Law School Discussion

Inspiron 6000 Question?

Re: Inspiron 6000 Question?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 04:45:44 PM »
My old laptop is the 8600, which is now considered the 6000. It's not heavy at all.

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 04:51:37 PM »
I'm using the 6000 right now outside, and I can see the screen just fine, even with the sun.  Inside in a classroom setting, it's perfect.  I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 05:13:47 PM »
I LOVE my 6000.  Been using it for about two months, mostly just for personal stuff, but I've also taken it on a couple of business trips and it wasn't a hassle to carry at all.  (I'm a 5'11", smaller-boned chick. I don't think the 6000's weight would be a big issue for most average-sized folks, male or female.)

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 06:38:23 PM »
I LOVE my 6000.  Been using it for about two months, mostly just for personal stuff, but I've also taken it on a couple of business trips and it wasn't a hassle to carry at all.  (I'm a 5'11", smaller-boned chick. I don't think the 6000's weight would be a big issue for most average-sized folks, male or female.)

5'11", small boned... that's pretty much perfection in my book!  The world needs more women like you, Monkey... but single :)

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 07:08:07 PM »
i have had 3 dell laptops, and yes, dells generally have poor screen quality, but they are cheep...that hp will probably have much better picture quality.  I just got a Fujitsu with "crystal view."  I get lots of compliments on the picture quality, its amazing actually. The only thing i dont like about the laptop itself is the weight--but i could use the exercise.  And opt for the higher cell/mha battery.

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 09:25:24 PM »
I have had several dells both desktops and laptops.  I use them alot for all kinds of stuff and have never had a problem.  The screens were never the best but then i didnt expect them to be.  I am on my new 6000 right now and liking it alot.  I thought I wouldnt like the keyboard but it is very nice.  The one thing I wasnt sure about was screen resoltuion.  I got the lowest (like 1200 x 800 or so.  I figure this will just be for looking at papers and email so I dont want to strain my eyes.  Plus I have a nice dell desktop with a nice lcd to do graphics with.  I got everything else though: 2 GB Pentium M, 533 FSB, 1 G ram, 60 GB HD and some other stuff.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 09:35:32 PM »
Im seriously considering getting this computer, but i have reservations about the screen.  The other computer im looking at is an HP which has a brightview glossy screen which looks spectacular.  Can anyone tell me if the screen is up to par with other comparable computers.  Thanks very much.

you really can't go wrong with a dell.  i'm not sure about the screen size.  it's fine for me, but i think you can decide the size screen you want. 

just don't try calling dell.  it's impossible getting ahold of someone.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 07:17:58 AM »
Im seriously considering getting this computer, but i have reservations about the screen.  The other computer im looking at is an HP which has a brightview glossy screen which looks spectacular.  Can anyone tell me if the screen is up to par with other comparable computers.  Thanks very much.

you really can't go wrong with a dell.  i'm not sure about the screen size.  it's fine for me, but i think you can decide the size screen you want. 

just don't try calling dell.  it's impossible getting ahold of someone.

I had the opposite experience.  When my $100 rebate check hadn't arrived one month after Dell's Web site said it had been mailed I called customer service.  It took me no longer than 5 minutes to get ahold of a real, live person.  Then in another 5 minutes he had fixed the problem by issuing a $100 credit directly to my Mastercard.  The next day I got an e-mail from the customer service rep telling me the credit was about to post to my account, and the day after that I got an e-mail AND a voicemail from him to verify that I had received the credit! 

When the rebate check never arrived, my initial thought was: "Oh no, here we go: This is how they make money off the mail in rebate scam.  It will take months of effort before I finally convince them to send me another one."  I couldn't believe how quick and painless it was to fix the problem, and how far the customer service rep went to follow up on it afterwards.

link0

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 07:29:28 AM »
The dell 6000 is a decent large screen laptop mainly because it is very cheaply priced compared to better brands. ~800 with the $750 promotion dell has every other week.

It is quite heavy for a laptop though. Don't buy it if you are using it as a secondary computer for taking notes in class. If you bring a large LCD monitor to school, you could just hook up a smaller/lighter laptop to it when you come home. Best of both worlds.