Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Went to B&N last night... check out the books I got!  (Read 5414 times)

Sen

• Dreaming of being a soul-less corporate lawyer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Went to B&N last night... check out the books I got!
« on: June 10, 2004, 10:37:58 AM »
Alright, after about an hour of walking around, I picked up 40 bucks worth of books:

1. Scientific American June Issue (With the molecules in front)
2. Scientific American June special ed. (With the dinosaurs in front)
3. Journal of Informed Opinion (Basically a collection of liberal political anti-war sentiment)
4. Freidrich Niezsche's All too Human (Always wanted to read it, but never had the time)
5. The Economist June issue (with the soldiers spilling out an amphibious assult vehicle)
6. Plato's the Republic (dry as hell)

Feedback? Comments? I pretty much took up the suggestions of some of the board members and am reading these during downtime. My plan is to do 2 hours of studying, with 1 hour of reading everyday. So far, the material I'm reading seems to mesh nicely with the RC passages. I'm doing alright on them already (-2 to -4) but I'm looking to get some more time on each of the sections with my newfound reading skills.  ;D
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sen

Deposit @ UNC
Waitlisted @ BU, WUSL, Fordham, Gtown
Last Hope @ Vanderbilt

jgruber

Re: Went to B&N last night... check out the books I got!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 10:40:18 AM »
Looks good but you could have saved money.  The magazines could be had for pennies used and the books are at the library.

M2

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 10:40:52 AM »
Seems like a pretty good mix...you got all the basic LSAT RC groups..

Molecules, Dinosaurs, liberal politics and boring philosophical stuff

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 10:43:04 AM »
i didnt run into any RC regarding nietzsche, but all too human is an excellent book.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Victor

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »
Alright, after about an hour of walking around, I picked up 40 bucks worth of books:

1. Scientific American June Issue (With the molecules in front)
2. Scientific American June special ed. (With the dinosaurs in front)
3. Journal of Informed Opinion (Basically a collection of liberal political anti-war sentiment)
4. Freidrich Niezsche's All too Human (Always wanted to read it, but never had the time)
5. The Economist June issue (with the soldiers spilling out an amphibious assult vehicle)
6. Plato's the Republic (dry as hell)

Feedback? Comments? I pretty much took up the suggestions of some of the board members and am reading these during downtime. My plan is to do 2 hours of studying, with 1 hour of reading everyday. So far, the material I'm reading seems to mesh nicely with the RC passages. I'm doing alright on them already (-2 to -4) but I'm looking to get some more time on each of the sections with my newfound reading skills.  ;D

I concur, Plato's The Republic is dry.

Smart move by getting the economist.

Sen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 11:32:23 AM »
Thanks guys.
I tried to resist the dorky sci-fi novels I grew up with as a kid but maybe I'll treat myself to one after Monday. The Nietzche is probrably the most interesting of the bunch- with the  Journal of informed opinion coming close- and Plato is dead last. God I almost hurt myself falling asleep on my keyboard reading that badboy.

I would like to add that American Scientist is a good publication to read. That is a LOT more hardcore than Scientific American. The articles in American Scientist I would say are a little TOO in depth. You'd need extensive interest/background in the sciences to really get into that one. Which is perfect if you want to strengthen your reading endurance.

I'm going to pick up Hannity's Let Freedom Ring @ Price Club this weekend for a conservative viewpoint. I'm actually really enjoying this aspect of studying for the LSAT. I'm soaking up knowledge like a sponge and its forcing me to think about the things I read- something distinctly lacking with my major of study being Business (Finance).
-Sen

Deposit @ UNC
Last Hope @ Vanderbilt

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 02:26:35 PM »
I did the same thing yesterday and got mags 1, 2, and 5. The test-makers seem to be super dino-crazy so the SA special ed. was especially appropriate. Also got the latest National Geographic and some archeology mag. At the very least, I'm hoping that the increased exposure to science-related material will decrease my anxiety level when faced with a science RC passage, esp. when subject matter aside, the questions are generally easier than the ones for liberal arts passages.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 02:37:11 PM »
I don't get it...why would you use these things to prepare for the LSAT? You're much better off spending that time doing practice tests or working on the LG  Bible or something.  When I took the LSAT, I do not recall ever thinking "darn, I wish I'd read Plato's Republic or this month's Scientific American!"

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 04:36:02 PM »
Seems like a pretty good mix...you got all the basic LSAT RC groups..

Molecules, Dinosaurs, liberal politics and boring philosophical stuff

Don't forget Native American property rights.

Sen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 07:01:03 PM »
I don't get it...why would you use these things to prepare for the LSAT? You're much better off spending that time doing practice tests or working on the LG  Bible or something.  When I took the LSAT, I do not recall ever thinking "darn, I wish I'd read Plato's Republic or this month's Scientific American!"

Well perhaps I already have the LG bible? Yup, I do. Actually, I have almost every available resource you can buy. I'm a firm believer in not taking a prep class, and spending all my money on buying resources. So far, I hasn't even come close to the 1,000 dollar mark.

But whether my thinking pays off or not, we'll soon see;)

-Sen

Deposit @ UNC
Last Hope @ Vanderbilt