Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlist observation  (Read 2444 times)

bhsueiu

• View Profile
Waitlist observation
« on: June 23, 2005, 09:27:59 AM »
Being on a waitlist has led to some interesting observations that I'm wondering if other people are experiencing. 

First, has anyone noticed that time moves very distinctly when one is on a waitlist?  An example is the 'do you still want to be on a waitlist' email that some have received recently.  My version of that email said that they would be going to their waitlist by the end of this month.  Now, I received this email 8 days ago.  But before I actually looked it up, I could have SWORN that I got that email at LEAST a couple of weeks ago.  It feels like being stuck in a slow motion scene in a movie. 

Yet, when I look at the date on the calendar, and I still don’t know IF I’m going to law school or not (I had a very location-specific process this cycle), it seems like time is moving at a million miles an hour…with only 9 weeks left until orientation starts, I want to stop time, if that would allow my waitlist school time to figure out who they want.

The other observation (that mostly my friends have picked up on) is that I spend what is approaching an unhealthy amount of time looking at this board, lurking about in case there is any tiny morsel of information that might let me know my fate.  They have sworn to beat me with a big stick if they hear me say one more time “well, I read on the board that….”. 

Anyway, at least by posting this I’ll have new posts to read.  You know it’s bad when you still don’t know if you are starting school this year, and people are already starting to post for the next cycle, LSN is preparing their 2005-06 stuff, etc...

tegra8

Re: Waitlist observation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 10:06:02 AM »
Being on a waitlist has led to some interesting observations that I'm wondering if other people are experiencing. 

First, has anyone noticed that time moves very distinctly when one is on a waitlist?  An example is the 'do you still want to be on a waitlist' email that some have received recently.  My version of that email said that they would be going to their waitlist by the end of this month.  Now, I received this email 8 days ago.  But before I actually looked it up, I could have SWORN that I got that email at LEAST a couple of weeks ago.  It feels like being stuck in a slow motion scene in a movie. 

Yet, when I look at the date on the calendar, and I still don’t know IF I’m going to law school or not (I had a very location-specific process this cycle), it seems like time is moving at a million miles an hour…with only 9 weeks left until orientation starts, I want to stop time, if that would allow my waitlist school time to figure out who they want.

The other observation (that mostly my friends have picked up on) is that I spend what is approaching an unhealthy amount of time looking at this board, lurking about in case there is any tiny morsel of information that might let me know my fate.  They have sworn to beat me with a big stick if they hear me say one more time “well, I read on the board that….”. 

Anyway, at least by posting this I’ll have new posts to read.  You know it’s bad when you still don’t know if you are starting school this year, and people are already starting to post for the next cycle, LSN is preparing their 2005-06 stuff, etc...

you just summed up my perspective as well.... at least we are now technically in the "end of the month" so hopefully we'll hear something soon.  it would be nice if i had any kind of clue what i was doing next year before august!

i remembered your name as being a UNC waitlist and was hoping that this would provide "any tiny morsel of information that might let me know my fate".   

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 10:17:41 AM »
We are definitely in the same boat Tegra-

But didn't you get into at least one school?  Are you saying you will not attend this year if you don't get into either UT-K or UNC?

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 10:21:35 AM »

Haha. Very well put. My friends make fun of me for being such an LSD geek. For most of this application cycle, time has crept by. I'd anxiously check my mail & email everyday for one of those covetted WL acceptances. I'd troll this board several times a day. Time just didnt seem to move.

However, now time has been moving too fast. If I make it off a WL after July 1, I have to pay Brooklyn a withdrawal fine of $1200, as well as not getting back the $2000 in various deposits I've already put down. So now it feels like time is speeding towards July 1. Also, now that I've really started to doubt my chances at Duke & accept my fate at Brooklyn, I feel like I've already wasted 1/2 of my pre-1L summer. I should be out getting sloppy & not letting time pass me by like this!

Good luck all that are on WLs. Where are you waiting to hear from bhsuein?
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 10:40:58 AM »

Good luck all that are on WLs. Where are you waiting to hear from bhsuein?

UNC.  Here's hoping we both end up in the Triangle.  Good luck with Duke!

tegra8

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 11:05:40 AM »
We are definitely in the same boat Tegra-

But didn't you get into at least one school?  Are you saying you will not attend this year if you don't get into either UT-K or UNC?

only acceptance i have is to FIU, provisionally accreditted school in miami, but I am withdrawing from there.

I am now waitlisted at FSU, UTk, and UNC.  UNC and UTk are my top choices and FSU has turned me off on them since their admissions process has been a joke to this point, so im not sure i really want to go there anymore.  So if i dont get in UNC or Utk, I am most likely going to do some graduate work and possibl y retest in october and reapply next year.  hopefully this is all meaningless and we'll be hearing from UNC this week. 

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 01:53:17 PM »
what an awesome thread! :)

I need to join this party as well. I was accepted into several places but didn't send in any deposits because i felt the schools weren't a good fit for me. So now i'm in nowhere and am patiently praying and hoping I get off someone's waitlist. I'm mainly focusing on UH,Howard, and STCL.I wouldnt mind Depaul either really. Still haven't recieved a decision from Touro or Chicago/Kent but they aren't really top choices for me at this point.

Good Luck guys!!! here's hoping we hear something soon!
HUSL 1L

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 02:26:51 PM »
Okay, so here's how I'm spending my time this summer (besides of course obsessively checking this website)...

I've moved into a "Field of Dreams" mentality with the whole thing that I would call zen-like (or at least I would if waiting wasn't making me completely bat-sh!t insane).  Anyway, in my 'if you build it, it will come' mode, I have bought Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, Planet Law School II, something about 10 things to succeed in law school or some such nonsense, Glannon's CivPro E&E, a laser quality inkjet printer, a bunch of different color highlighters and stupid little post-it flags (they aren't stupid, but I must mock them now in my "No, mom/dad/friend/employer, I HAVEN'T heard anything from law school yet" rant).  I have cleared out space in my bookshelves like LSC tells you to, have vowed to learn how to do a mail merge before the end of the summer, am reading many law school student blogs, I have started researching loans in preparation for the mad scramble that may (WILL) come, health insurance, and countless other little things.  All of this, yet I don't have an admission letter.

But really, if I build it, it will come.  That blessed phone call/email/letter telling me that I'm in!

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 02:44:30 PM »
I can COMPLETELY relate. I know my husband thinks I've lost my mind. I'm reading PLS and ordering the E&Es to do the 6 week prep he describes because I know I won't have much time given the mad scramble that will ensue when I finally get that phone call. (It's coming. I KNOW it's coming.)

HurryUpAndWait

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 02:55:13 PM »
I can completely relate to the slow motion feeling.

I'm on a few waitlists and have contacted the schools I'm mostly interested to show my continued interest and to try and get a status update.  While they are very cryptic in the responses I'm hoping that I'll hear some good news soon.

The strange thing is that I just called last week, yet I feel like it was months ago.  Time has kind of stood still.  Extremely frustrating.

Oh, and I am also spending way too much time scouring LSD for the slightest hint that I may have shot at getting in.