Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola LA waitist  (Read 1129 times)

janey

• View Profile
Loyola LA waitist
« on: June 21, 2005, 01:10:57 PM »
Has anyone on the waitlist heard yet?

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola LA waitist
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:59:01 AM »
I called on Monday and a very irritated-sounding admissions person said "No new info on the waitlist.  Call back in 1-2 weeks."  Fortunately I hadn't given my name because he sounded very unhappy (probably many others were told as I was to call back on the 20th).
163, 2.9
Attending: USD

janey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 12:44:18 PM »
thanks. i see you're attending usd. i too will most likely be going to usd (if i don't get off the waitlist at loyola). i was just accepted off the waitlist at usd and am filling out their institutional aid form... did you happen to receive any scholarship $ from them?

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 04:26:37 PM »
I called on Monday and a very irritated-sounding admissions person said "No new info on the waitlist.  Call back in 1-2 weeks."  Fortunately I hadn't given my name because he sounded very unhappy (probably many others were told as I was to call back on the 20th).

that wasn't very nice of him.  perhaps he was a little perturbed by the number of people turning down admission offers? (just kidding!)  i'm hopeful for you! keep the faith.

Leah22

• AOL Instant Messenger - BrnBaby22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »
I havn't heard anything yet, but I know the 17th was the last day for people admitted to accept their offer ... hope to hear soon  :D
May the Force be with you all.

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the well-wishing Perversely.  Yeah, I know that the deadline was the 17th and I think that's why they originally told me to call back Monday.  I figured it would take longer than that to sort out deposits and what-not but I just did what the admissions rep told me.

Janey, yeah I really want to go to Loyola just because I want to wind up in LA and my longterm GF is too stubborn to move to SD.  Other than that I'm stoked on USD, I think the market is great down there (if I can't get work back in LA) being that its the cream of the crop as far as SD goes.  Looking at NALP there are quite a few BIGLAW firms in SD that recruit only out of T-14, UCLA, USC and USD.  Also it looks like many Orange county firms split up there recruiting between LA and SD. 

As far as scholarships, yeah I was hoping for but didn't get it.  I wasn't surprised since I had a 2.9GPA, not exactly something that scholarship committee's look for in a candidate.  Unfortunately I don't think you have much of a shot if you were off the waitlist.  I would guess that they gave out all the $$ a while ago.  But maybe....otherwise you might have to face the cruel reality that I did.  My worst case calculation of $50K per year (not including any money earned during the summers) paid back over 10 years with my interest rate came to $225,000 all said and done!  Ouch, that's a condo in most parts of the country!

Are you doing anything to prepare (Books or classes) for school?
163, 2.9

janey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 02:13:27 AM »
im almost positive i wont get any money, but hey, i guess its worth a shot. they give out some need based scholarships/grants which is kinda nice. we'll see. if i got into loyola, i would definitely go. im from LA and want to work and settle here so it just makes sense. i dont plan on  taking any sort of prep courses, but i was thinking of picking up one or two books. i read a review online for "introduction to the study and practice of law" by Hegland and it sounds really helpful. 

have you looked into housing for usd? i definitely haven't started and have no clue where to begin.

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »
If your looking for books check out Law School Confidential.  It made me feel 100% better about law school.  I definitely going to follow much of its methods and advice.

Yeah i've been looking at housing online but i don't think anyone will want to talk to me about a lease for August 1st until early July.  I'm definetly living by myself.  I'm kind of surprised how many people want to find roomates.  I think you really need a sanctuary during your first year, I mean what if you get a really irritating person?  that could throw your whole first year off.  As others on this board have said, I think you just need to go down there and drive around to find a place.
163, 2.9

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 01:46:56 PM »
Hi janey, I will be attending USD next year.  Just wanted to let you know, if you do end up going to USD, there is a thread going on on all USD issues, including housing and how USD dropped the ball on the roommate list.  I am looking for housing now too, I would suggest craigslist, sdreader.com, the san diego union tribune website, and the usd off campus housing bulletin board, those are sites that i have been looking at every day
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 01:50:52 PM »
RM,
Im in that debate right now too, whether to live by myself or to find a roommate.  im kinda leaning toward living alone too, ive talked to several people who have finished law school and they reccoemended that, a place where you can go to to escape law school for a while, instaed of going home to a roommate whio is freaking out about everything too.  And its definitely a crapshoot living with someone you don't know, you don't need all that drama if things go bad along with law school stress.  My only deal is its pretty pricey to live alone, but I think im going to start making some calls in the next week or so, i have already seen some places open up for early august
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego