Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra or NYLS for NYC law?  (Read 691 times)

Nellabella

• View Profile
Hofstra or NYLS for NYC law?
« on: June 21, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »
I like NYLS's location but I understand that Hofstra is ranked higher.  Which would be better if planning to work in NYC after school. I would like to work in a firm (I already know I prob wont be able to work in biglaw).

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hofstra or NYLS for NYC law?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 03:14:08 PM »
6 of one. 1/2 dozen of the other. Yeh, Hostra is ranked a little bit higher, but not by much. I also understand that its slight difference in ranking separates it from T3 schools. However, you have to look at it this way. In NYC, you have Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Seton Hall, St. John's, & RU Newark grads all competing against you for jobs & all coming from more reputable schools. The key at both Hostra & NYLS is to do well. Maybe at Hofstra you'd only have to finish in the top 13% of your class for a decent starting job, whereas at NYLS you'd need to finish in the top 10% or so. I really do think the difference is that marginal. Go where you can do well.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:49:25 PM »
I like NYLS's location but I understand that Hofstra is ranked higher.  Which would be better if planning to work in NYC after school. I would like to work in a firm (I already know I prob wont be able to work in biglaw).
Rankings differential is negligible (if you were talking Brooklyn Law or Fordham, it would be another matter). Where to go then will depend on other factors. Do you want to live in NYC? Long Island? Let the environment guide you.

makotosan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 04:28:42 PM »

Rankings differential is negligible (if you were talking Brooklyn Law or Fordham, it would be another matter). Where to go then will depend on other factors. Do you want to live in NYC? Long Island? Let the environment guide you.

I second that. After spending a substantial amount of time looking in the area, the number one factor for schools within a marginal spread should be where you feel comfortable. If you like the city, you're obviously better off there. Hofstra isn't horrible, but housing can be somewhat tricky and it's not all the easy to get to the city (for the love of god don't try to drive, but then again, that's anytime you're headed to NYC).
Attending: Temple ($)
Accepted: Seton Hall (full $), St. John's (full $), Hofstra (full $), Lewis and Clark ($), Pitt ($)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=makotosan

http://excessivedicta.blogspot.com/

fooseball22

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 09:53:17 AM »
I've done quite a bit of research on ny schools and the differences arent that great.  Oddly enough, i believe hofstra does place well in NYC even though its a LI school (i've heard 70%, but im not positive on that one).  Plus, i think it places quite a few graduates in big law IF you do well (top 20% is necessary for this).  NYLS, not quite as good as hofstra in terms of its programs, but the job placement, i assume, is quite similar, but obviously a little less than hofstra (the difference is marginal).  From my friends who go there, they seem happy with it, but awed when i say im going to hofstra...im not sure this is a good sign.  But with either choice, its location location location.  The only downside to hofstra is that its far from the city (im def. going to miss it), but are you really going to want tons of distractions while ur trying to kick *ss your first year?  Probably not.

Nellabella

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 11:25:12 AM »
From my friends who go there, they seem happy with it, but awed when i say im going to hofstra...im not sure this is a good sign. 

Awed in a good or bad way?

fooseball22

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 03:42:35 PM »
like...'you're going to a good school' awed.  I mean, it wasnt dramatic, but there was a hint of 'i wish i went there'.  But still, both schools are very solid and ur going ot get a good JD from both.