Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire  (Read 11164 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2005, 03:24:12 PM »
 :-X

Why do people call her spoiled when she has worked for every comma in her bank account?  Paris Hilton = spoiled.  Oprah...not really.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2005, 03:24:30 PM »
I think what's so frustrating to me is that here is some astronomically wealthy celebrity who throws a hissyfit whenever people don't go out of their way to please her every whim, and all she has to do is whisper the 'r' word, and suddenly everyone comes to her defense, like she's a modern day Rosa Parks, standing up for her God-given right to have exclusive access to luxury stores at any time.

Just because she earned her money like most people doesn't mean she is suddenly some sort of superior human being who has a right to demand that everyone stop what they're doing and cater to her.

angelus

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2005, 03:26:36 PM »
lex you know your shop would be closed right away.. and if people like angelus showed up he'd be the first person leading the march against reverse racism :D :D

Actually no. I've seen more whites pocketing stuff than minorities. A lot of whites do it slieight f hand right in front of a store employee and get away with it. My geuss is that they would catch more shoplifters if they focused on white people.

lex19

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2005, 03:27:12 PM »

I think it is pretty clear that they did it because they've had “a problem with North Africans lately.”  granted the French can be very anal about closing times, but I guarantee you if Tom Cruise had shown up they would have been fawning all over themselves to help him

I think E made a very valid point early with the mention of tom cruise.....and Oprah is spoiled, but you know what if i were her i'd expect the same thing especially when i heavily endorse your store and products, b/c that's the way things work in the realm of celebrities especially where haute couture is concerned...who else can buy the ish on the regular???

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2005, 03:27:49 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I like white people. I trust their judgment.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
I think what's so frustrating to me is that here is some astronomically wealthy celebrity who throws a hissyfit whenever people don't go out of their way to please her every whim, and all she has to do is whisper the 'r' word, and suddenly everyone comes to her defense, like she's a modern day Rosa Parks, standing up for her God-given right to have exclusive access to luxury stores at any time.

Just because she earned her money like most people doesn't mean she is suddenly some sort of superior human being who has a right to demand that everyone stop what they're doing and cater to her.

This is a huge assumption though.  How do we know that this is the case?  How do you know that she is whispering the "r" word without cause....actually that she is lying, cause that's what you are basically saying.  How do you know?  You might be creating this frustration in your mind, unless you know that this is the case Amarain.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2005, 03:33:38 PM »
It's not like she showed up at the store at 9pm, called the owner and said, get down here.  I need to buy a watch.  I was watching an episode of the Anna Nicole Show (yes, I am embarrassed to admit that) and Anna needed something in a different size, but the store was closed.  The owner got on the phone, made some calls and opened the store for her.  That was for one measly pair of pants.  

Being a celeb/billionaire has its privileges.  What is wrong with that??  We all get kudos for spending money places.  I am proud of all the points I earn at CVS and frequently go back to use my coupons! :P
Think before you speak.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2005, 03:43:44 PM »

This is a huge assumption though.  How do we know that this is the case?  How do you know that she is whispering the "r" word without cause....actually that she is lying, cause that's what you are basically saying.  How do you know? You might be creating this frustration in your mind, unless you know that this is the case Amarain.

From what i remember when i was running errands today, NPR News and Notes reported that Oprah (maybe it was one of her producers?) said that if it were Brittney or Barbara (Streisand), Hermes would have let them in.  To me, it sounds like someone in Oprah's camp (if not Oprah herself) was bringing race into the equation.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2005, 03:46:34 PM »
MSNBC.com
A spokeswoman for Winfrey’s Chicago-based Harpo Productions told The Associated Press Thursday the talk-show host plans to discuss her “Crash” moment when “The Oprah Winfrey Show” returns to the air in September.

“Crash” is a film dealing with race relations.-

And just like when she discussed her 'beef' moment, she will be sued.  And for the record, I wasn't with Oprah or anything, duh!  The news story said the encounter in question was recorded and didn't substantiate Oprah's account. 

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2005, 03:49:56 PM »
fyi - from what i'm told if you are black and in europe most europeans assume you're african and not american....but i've never been, just what my friend told me after living in spain for a year

Absolutely true.  It always threw people off telling them I'm American.  It was also amazing how quickly the treatment would change ::)