Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire  (Read 11561 times)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2005, 01:29:55 PM »
However, it is very irresponsible to play the race card and fabricate an incident of racial profiling where none exists.  Hermes has a security camera that recorded the whole thing and the North African remark simply didn't happen.  Oprah was respectfully handed a card by a security guard and told that although the store was closed, she could return the next day and make her purchase. 
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

lex19

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2005, 01:37:15 PM »
so twarga you were in Paris with Oprah or at the Hermes store, or better yet you saw the tape?? cause i'm sure the security camera was able to record the whole incident  ;)

edit: maybe i should open a retail boutique and practice "reverse racial profiling" and see what happens ::)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2005, 01:58:49 PM »
lex you know your shop would be closed right away.. and if people like angelus showed up he'd be the first person leading the march against reverse racism :D :D
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

lex19

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2005, 02:15:26 PM »
lex you know your shop would be closed right away.. and if people like angelus showed up he'd be the first person leading the march against reverse racism :D :D

it'll be all good blk, i'll use the money from promoting you letures to set everything up....and then you'll have one more topic to discuss and then i'll be able to recoup  ;D (it could be huge blk)

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2005, 02:29:06 PM »
MSNBC.com
A spokeswoman for Winfrey’s Chicago-based Harpo Productions told The Associated Press Thursday the talk-show host plans to discuss her “Crash” moment when “The Oprah Winfrey Show” returns to the air in September.

“Crash” is a film dealing with race relations.-

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

lex19

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2005, 02:31:14 PM »
mo, you can be the store manager, i wanna get a large man for security, preferably someone of middle eatern decent! hehehehe

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2005, 02:37:05 PM »
MSNBC.com
A spokeswoman for Winfrey’s Chicago-based Harpo Productions told The Associated Press Thursday the talk-show host plans to discuss her “Crash” moment when “The Oprah Winfrey Show” returns to the air in September.

:o Sounds like she didn't think the North African comment was fake...

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2005, 02:39:25 PM »
MSNBC.com

:o Sounds like she didn't think the North African comment was fake...

Exactly.  I can't see why Twarga is so quick to dismiss it as a fabrication, unless there is something I'm missing.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2005, 02:52:05 PM »
it will be huge lex.. i'm working on a business plan!!! :D

well come on crash..i still need to see that movie...

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2005, 02:52:18 PM »
The problem that I have with that comment is that a. it makes no sense - Oprah is not North African and the stereotypical North African is not black like Oprah and b. according to the news reports, the security tape backs up the store's claim that there was no such comment and c. there is no evidence at all to suggest that the comment was actually made, unless you count the New York Post's "source".

And if I wanted to be really cynical I would suggest that it's mighty convenient that this makes such a great subject for her show...

At any rate, the basic situation here is that a rich person wasn't given special privileges exactly when she wanted them. It's not like someone made her give up her seat on the bus or actually infringed on her civil rights. Which is why I think this is a spoiled celebrity issue rather than a race issue.