Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Health Insurance... anyone get it?  (Read 1817 times)

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Health Insurance... anyone get it?
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:32:30 AM »
should I be worried?
I haven't gotten any info on this.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Health Insurance... anyone get it?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:14:17 PM »
I haven't officially done anything with it yet, but from what I've been reading, the typical plans offered by most schools (and/or the ABA) are basically just there to cover you if you really get sick or injured - they don't offer much in the way of ongoing care, or for anything "outside the box."  For someone straight out of UG, that may be all they need or are used to, but when you've had solid coverage for years through work, it's a real bummer to read through these "health plans" that don't offer much of anything!  I may try and finagle it so I can keep my current coverage through work (I have a cool boss who's open to that kinda thing), although it'll be pricey.  But, I want to be covered if I need another knee surgery, and to keep my current prescriptions, etc. (I've read that some of these plans specifically exclude coverage for annual PAPs for women, as well as for birth control pills.  Gimme a f-ing break!!!)
Attending: W&M

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:25:35 PM »
I guess no one really cares yet.

I just wanna make sure I can keep getting my scripts

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 04:46:34 AM »
My school isn't sending insurance info until next month. no prob _T_.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 11:07:53 AM »
For that matter, does anyone know anything about short-term health insurance, just between when my old crap school one expires and I start new, with the new school?
Georgetown c/o 2011

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »
thanks

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:04:33 PM »
It depends on your age.  If you are under 25, some plans may let you continue coverage under you parents' insurance (other, like mine, is 23).  If you can find a cheaper, better plan, take that over the school's plan, they do give you the option to refuse the school sponsered insurance and save all that money.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

apopheniac

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 03:42:45 PM »
Got some plan info this past week from W&M; their plan appears to be more or less what the ABA offers.  Compared to what I have been getting through my work over the past few years, these plans are pretty bad in terms of cost and coverage.  It does cover scripts at $15 for generics.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
Chickering Group or other insurance?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 02:32:08 PM »
I haven't really gotten down to researching health plans yet. I know my school uses Chickering Group, and I found one scrap of information in a BU thread I think that said Chickering Group doesn't cover contraceptives--which SUCKS! But I don't like contraceptive hormones anyhow so it doesn't affect my individual health outlook.

My big priority is having medical/dental and vision if I can get it. I had six cavities this year and I don't fancy going it without insurance.

For comparison purposes I am going to look into ABA coverage I guess. I work for a small company and they only have to do COBRA for six months, so I probably won't do that. I will be checking out Blue Cross too if they offer a plan where I'll be.

What is everyone else coming up with for good health care that doesn't cost an arm and a leg??
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 10:18:02 AM »
COBRA is ridiculously expensive.  My company has a pretty bad health plan, and it would cost me $200 a month to continue using it through COBRA!  The plan that Northwestern offers isn't much cheaper.  The only reasonable option I've found so far is Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which offers dozens of plans from $50-$100 /month.  Of course these benefits are much more limited than what I'm used to, even with the bad health insurance I have through work now.