Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does anyone watch Girlfriends?  (Read 2510 times)

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Does anyone watch Girlfriends?
« on: June 21, 2005, 03:35:49 AM »
My brother loves to watch this and I have no choice but to watch it along with him because its his TV. But I just started noticing something . . .  the main character, Diana Ross daughter, is a lawyer. I thought this show was about 4 chickenheads . . . wow . . . was I wrong. Its about 3 chickenheads and 1 lawyer.

But I was watching this episode where the main character quit her job at the law firm. And the William guy just got promoted as Senior partner. Good show.

ElegantPerl does show have a good depiction of life as a lawyer?

Lets discuss.

elegantpearl01

Re: Does anyone watch Girlfriends?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 04:07:42 AM »
That show is a highly stylized depiction of life as an attorney. First, I haven't see any attorneys with a wardrobe as fly as Traci Ellis Ross' wardrobe (I'd literally kill someone for her wardrobe..jokes). Second, I don't think anyone would keep a secretary as trifling as Mya around.  Third, their interactions with the partners are quite comical.   I do think the show is accurate with regard to the dating trials/tribulations that many professional sisters experience.  And I do think the profession can make you as nutty and neurotic as Joan (Traci Ellis Ross).  I do think that Joan's frustration with being an attorney can be accurate for some people. We have an attorney here who left the profession to start up a couple of coffee houses....much like she left to start a resturant. Some people get burned out on the rat race.

faith2005

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 10:21:23 AM »
mya is a secretary, toni is a real estate officer or whatever you call it and lynn is a perpetual phD student. all of them are far from chicken heads. i like the show. i wish i was like lynn, but i can feel myself becoming neurotic like joan and it scares me  :-\ i always thought joan's wardrobe was pretty risque for firm life, but i just assumed that LA is different than other places. my friends who go to ls in dc rarely wear anything outside of black suits and gray suits with white/blue shirts to their jobs. its sooooo boring. but dc is more conservative than nyc/boston/la so, i was hoping other places you get to change it up a little.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 10:47:01 AM »
mya is a secretary, toni is a real estate officer or whatever you call it and lynn is a perpetual phD student. all of them are far from chicken heads. i like the show. i wish i was like lynn, but i can feel myself becoming neurotic like joan and it scares me  :-\ i always thought joan's wardrobe was pretty risque for firm life, but i just assumed that LA is different than other places. my friends who go to ls in dc rarely wear anything outside of black suits and gray suits with white/blue shirts to their jobs. its sooooo boring. but dc is more conservative than nyc/boston/la so, i was hoping other places you get to change it up a little.

The law is a very conservative field.  Most lawyers that work for big firms, carry themselves accordingly.  I dont think it matters where you are.  Unless you land in a firm that is more liberal.  But as always, I could be wrong.
Back in the saddle again.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 11:32:11 AM »
There are several female attorneys (partners and associates) where I work that dress their butts off.  We also frequently have discussions about shoes, make-up, hair etc. 

Mya would have been fired after her second day.  She gets on my nerves acting like a drag queen all the time.
Think before you speak.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 11:40:19 AM »
There are several female attorneys (partners and associates) where I work that dress their butts off.  We also frequently have discussions about shoes, make-up, hair etc. 

Mya would have been fired after her second day.  She gets on my nerves acting like a drag queen all the time.

:o :o :o :o :o

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 11:45:23 AM »
I watched the show last night. Does that make me gay?  :-[

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 11:48:24 AM »
Yes, very gay.

You big dummy

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 11:34:30 PM »

Lynn has like 4 masters degrees. And she sleeps with a different guy every night. Plus she doesnt have a job. Toni is a gold-digger who marries for money, and has self-hate. Mya needs to get checked, she aint all that.

I still consider them chickenheads . . . just upscale chickenheads.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 12:40:07 AM »
I like girlfriends . . .I know it can't be real ( I mean how many friends do you have that sleep around as much as Lynn?) but its fun to be sucked in for 30 minutes . . . .they really crack me up.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!