Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop/PDA/Cell Phone ALL IN ONE?  (Read 467 times)

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
Laptop/PDA/Cell Phone ALL IN ONE?
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:35:35 PM »
I'm not the most computer-savvy person, but I've heard that you can get a trio/blackberry/anyPDA and if it has blue tooth and your laptop has bluetooth you can automatically link them together???  Is this true?

Do I need a special kind of laptop or is this fairly common?

This is what I would like to do, but am not sure if it is possible, and if it is, I have no idea how to do it:  Have my laptop (which I have not yet purchased) and a PDA (also haven't purchased).  I want the laptop and PDA to link together (i.e., share address books, access same email account, share daily calendar, etc.)  The PDA should have a cell phone built in and internet accessible.

Thanks!

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
Re: Laptop/PDA/Cell Phone ALL IN ONE?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »
If its a new laptop and a new PDA they should be able to link together without a hitch, you may need a 3rd party software program like Intellisync to get them to link properly, but that's pretty simple. I've seen some of the new PDA/cellphone combos, they're pretty sweet.

larrydavid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 03:59:12 PM »
i currently use a treo 650 and thinkpad together.  works great.  wireless syncing, and even use the phone as a wireless modem when you need it in a pinch and you have no wifi available to you.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 02:36:51 PM »
i currently use a treo 650 and thinkpad together. works great. wireless syncing, and even use the phone as a wireless modem when you need it in a pinch and you have no wifi available to you.

What service provider do you use for your treo?  What kind of plan do you have, and are you happy with the plan you've got?

Thanks!

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 04:15:50 PM »
I'm also curious about this.  I've read about the treo 650 but the plan with verizon costs $90 a month!  Is it worth it?
Duke 2009

larrydavid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 10:07:44 PM »
I use cingular as the provider.  I'm not 100% into cingular though...Verizon is another good (prob better) option.  Either way, you will need to add an unlimited data plan which is ~$40 on either carrier.  Trust me with the unlimited.  If you use the data features alot, and dont have unlimited, you'll get hammered.  I have seen several bills well over $1000 from people not adding the proper data plan.

A treo 650 will come with all the software you need to sync with your laptop.  If you have bluetooth in your laptop, you can sync via that, otherwise the cable is fine.  Bluetooth is a SLOOOOW sync, esp if you have alot of data on there as i do.  The 650 also comes with a great browser and email client for wireless access to www and email.

I think it is worth every penny, but I'm an IT guy by trade.  If you are willing to devote some time to learning the device, it will pay you back many times over.  If you dont, you can be like some of my clients, and pay me too much money to setup / fix / maintain your device.