Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire  (Read 11696 times)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Shopping While Black--- Doesn't matter if you are a billionaire
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 06:44:49 PM »
so.. if all the cases and registers were closed then why were there still shoppers in there...

assuming that the shoppers that were in the store were considering buying a purse... then at the very least one cashier had to have a register open...

correct?

Correct... but I still bet it comes out that the whole North African thing was made up by one of Oprah's lackeys.  She thinks she's the freakin' queen of the universe.  She's really out of touch.  My point is, you don't show up at a store after hours without an appointment and expect them to serve you.  Period.  That shows total lack of respect to the salespeople, and I think it's sad that they should have to answer for not serving the queen.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

steve23ucsb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 06:45:32 PM »
She shouldnt have been buying French goods in the first place. Boycott france!

;)

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 07:03:20 PM »
But the article said there were still shoppers inside and she was just going to buy a watch. I'm sure Oprah was aware that it was near closing time. The store could have closed the doors and just let Oprah get her watch. But I did retail a long time ago too and understand what you are saying about those lingering customers.

psssst...I think it was because she is black

psssst... I think it was because all the cases were locked, the register was counted and they wanted to go home.  I also think one of her entourage lackeys made up the North African statement to take the heat off of them for not calling ahead. 

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »
But the article said there were still shoppers inside and she was just going to buy a watch. I'm sure Oprah was aware that it was near closing time. The store could have closed the doors and just let Oprah get her watch. But I did retail a long time ago too and understand what you are saying about those lingering customers.

Near closing time?  Try AFTER closing time.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

charseven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 08:11:25 PM »
it hasnt occurred to anyone that north africans are of arabic rather than nubian decent?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 08:14:15 PM »
"The source also told The Daily News that Oprah arrived at the store near closing time, though there were still shoppers inside, to buy a watch for friend and singer Tina Turner."

Near closing time?  Try AFTER closing time.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 08:16:18 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

it hasnt occurred to anyone that north africans are of arabic rather than nubian decent?

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »
psssst... I think it was because all the cases were locked, the register was counted and they wanted to go home.  I also think one of her entourage lackeys made up the North African statement to take the heat off of them for not calling ahead. 

How is it more likely that Oprah's lackeys just decided to "invent" an accusation of racism, than the racism having actually occured? Granted, I couldn't care any less about this story (I wish I suffered the inconvenience of shopping while black...as a BILLIONAIRE!), I just find it odd that some folks seem more ready to accuse Oprah and Co. of fabrication.

C'mon, France hasn't exactly been the most accomodating nation to "africans" of any descent lately. (Also, there are plenty of Nubians in the former French colonies of Niger and Mali, both of which are in North Africa...the entire Maghrib is pretty racially heterogenous anyway.)
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.

[C'mon, France hasn't exactly been the most accomodating nation to "africans" of any descent lately. (Also, there are plenty of Nubians in the former French colonies of Niger and Mali, both of which are in North Africa...the entire Maghrib is pretty racially heterogenous anyway.)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 10:50:30 PM »
so you're saying that you believe that a famous billionaire (or her media camp) would place slander on a  French purse shop knowing that she could easily be sued? that doesn't make much sense...

i seriously doubt that Oprah  would pull a race card..just look at her following...

most people with money think that they're queen or king of the universe... i am sure there aren't a lot of humble rich folks out there...

i am a little confused by your statement..as the article said that it was Near closing time...so as i said before...at the very least one register had to be open...

and i'm pretty sure that most women have walked into a store a time or two near closing time..

so.. if all the cases and registers were closed then why were there still shoppers in there...

assuming that the shoppers that were in the store were considering buying a purse... then at the very least one cashier had to have a register open...

correct?

Correct... but I still bet it comes out that the whole North African thing was made up by one of Oprah's lackeys.  She thinks she's the freakin' queen of the universe.  She's really out of touch.  My point is, you don't show up at a store after hours without an appointment and expect them to serve you.  Period.  That shows total lack of respect to the salespeople, and I think it's sad that they should have to answer for not serving the queen.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...