Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's heading to Washington University - St. Louis??  (Read 1002 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who's heading to Washington University - St. Louis??
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 11:16:16 AM »
I actually just started my search! It's crazy, I know, but I just got in...Does anyone have any good advice for a one-bedroom <650/month?

Craig's List and any of those apartment guide websites.  You should have no problem finding a 1BR under $650, from what I've seen.
Fed gov't atty

kittybofo11

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 11:34:25 AM »
First decide if you want new or old (like 1904 old).

If you want new head west. Brentwood (by the mall) has some newer apartment complexes that if you are from another city you might be more used to.

If you ok with charming but old start with the Loop. A ton of undergrad and grad students live there. It is by far one of the cheaper places to live. The neighborhood is a little alternative. Great record store. Really good Indian and Thai. Can be kind of noisy at some places, but doesn't have to be. Just ask around. A good choice.

If you want a little bit more "grown up" start with Debaliviere(sp?)-- on Pershing Ave. My sister (is a lawyer) had a huge 1 bedroom there for $675. Very quiet building. There are several of them all along Pershing owned by the same people.

Then there is the Congress/Senate (nicer) and Westmoreland on Union Ave. They are old hotels that are now apts. Have some charm to them. The studios are fairly big. I know a few med students that live there. Pretty reasonable.

Central west end is probably going to be the most expensive. Great neighborhood though. I had a studio there for nearly $600. Parking in the true west end can be a pain in the ass, and you will probably have to pay extra for a spot (if available) or get ready to move your car on odd wednesdays and even tuesday. I had many $15 tickets.

Finally, on the opposite side of campus from the Loop is a pretty quiet little neighborhood that I can't remember what it is called formally. It's near Schnucks and Cali's coffee. A few smaller apt places that are pretty quiet.

Overall, have fun in St. Louis. I went there for undergrad but am heading to Minnesota for LS (not just because it's ranked higher).

Some of my favorite places to eat are there and I've lived in several cities.

gailrules

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 11:41:44 AM »
You also might want to consider West County for nicer places for your money. It's a little farther away and not close to students but if you want quiet and few distractions, it's a good bet.

WashUniv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 12:14:12 PM »
Thanks kittybofo11, I'll definitely look into those places...everyone keeps mentioning the Loop - so I'll start there.

gailrules, I'll look into West County too, but I really wanna be within walking distance of the school.  thank you too!

TomServo

• Sr. Citizen
  • We are our own photographer!
    • ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=TomServo
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »
I think I'm headed there next cycle... of course, I have to get admitted and all that jazz, but it seems likely that I'll get in, and I've got family and history in St. Louis.

Plus, it'll be nice to get outta the L.A. traffic... and into the St. Louis traffic.  :)

WashUniv

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 01:24:52 PM »
I think I'm headed there next cycle... of course, I have to get admitted and all that jazz, but it seems likely that I'll get in, and I've got family and history in St. Louis.

Plus, it'll be nice to get outta the L.A. traffic... and into the St. Louis traffic.  :)

Good idea.  I was out in LA a few years back and it was bad then, can't imagine the traffic got any better.  Hope to see you there  :) 

Anyone else going to WUSTL?

WashUniv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 10:13:30 AM »

Good idea.  I was out in LA a few years back and it was bad then, can't imagine the traffic got any better.  Hope to see you there  :) 

Anyone else going to WUSTL?

bump....i think we need to start a new Yahoo group too cause the current one for WUSTL 08 is no bueno.  let me know what yall think.

Texas Tiger

• View Profile
    • Statistics
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 12:08:03 PM »
What's up WashUniv.  I am headed to Wash U.  Went to the housing day last week and found a place (living in more of the residential area west of campus).

All of our future classmates seemed cool (probably met between 20 and 30 people.  It seems like everyone is from a different part of the country which is cool.  A bunch of us went to a Tapas restuarant and to a bar that night which was fun.

ramason

• AOL Instant Messenger - Roxanna1314
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 09:02:55 AM »
Yeah wash u!  I'm already in town, because I did my undergrad there, and I'm getting excited about starting up again in the fall.  As far as apartments go, DO NOT rent from Reserve at Forest Park...they own a lot of the apartments in the Skinker/Debaliviere area, and although they are quite affordable and look nice at first, they fall apart quickly and the landlords never fix ANYTHING.  I've been in my new place at The Chesterfield , which is at the corner of Union and Waterman, for a month and a half now and I love it. I have a "studio" but it has a bedroom and goes for $550/month.  Their full one-bedrooms have a full dinning room and a den as well as the bedroom, so there's tons of room, and I think those start at $600/mo.  The one thing about the building is that almost everyone owns a dog (I have two myself) so if canines aren't your friends you would hate it. 

As for a yahoo group, I'm skeptical--I tried setting one up a couple months ago and before I even got the chance to spred the word on LSD the group was getting spammed like crazy, so its probably not worth it...if we could find some other site to set up a listserve and get to know eachother I would definitely sign up, though.   
LSAT:  169
UGPA:  3.29
Accepted:  WUSTL$, SLU$$$
WL:  Northwestern, UIUC
Rejected:  GW
Pending: Penn, Emory, Vandy