Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does anyone watch Girlfriends?  (Read 2513 times)

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone watch Girlfriends?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 02:06:44 PM »
my friends who go to ls in dc rarely wear anything outside of black suits and gray suits with white/blue shirts to their jobs. its sooooo boring. but dc is more conservative than nyc/boston/la so, i was hoping other places you get to change it up a little.

I have found this to be VERY true.  I never had to wear a suit at the engineering firm, so working around these lawyers all day has opened my eyes to their fashion.  I thought I had it down, but I was wrong.  My stuff is too...for lack of a better word, liberal.  I got different colored dress shirts and ties etc.  No.  Not how its done. 

Faith hit the nail on the head.  Black or Grey suits.  White shirts or LIGHT blue shirts only.  Conservative ties only.  What I typically see brothers and sisters wearing at the first fridays or whatever around the city is not what goes here.  I had to go out and buy all new sh!t, which hurts, b/c as struggling law students you'd like your loot to go towards stuff other than work clothes.

Wow, that's good to know.  The women don't wear any colors either?  Can you at least spice it up with jewelry or scarves?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 02:49:57 PM »
Girl yes you can spice it up with scarves and jewelry... :)

aside from the black and grey  (i'd never in my life wear a navy suit sorry) power suits.. i also wore suits that were shades of brown into the firm.. i even had a crimson suit that i wore sometimes..

you can even wear (drumroll please) dresses :o who would have thought? :D

pantsuits.. nice blouses with skirts even...

I seriously doubt that most people think that they can wear what they'd wear to First Fridays into a law firm ::).. that's kind of silly..

We're all old enough to know what proper business etiquette is especially when dealing with high profile jobs..

I think that what it boils down to in some cases is that people are afraid to take the risk because of what they believe that conservatism really is..

rule of thumb.. if you'd wear it to go to a club.. don't wear it to the firm.. unless you tend to dress classier than typical club folk
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 03:07:10 PM »
my friends who go to ls in dc rarely wear anything outside of black suits and gray suits with white/blue shirts to their jobs. its sooooo boring. but dc is more conservative than nyc/boston/la so, i was hoping other places you get to change it up a little.

I have found this to be VERY true.  I never had to wear a suit at the engineering firm, so working around these lawyers all day has opened my eyes to their fashion.  I thought I had it down, but I was wrong.  My stuff is too...for lack of a better word, liberal.  I got different colored dress shirts and ties etc.  No.  Not how its done. 

Faith hit the nail on the head.  Black or Grey suits.  White shirts or LIGHT blue shirts only.  Conservative ties only.  What I typically see brothers and sisters wearing at the first fridays or whatever around the city is not what goes here.  I had to go out and buy all new sh!t, which hurts, b/c as struggling law students you'd like your loot to go towards stuff other than work clothes.

Wow, that's good to know.  The women don't wear any colors either?  Can you at least spice it up with jewelry or scarves?

lol, yeah the women stay spiced up.  The head of their HR is a sister and she chaired their quarterly meeting the other day in some type of orange and gold ensemble.

But then again, HR is HR.  The women lawyers are afforded more creativity in their dress.  The gear that I've seen sisters in at first fridays (NY) can definitely pass in the corporate setting, even though the corporate setting is more watered down that the social scene obviously.

As for the fellas, its like Faith said.  Dull.  And these ties these cats be wearin... straight up K-mart style.  I'm lookin at these cats like, you're making 150k+, what are you doing with the Blue Light special knot, son?

But the higher ups, they do come clean. You can tell these cats have bread. I watch what they wear sometimes and take my cues from them.  They will come in with the monochrome shirt & tie combo; always the nice silk tie, solid color or diaogonal stripes which are back in for the fellas.  Keep the shoes polished, never caught slippin.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

elegantpearl01

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »
See it's a little different in Florida. The women often wear pant suits with open toe sandals or high heeled mules. Men can wear lighter colors. You can always spot a Miami lawyer, because they wear a lot of pastels and linen suits. It's the latin/carribean thing. Not to mention it's hot as all heck down there. But when we go to Court, everyone wears the somber suits....

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 02:43:09 AM »
Why did elegantpearl delete her account?

I just saw the episode of Girlfriends when the main female character felt pushed around by all the male lawyers. She felt that her ideas werent being considered. Females, do you ever get afraid of this?

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 07:40:11 AM »
You can be conservative and still be fly. You have more to work with than colors to distinguish yourself.  I'm kinda tall and thin so I have my suits tailored (3 piece whenever possible nice to have the option). It is always better to get a suit tailored because it shows you care about how you look. I'm tried ofpeople walking around the office in their daddy's or little brothers suit. It looks horrible. When I can afford it I invest in a Canali I often do complementing it with a white shirt so it brings out the color and a nice Hermes tie in a crisp windsor. I can work with helmut lang and DKNY though. This is a Canali I just purchased and I'm waiting for the alternations to be completed.

Now you may say it looks like a regular blue pinstrip but it's cut makes it come off as an entirely diferent suit.

As far as girlfriends I watch the show because they're hot. It's pretty entertaining I like Joan and the golddigger one..In my opinon she is the only one thats a chickenhead. Mya just talks to much....but that would make her a chickenhed too I guess.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2005, 11:23:22 AM »
nice suit.. good taste :)
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2005, 11:25:10 AM »
thanks
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass