartment lease today...

waitlister

• View Profile
Re: Called Penn yesterday
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 05:18:24 PM »
do you think this means that they extend offers expecting 10% of the waitlist to maticulate, or do they etend offers to 10% of the waitlist?  (do they enroll 35-50, or make offers to 35-50?)

rcowell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 05:34:56 PM »
I didn't think of that until I hung up with the guy.  I'm honestly not sure, but let's hope that's what they plan to enroll.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 08:54:14 PM »
last year, Penn admitted 770 people out of 5,130 applicants. that's a 15% acceptance ratio.

if he told you that there's 500 people on the WL and that they give offers of admission at the same percentage, then they would give offers to 75 people.

msher3yn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 10:57:31 PM »
Even if they make offers to 35-50 people, theyre not all going to accept the offer, so if you don't happen to be one of those people, they may still have to call more after that right? Don't give up :) Have you sent any letter of continued interest or more LORs or anything?

rcowell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 08:33:09 AM »
I've sent an extra writing sample, extra LOR, updated transcripts (I'm getting an MS in Computer Science) and a letter stating that I would accept an offer off the waitlist.  I can't think of anything else to send at this point.

msher3yn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 10:57:13 AM »
know any alumni?

Snoopy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 01:01:19 PM »
I know an alum (recent). I am on the WL at Penn as well  :'(.

I am surprised they are admitting so many. I would have thought there more than 500. I sent in a letter of continued interest. How does that differ from a writing sample.

jamiek12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 02:48:13 PM »
hey rcowell - i have a question about housing leases...you are signing your DC lease anyway?  I need to send my michigan housing lease in in 2 days ...do you know how much $ you are responsible for if you back out?  if it is a lease from the school itself, does not attending that school cancel the lease?  i wish i went through law school already b/c then i would probably know!

rcowell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 04:25:59 PM »
Breaking a lease depends entirely on your landlord and the language of the lease.  In my particular case, the landlord is keeping my security deposit if i need to break it (this is a pretty good deal, I've seen apartments where they charge 2-3 months rent for breaking the lease).  You should be able to find something about breaking the lease in the lease itself.  I don't know how it works with renting from the school itself (I'm guessing it's not a dorm).  Generally, this is something you negotiate beforehand, but again, I don't know how it works when renting from a school.

I'm signing (well, I signed) my lease anyway because I found a nice place in DC that I didn't want to lose.  Plus, I've been working for a few years and can afford the termination fee.

Good luck with Penn (although I hope you'll excuse me for hoping that I get in ahead of you  ;) )