Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire  (Read 12368 times)

lex19

Re: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2005, 02:55:34 PM »
fyi - from what i'm told if you are black and in europe most europeans assume you're african and not american....but i've never been, just what my friend told me after living in spain for a year

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2005, 02:57:42 PM »
fyi - from what i'm told if you are black and in europe most europeans assume you're african and not american....but i've never been, just what my friend told me after living in spain for a year

this is probably true considering most blacks in europe are from africa.

MsJay9

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2005, 03:03:38 PM »

When I was in Europe I was told I was African....when I told them I was from Ohio they looked at me like I was crazy   :-\
If you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got!

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2005, 03:06:11 PM »

Exactly.  So your first point is moot Amarain...as for the security tape?  Does anyone have a link? Let's see it.  
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2005, 03:10:21 PM »
here's a spin.. some people are just ignorant.. perhaps these sales people didn't know their African Geography..

since South Africa has a huge white population.. perhaps they considered anything outside of South Africa to be North Africa..

i really don't think that is far fetched..some people are just dumb and get too much credit for having common sense..

The problem that I have with that comment is that a. it makes no sense - Oprah is not North African and the stereotypical North African is not black like Oprah and b. according to the news reports, the security tape backs up the store's claim that there was no such comment and c. there is no evidence at all to suggest that the comment was actually made, unless you count the New York Post's "source".

And if I wanted to be really cynical I would suggest that it's mighty convenient that this makes such a great subject for her show...

At any rate, the basic situation here is that a rich person wasn't given special privileges exactly when she wanted them. It's not like someone made her give up her seat on the bus or actually infringed on her civil rights. Which is why I think this is a spoiled celebrity issue rather than a race issue.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »

Exactly.  So your first point is moot Amarain...as for the security tape?  Does anyone have a link? Let's see it.  

There's a difference between African and North African, though. I think that when Europeans think of North African, most think of Algerians/Moroccans/Tunisians who generally do not look like people from Senegal or subSaharan countries. But OK, let's say that this "person" whoever they are, meant to say just "African" and was thinking of all black people. Did they say it in English or French, anyone know?

lex19

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2005, 03:17:32 PM »
another fyi am, i know morrocans who are darker than me (and i'm brown skinned)  so don't go there  :(

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2005, 03:19:33 PM »
 :D

another fyi am, i know morrocans who are darker than me (and i'm brown skinned)  so don't go there  :(
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

YoungIke

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2005, 03:20:11 PM »
You cannot classify something as a race issue just because you didnít make it to the store on time. As for them thinking she was North African, she in Paris. They donít see black people every day. Why are they supposed to be experts on telling where a black person is from? Next time she want some jewelry I'll bet she bring her ass to the store on time. If this were a regular black person we would not even be hearing about this situation. She is just used to being spoiled.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2005, 03:22:11 PM »
Why do people call her spoiled when she has worked for every comma in her bank account?  Paris Hilton = spoiled.  Oprah...not really.
Think before you speak.