Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire  (Read 12046 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2005, 03:52:22 PM »
if you build it... they well come..

i knew that once i mentioned your name you'd come out of lurker status and respond..

thanks.. ;D

lex you know your shop would be closed right away.. and if people like angelus showed up he'd be the first person leading the march against reverse racism :D :D

Actually no. I've seen more whites pocketing stuff than minorities. A lot of whites do it slieight f hand right in front of a store employee and get away with it. My geuss is that they would catch more shoplifters if they focused on white people.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2005, 03:54:15 PM »
MSNBC.com
A spokeswoman for Winfrey’s Chicago-based Harpo Productions told The Associated Press Thursday the talk-show host plans to discuss her “Crash” moment when “The Oprah Winfrey Show” returns to the air in September.

“Crash” is a film dealing with race relations.-

And just like when she discussed her 'beef' moment, she will be sued.  And for the record, I wasn't with Oprah or anything, duh!  The news story said the encounter in question was recorded and didn't substantiate Oprah's account. 

Wanna bet she won't get sued.  Oh, and what news story Twarga? Could you post a link.  Thanks.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2005, 03:55:24 PM »
You cannot classify something as a race issue just because you didn’t make it to the store on time. As for them thinking she was North African, she in Paris. They don’t see black people every day. Why are they supposed to be experts on telling where a black person is from? Next time she want some jewelry I'll bet she bring her ass to the store on time. If this were a regular black person we would not even be hearing about this situation. She is just used to being spoiled.

fyi, there are a significant number of Black people in Paris.  Now, the Parisians may not care enough to learn where the Black people are from (sad since many are from those former French colonies), but Black people are certainly there.  When I visited from Dublin it was like a breath of fresh air :)

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2005, 03:56:14 PM »
There's nothing wrong with getting privileges for being rich or for being a loyal customer or anything like that. What's wrong is demanding extra perks as if they were owed to you just because you're rich. That's what I have a problem with - celebrities, from Oprah to Gwyneth Paltrow, acting like they are somehow way above everyone else and that the world owes them everything just because they're rich and famous.

Actually, I have no idea if Oprah is even saying that this was racism because there still has been no reliable source to confirm that anyone has even properly claimed that the North African comment was made. A tabloid reported that 'a source' said that it was made. So maybe that's just the tabloids making a big deal out of it. But given the fact that she's going to make a special episode out of this, I'm inclined to think that someone is, in fact, claiming that it was said. And considering that so far, there is nothing at all to back it up, I'm inclined to believe that it's not true.

The story just doesn't make sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is she (or her people) saying that the store knew who she was but refused to let her in because "they'd been having a problem with North Africans"? Why would they deliberately turn away one of their wealthiest and most influential customers and knowingly make an inflammatory comment that could only reflect badly upon them? Everyone at the store is just so incredibly rotten and hopelessly racist that it blinds them to every bit of common sense?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2005, 03:57:13 PM »
hey..did anyone..anyone at all actually hear Oprah (not her camp..friend..hairdresser...m ake up artist) say anything about this matter?

if not.. no need to continue to say that she's had a hissy fit and called the matter racism..

I think what's so frustrating to me is that here is some astronomically wealthy celebrity who throws a hissyfit whenever people don't go out of their way to please her every whim, and all she has to do is whisper the 'r' word, and suddenly everyone comes to her defense, like she's a modern day Rosa Parks, standing up for her God-given right to have exclusive access to luxury stores at any time.

Just because she earned her money like most people doesn't mean she is suddenly some sort of superior human being who has a right to demand that everyone stop what they're doing and cater to her.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

YoungIke

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2005, 04:01:47 PM »
I stand humbly corrected. I can only go on my experiance in East Asia where they do not see African-Americans on a regular basis, only on T.V.  However, they do see Africans and they do not treat them with much respect. I do believe Oprah could have been discriminated against but since the average person is not used to the customs of celebrities, it is hard to sympathize with her.

You cannot classify something as a race issue just because you didn’t make it to the store on time. As for them thinking she was North African, she in Paris. They don’t see black people every day. Why are they supposed to be experts on telling where a black person is from? Next time she want some jewelry I'll bet she bring her ass to the store on time. If this were a regular black person we would not even be hearing about this situation. She is just used to being spoiled.

fyi, there are a significant number of Black people in Paris. Now, the Parisians may not care enough to learn where the Black people are from (sad since many are from those former French colonies), but Black people are certainly there. When I visited from Dublin it was like a breath of fresh air :)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2005, 04:02:53 PM »

fyi, there are a significant number of Black people in Paris.  Now, the Parisians may not care enough to learn where the Black people are from (sad since many are from those former French colonies), but Black people are certainly there.  When I visited from Dublin it was like a breath of fresh air :)

basically.  plenty of North africans have tints similar to or darker to Oprah's skin color.  

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2005, 04:04:49 PM »
So do we think that the store actually thought that Oprah was North African, hence the comment?

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »
So do we think that the store actually thought that Oprah was North African, hence the comment?

her and her crew.  quite possibly.  From a French perspective she kinda looks Tunisian

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2005, 04:07:57 PM »
There's nothing wrong with getting privileges for being rich or for being a loyal customer or anything like that. What's wrong is demanding extra perks as if they were owed to you just because you're rich. That's what I have a problem with - celebrities, from Oprah to Gwyneth Paltrow, acting like they are somehow way above everyone else and that the world owes them everything just because they're rich and famous.

Actually, I have no idea if Oprah is even saying that this was racism because there still has been no reliable source to confirm that anyone has even properly claimed that the North African comment was made. A tabloid reported that 'a source' said that it was made. So maybe that's just the tabloids making a big deal out of it. But given the fact that she's going to make a special episode out of this, I'm inclined to think that someone is, in fact, claiming that it was said. And considering that so far, there is nothing at all to back it up, I'm inclined to believe that it's not true.

The story just doesn't make sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is she (or her people) saying that the store knew who she was but refused to let her in because "they'd been having a problem with North Africans"? Why would they deliberately turn away one of their wealthiest and most influential customers and knowingly make an inflammatory comment that could only reflect badly upon them? Everyone at the store is just so incredibly rotten and hopelessly racist that it blinds them to every bit of common sense?

And considering the fact that there is nothing at all to back up the hissy fit explanation, you're still inclined to believe that it's true.  hmmm
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006