Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Don't know what to do...  (Read 1111 times)

ocap8

• View Profile
Don't know what to do...
« on: June 10, 2004, 02:37:42 PM »
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can give me their advice/opinion on my law school plans for right now:

I've been accepted at U Florida (for spring term/January admissions) and Hofstra (hofstra 15k/yr scholarship). I heard today that Tulane will be extending me an offer of admission (off the waitlist) tomorrow; obviously I can't rely on that until tomorrow, though.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what i should do, go to Tulane, go to Florida, or what? I recently came back from a trip to Hofstra and it left alot lacking. I ideally want to practice law in the South, but more along the lines of Atlanta, Dallas and/or Houston, not so much Florida. As well, I'd like to have some possibility of working in Chicago after graduation.

So I guess at the end of the day, I can take Tulane's acceptance, go to school in September, or wait on Florida for January and potentially apply to other schools for next september (2005) and if I hear back from them before January, decide between those schools and Florida. But then, I lose a year when there might not be any need to lose the year.

I started the application process late, so the schools I applied to were not exactly a comprehensive list of prospective law schools; I chose them based on whether they were still accepting applications, and a certain sense of minimal acceptability for me.

Thus, barring any waitlist movement by Vanderbilt, Minnesota and Illinois, (the other schools i applied to, and were waitlisted at) what should i do? Will my LSAT (166) & GPA (3.08, total / 3.18 degree-inst, but with a better major GPA (3.5), and significant upward trends in my GPA)  hold up for next year's round of evermore competitive admissions cycles? Or should I just go to Tulane or Florida and thank my lucky stars? I'm not that picky when it comes to environment or other factors commonly associated with law school selection, frankly the only ones that matter to me are: where will i work afterwards, how much will i make, and are the law school facilities nice and expansive.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
Re: Don't know what to do...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 02:57:44 PM »
Okay, well here's my take on a few things you mentioned:

1) Florida is a tier 1 school, correct? Are you in state? It's ranked higher than Tulane, so if you can get in-state rates, I see no reason you shouldn't go there.

2) Don't count on applying early and getting answers before January.  I applied to 22 schools, 16 of them in early fall (Sept/Oct) and only got one acceptance by the end of January.  I think I got a few rejections before that, but those were my reach schools who pretty much took one look at my LSAT score and threw my application out the window.

3) Have you visited U of Florida?  Did you like it?  A tier 1 school is likely to have firms recruiting from all over the immediate region--I'm guessing you could easily get a job in Atlanta from there.  Getting a job in Texas would be harder but still possible.

Overall, I'd say go to Florida.  It's a good school and can get you where you want to go.  Good luck!

ocap8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 03:06:34 PM »
Thx for your suggestions...

I should have stated: no, I'm not in-state for Florida tuition. I'm actually a bloody Canuck so scrap getting in-state tuition rates or federal aid, I guess I'll just have to swallow the whole bill.

Good point about the whole applying and hearing before january, I thought that would be the case, but I had some hope because Tulane sent me the "we'd take you, but we have no space" letter like 2 weeks after I submitted the App.

LambdaChi03

• Sr. Citizen
  • BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 01:10:01 AM »
I think you should go to Tulane if you really want to practice in Houston or Dallas.  A Tulane JD travels well in TX.  Don't pay too much attention to the rankings of the two schools.  Come on, it should be obvious that the rankings are flawed.  The rankings can be severely skewed by people driven by their own political agendas.  Go to the school where you feel that you will have the most potential to succeed!  I also wouldn't suggest waiting until next year.  Admissions will be harder next year.  Good luck!

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 09:29:50 AM »
I say Florida U.  I live in Austin now, and perhaps its just that UT is here but I really don't see Tulane's reputation being so great.  I think Florida U's name will travel easier to Chicago, partly just because more people have heard of it.  However, if you're sure that you would like to work in TX right after graduation, than I think the schools are more balanced. 

I think the first decision you need to try to make is where do you think you will most likely want to live for two years after graduation?

nonono

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 09:08:16 PM »
You should DEFINITELY go to Tulane.  It has a much better reputation then Florida.  Especially if your paying out of state rates.  Why start in the spring when you can start now?  Job wise, Tulane should be the school of choice.  Good luck!!

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 09:24:43 PM »
Admissions will be harder next year.  Good luck!

You could be right on this but I am hoping you are wrong.  I actually looked at stats for LSAT administrations and it looks like they peaked and may begin decreasing. take a look...

not that anyone should put off applying to law school on that basis, i just thought it was interesting.

http://lsat.com/LSAC.asp?url=lsac/tests-administered.asp