Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLSA?  (Read 1918 times)

awesome

• View Profile
    • Email
BLSA?
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:21:27 AM »
To this post will probably be primarily responded to by those of us blacks who attend non-HBCU law schools.  So for those us of blacks who attend predominantly white law schools, are BLSA's serving a meaningful purpose, where there is a spirit of unity and kindred?  It has been my experience since law school that BLSA is the BLSSA, Black's Law Students Social Assembly.  There is probably more bickering at BLSA meetings there is at a VIBE awards ceremony.  I am hoping that this experience is unique to mine, but it does not appear to me that it is.  Some whom I have spoken to exress similar discontent. 

Having said that shouldn't a serious topic of discussion for us black law students (and there is not one who has not considered him or herself a leader of some sort) become aimed at survival, authentication (not rules of evidence), and black pride in a mostly white profession?

Secondly, is your BLSA president fake and a wannabe Carol M. Braun or William Gary?  And is that the leadership needed?

Thirdly, is your BLSA merely a forum for venting after you have become tired of having sex with the same law students?

Sincerely,

Awesome

HBCU.EDU

Re: BLSA?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 11:39:52 AM »
Awesome- :D What's up bro. I haven't heard from you in a while. I'll definitely have to hit you up. So, I'll take it from your post that BLSA is bull? lol..hopefully this is the case only at your law school. I would hope that SU Law does something real. But, we will see. Hey, the attitudes of the BLSA students are probably better than those fools in 128 ozone drive lol. (inside joke). 

Hey, tell the people on the board about your experience working for the summer in regards to working with criminals etc.

awesome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 11:56:56 AM »
Ahhhhh....most definitely better than 128.  With the exception of one or two, they emphatically remind me of you know who.

But this summer clerkship I have down here in Macon, GA has been a roller coaser for a ride.  Board members those of you who have started your clerkships or will be postponing until next summer, just know what you are getting into.  Know that you will start off at the dirt bottom, but you have to work hard at what you do and be convicted that your ethic justifies your hire.  Some of you may be surprised that even as a law clerk you will experience some politics, the kind that is played in bigger firms where the low self-esteem and mediocre attorneys do all they can to make partner.  I have an assoicate at this firm who despises me.  I cannot understand it.  Although she is not far removed, she has already passed the bar.  I mean really why is she sweating?  I dont want her job anyways (HBCU knows the plan). 

But in all of your efforts board, "to thine own-self, be true". Leave your firm having convinced your managing attorney/s that their summer would have been miserable without you. 

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 12:05:36 PM »
Ahhhhh....most definitely better than 128.  With the exception of one or two, they emphatically remind me of you know who.

But this summer clerkship I have down here in Macon, GA has been a roller coaser for a ride.  Board members those of you who have started your clerkships or will be postponing until next summer, just know what you are getting into.  Know that you will start off at the dirt bottom, but you have to work hard at what you do and be convicted that your ethic justifies your hire.  Some of you may be surprised that even as a law clerk you will experience some politics, the kind that is played in bigger firms where the low self-esteem and mediocre attorneys do all they can to make partner.  I have an assoicate at this firm who despises me.  I cannot understand it.  Although she is not far removed, she has already passed the bar.  I mean really why is she sweating?  I dont want her job anyways (HBCU knows the plan). 

But in all of your efforts board, "to thine own-self, be true". Leave your firm having convinced your managing attorney/s that their summer would have been miserable without you. 

No matter where you go, you will always run into someone who swears that you want their job. You just have to figure out a way to keep them off your back as  you do your thing.  It is worse when it is your boss that thinks you want their job. ;D
Back in the saddle again.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 12:12:35 PM »
I didn't really participate in BLSA..I was usually busy when they had their meetings.. however it is very social indeed..same as Pan-Hell in that regard..and greeks know how those meetings tend to go lol..

I guess that a better comparison would be Black Student Union/Association..

there are some good programs that are put on for the black students now and then..sometimes it's hard to get the majority of the black population to attend however... I remember this from personal experiences from being in office..

all and all though.. i think it's better on the National level and it's best to use the BLSA for their programs...nothing wrong with being social...

but you'll definitely see the cliques.. and since i didn't want to revert back to high school :D.. I tended to stay away from the majority of the events
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

awesome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 12:24:31 PM »
I feel you blck reign:  I have gone to two meetings in two completed years of law school. Interesting point you made though. I can remember about 8 blacks at an Amistad viewing we had during Black History Month, but at the beginning of the year social I heard me and about two others were the only blacks not in attendance.  Our priorities seem twisted.

Nadege

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, what law school do you attend? I am entering law school in the fall and was looking forward to getting involved with BLSA. Seems like from your experience, they get absolutely nothing done...
Ain't no feelin' like feelin' free
When your mind's made up and your heart's in the right place...

awesome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 01:29:36 PM »
I attend Univ of Arkansa, Fayetteville. 

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 01:36:12 PM »
I attend Univ of Arkansa, Fayetteville. 

I know someone who went there, what do you think of the black professors there?
Back in the saddle again.

awesome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 02:45:38 PM »
Of course there are not many, only four. But they are cool.  I believe that they have different importance.  The best all around is probably our Evidence professor. He has been called by even some whites, the best professor there.  We have a sister there who is really a great person and compassionate about the black student body.  She is one of the hardest workers in the profession.