Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are black people better athletes?  (Read 12574 times)

thechoson

Are black people better athletes?
« on: June 10, 2004, 02:40:20 PM »
I want to have a frank discussion on this. Kinda ties in with what Larry Bird says.  Are black people just genetically more gifted physically?  From personal evidence and from scientific studies and historical studies I've read, this seems to be the case.

Most of the black guys I have met in my life have been good athletes.  A lot of them are naturally muscular.  (Have you seen Tupac's biceps?  I know that dude didn't work out)  How about Lebron James, that man among boys?  And the ones that don't work out and are skinny as hell (Michael Jordan in his youth) seem to be able to fill out very well once they do work out (Michael Jordan as a 220 pounder).

I don't want to incite any violence or discord.  I am just curious as to what people think. I've heard varying opinions regarding this issue. Some say its historical.  Sub-Saharan Africa is not someplace you can have agriculture. So, for most of its pre-modern history (which would be pre-colonial) the societies of that region were hunter-gatherers. Thus societies moved around a lot in small numbers, and had to physically work hard to get their food (thus developing, over time, athletic abilities). Also, in a society like this, natural selection would dictate only the strong survive over time.  Compare this to more sedentary societies that were built on feudalism/ agriculture earlier on, like most of East Asia (Japan, Korea, China).

Also, I don't buy this, but it kind of furthers the argument.  I've heard some people say that because Africans were brought to this country in such harsh conditions (I've heard half of the people enslaved never made it to this country), only the strong and fittest even made it over here.  So this further enhanced the "strong and fit" stereotype, I guess.

I don't know, those are some of the arguments I've heard, but the bottom line is, are blacks genetically more gifted athletically?

jgruber

Re: Are black people better athletes?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 02:43:03 PM »
You have to know that there are too many factors to sort out in order answer this question.

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
  • BA Cornell, MA Sacred Heart, Pepperdine Law in Aug
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdoptAPitbull
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 02:49:10 PM »
I don't know Cho -- but I DO know this... when people look buff on TV it is not even close to what they look like in real life.

I always thought that if I saw LL Cool J, I'd jump him.  However, I saw him at Irvine BMW and his arm was the size of my torso.  I knew he was cut -- but THAT was ridiculous.

And as for Shaq ... that man is a freak of nature.  Seriously.  You see him on TV and you think -- that's a big dude.  But no.  That's not a big dude.  That is a GIANT not of this world.

Ok, so I offered nothing on the subject.  I just wanted to name drop. 
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 02:51:18 PM »
Yea, I went to a Clippers game 2 years ago and saw my idol Michael Jordan.  Man that man was BIG.

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 02:54:13 PM »
Yes they are better athletes and Yes Shaq is huge - but hes got a cute/teddybear thing going on too!

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 03:00:56 PM »
KG is still skinny, though.

;D

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 03:03:12 PM »
KG is still skinny, though.

;D

Yea so is RIP

jgomez

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 03:04:41 PM »
table tennis is the the most played sport in the world, including asia, europe, and the united states.  it is even more played than soccer.  The speed of the ball is faster than any other sport and success in this sport is based on your eye-hand cordination, agility, and footwork.  The best table tennis players are from europe (for example Vladimir Samsonov) and asia (for example MA Lin), and they are not black. 

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
  • BA Cornell, MA Sacred Heart, Pepperdine Law in Aug
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdoptAPitbull
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 03:05:02 PM »
KG is Papa Alien.  Sam Cassell is Baby Alien.
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

slick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 04:47:31 PM »
I'd have to agree, that in general black people are better athletes.  The proof is in the puddin'.  If you look at professional sports today, they are dominated by black athletes.  This is not to say that whites or asians or hispanics or any other ethnicity cannot excell in sports.  There are many non-black athletes that can dominate a particular sport.  But I think, that just by shear numbers, the argument can be made that black people are generally more athletic than other races.  This of course does not mean that all blacks are athletic or that every sport is dominated by black athletes.
"If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off of my face"