Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Health Insurance... anyone get it?  (Read 1800 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: Health Insurance... anyone get it?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 10:26:46 AM »
I have been worried about this for months.  I looked up the UT insurance plan and it pretty much blows.  They way I understand it, it does not even cover pre-existing conditions.  I wouldn't even need much insurance (except for major illness/accident) if it weren't for pre-existing conditions!!!  At any rate, I have not found any reasonable solution yet.  So let me know if you do...
Attending: Texas

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »
I have been worried about this for months.  I looked up the UT insurance plan and it pretty much blows.  They way I understand it, it does not even cover pre-existing conditions.  I wouldn't even need much insurance (except for major illness/accident) if it weren't for pre-existing conditions!!!  At any rate, I have not found any reasonable solution yet.  So let me know if you do...

Have you looked at Blue Cross/Blue Shield?  Do *any* insurance plans cover pre-existing conditons?

howarddavis

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 11:21:59 AM »
sorry to say most suck ass when it comes to pre-existing conditions. i looked at a few, either declined me or had a waiver for my condition (unacceptable). so i am going to have to go with cobra (offered by jobby job). it is good for 18 months. if you are declined by a bunch of them your state may offer "high risk" insurance which sucks ass. it is the great nation of usa that has no insurance! wee hoo!
"one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer"
now that is a study break
http://howied.ebloggy.com

lex19

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 11:25:22 AM »
burgh,

I have blue shield / blue cross and they will waive the one year wait for coverage on pre-existing conditions if you show them documentation of at least 18 month of prior health insurance coverage...i did this and it was easy and quick, took them about a week to process my papers....and i'm going to stick with them after i leave with my job, i've been spoiled

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 11:56:39 AM »
i haven't read through the fine print, but the health ins brochure i got from umn says that the program if part of blue cross blue shield and that there is no pre-existing condition clause. i'll believe it when i see it. i, too, have been worried about it for months. for the short term i could do cal-cobra, or i think my job would probably just let me pay the cost to continue my current really good coverage - but probably not for 3 years.

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 12:35:31 PM »

I was worried about this too, but I think that if you can show proof of continuous coverage then many insurance companies waive the pre-exisitng condition bull.

A.J.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 12:37:10 PM »
Im heathy so why should I be a burden and suck more taxpayer subsidized heathcare out of the system?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 02:23:11 PM »
Thank god for Emory's insurance.  No pre-existing condition clause, and all prescriptions (generic anyway) covered for $10, including birth control. 

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 02:40:01 PM »
Thank god for Emory's insurance.  No pre-existing condition clause, and all prescriptions (generic anyway) covered for $10, including birth control. 

Yeah but how much does it cost?

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
What I found on Chickering's UVA plan
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 03:05:53 PM »
I've started my reserach with the Chickering Group's plan at UVA. It covers all kinds of stuff for dependents that doesn't really apply to me, so I'm wondering if a sparser plan elsewhere might be more cost effective.

Chickering's UVA policy has a $1600 premium, and there's a $150 deductable, and after you've met that the plan will cover 90% of most doctor visits and 80% of lab fees. You pay the other 10% or 20% as the case may be, and that is called "co-insurance." The plan will pay for that stuff at 100% once you've paid $1,500 in "co-insurance," but co-pays, the $150 deductable, amounts you have to pay because it was above what chickering deemed "reasonable charges--all that stuff doesn't count toward the $1,500. Basically you can only get there by adding up your personal 10% of doctor visits and 20% of lab fees. http://www.chickering.com/stu_conn/student_connection.aspx?group_number=812806

I think they want most people just to use campus health services: "Student Health professional services are covered by your student activity fee. This means there is no charge for your visit with a Student Health provider (e.g. Physician, nurse practitioner, mental health clinician, or health educator).  Unless otherwise noted, ancillary services (e.g. lab tests) received at Student Health or ordered by a Student Health provider will be covered at 100% without application of a Copay or Deductible. Ancillary Services provided at Student Health include, but are not limited to:
Immunizations
Injectable Medications (except contraceptives, which are covered under the Student Health
Insurance Plan)
Medical Supplies & Services
Laboratory Tests"

Chickering's UVA policy does cover contraceptives including the ring.

You can optionally get separate dental with Concordia for $150 premium with a $50 deductable and a $750 annual payout limit. This is only worth it if you might have cavities, but I had seven this year so I'll probably do it. The plan considers posterior composite fillings (the tooth colored ones that look normal) to be "alternative" which means it will only pay as much as if you got the amalgam (the dirty looking silver fillings that take a huge chunk out of your tooth).
http://www.chickering.com/stu_conn/student_connection.aspx?group_number=812806

I am going to go see what Blue Cross/Blue Shield can offer me. (cross posted to UVA thread)
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA