Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choosing housing from across the country...what to do?  (Read 497 times)

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
Choosing housing from across the country...what to do?
« on: June 20, 2005, 10:43:30 PM »
Hey ppl. I'm going to California with an aching in my heart. Orientation is the 8th of August, and i was planning on living in the law school housing on campus. I just got a message from my school saying that i am on a waitlist and am number 12. That was a big shock to me. Now it looks like i am gonna have to get off campus housing. My question is, wtf am I supposed to do from a couple thousand miles away. I don't want to choose housing without actually seeing the places, and the stupid pictures that they have online on sublet.com or craigslist never give you a good idea of what the place is really like (well, i assume). Should i leave my job early and go and look for housing and then just stay there. Early would be July 22 or so.

only real advice plz, and i know someone will say some stupid *&^% like "you act like you've never looked for an apartment before". Well I haven't ever looked for an apartment. SO there.
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing housing from across the country...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 10:54:22 PM »
Why don't you head out for a couple of days in July and secure a place. Also, maybe jump up the date of your move in just to get everything settled before orientation

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 11:53:37 PM »
Well, where are you going? If I remember correctly, you're going to Santa Clara. I grew up there and my family is still there so I could probably help you out. Where are you looking?

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 08:14:42 PM »
I'm in the exact opposite sitation... CA chick moving to the east coast. And I have an apartment all set for august.

What worked for me was using craigslist.org and checking the online classified ads for newspapers in the area. You may also want to try a realtor or see if the school can put you in touch with other students, etc for housing. Also try searching for property management companies in the area and see what is available at various complexes.

I shelled out the $400 to fly across the country to look at places, and it was well worth it. Some of the places I orginally liked were totally dingy, and I was pleasantly surprised by other places thaI had orginally been less interested in.

Good luck!

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 08:18:31 PM »
also look on apartmentguide.com, rent.net, forrent.com. there should also be apartment locators in that city with a website. usually you enter your info and then someone will contact you, send you floorplans, etc.

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 01:00:21 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys, and for the offer to help Scurvy (oh oh, the magical booty). I have decided to go on out there my self after looking on craigslist and other sites and contacting sellers. I will be going out in late july and i think i should be able to find a place withing a couple of days. I will be staying at a hostel until i get something. I should already have a good 10-15 places lined up to check out, so it should only be a few days. This will settle my nerves, and it will allow me to really settle in before school starts.

One question though, would it be unusual for me to ask a seller/renter to hold a place for me for a few weeks? I don't know if i tell them i'm a student if they may cut me some slack. I've already seen many really nice apartment,but i fear they will be gone by the time i'm gonna move and i will be left with the crappiest of the crappy to choose from.  Aw hell, i'll suck it up and chill for right now.

gratias tibi ago...
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 04:41:44 AM »
Being a student, I don't think it would be thought unusual for you to ask to hold a few weeks. Though the renter may not do so.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

gamaya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 01:50:55 PM »
I would be very surprised if the person renting the place agreed to hold it for any longer than five days without some sort of deposit. 

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 02:04:38 PM »
go out there some time soon and find a place a few weeks before you want to move.  or else if you can't swing an exploration trip, go there a few days before you want to move in, stay in a hotel until you find a place, and cross your fingers.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 05:17:57 PM »
One question though, would it be unusual for me to ask a seller/renter to hold a place for me for a few weeks? I don't know if i tell them i'm a student if they may cut me some slack.

It wouldn't be "unusual" for you to ask.  Landlords are perfectly willing to "hold" the apartment for you as long as you are paying for rent from the day that the apt is vacated or otherwise becomes available ;)
Fed gov't atty