Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA - Where to live?  (Read 1695 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UCLA - Where to live?
« on: June 19, 2005, 08:54:16 PM »
I don't know much about LA other than the tourist attractions, so I am looking for some locals to help me find a good area to live in while I go to UCLA.  I am looking for one bedroom apartments that are affordable, not unreasonably far from campus, and relatively safe.  I will be living with my girlfriend, so I won't be paying alone, but we are still looking for rent that doesn't exceed $1200 a month (preferably less than $1000).

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UCLA - Where to live?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 09:05:18 PM »
You've got millions of options! Westwood has a lot of options. Santa Monica might be worth looking into, though it would be a drive. Besides a close proximity to LA and cheap price, what are you and your gf looking for?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 09:13:32 PM »
We are pretty open; we just don't really know anything about the different neighborhoods.  Location is probably the most important.  We will only have one car between us for a few months.  (I know this is a bad idea, but we don't have a choice right now.)  We don't really care if there is a lively bar/club scene.  Our idea of nightlife is of the dinner/movie/mall variety.  I am more worried about what we should avoid than what we should look for.  I'm the type that would sign a lease for a place in Watts or something because it would save me a few bucks a month in rent (and because I don't know what I'm doing).

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 09:43:14 PM »
My suggestion would to find something on a Big Blue line, also not too far from westwood. Try Palms, it's about 4-5 miles south of campus, a lot of UCLA students live there, especially grad students. You can probably also find a 1 bedroom apt in Santa Monica for around $1000-1200/mo. Also try the part of Westwood that is south of Wilshire Blvd. I don't know the availability of 1Br units there, but you could find something near the top of your price range.

As far as avoiding places, the bad parts of LA aren't that close to UCLA; most anything close to campus should be ok.

Consider looking on westsiderentals.com . It costs $, but I have heard good things about it.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 12:10:01 AM »
Hi, I'm an LA native... born and raised...

Question - Are you bringing a car?

If no, then give Palms/ Venice a shot. Be careful, since some parts can be kind of seedy and have their share of gang activity, but on the whole you should be okay. Rent will still be pricey...

There are lots of Westsider snobs (hehe) on this site that will tell you to go live in Santa Monica or "west of the 405" because as far as their concerned, that's where life begins and ends. Just be forwarned that rent out there is pricey, and traffic SUCKS. I was on the 405 this past Saturday, and it took me 45 mintues to drive from the 101 freeway to the Santa Monica Blvd. exit (it's only a couple of miles over the hill). Totally ridiculous.... I guess the weather was too nice and everyone was out and about. I will not miss the insane LA traffic when I go to school out of state...

If you want to save some money and you will have a car, try heading east a little bit. I'm an advocate of eastside living, but since you're going to UCLA, I'd say you should not go east of Korea Town. And for the record, DO NOT live in Korea Town.. it's just as bad as Watts, but they haven't had a riot yet to put them on the map. Give the "Mid-City" area a shot, as well as West Hollywood. There's a lot of great apartments near Melrose Ave. area (Melrose and Fairfax) as well as around 3rd street (3rd and Fairfax, to La Cienega and 3rd). You might even find some good deals in Beverly Hills, believe it or not. And if you check out the homes in the neighborhoods off Beverly Blvd (Bet. Beverly/ La Brea to Beverly/ Wilton) you can find a lot of great deals on guesthomes/ back houses.

If you really want to save dinero, you can commute from the "Valley" (North Hollywood, Studio City, etc.) but I leave that up to you. Another option would be to live in Downtown LA... that would be going just east of the 110 freeway, and while this suggestion contradicts my earlier point, I'm only suggesting it in the event that you get an internship or other opportunity with a downtown law firm or courthouse... it would be great to be close by!

Also, give http://aptmag.com  or  http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ a shot to get an idea of apts. in the area.

Good luck, and have fun at UCLA!  ;D

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 12:19:33 AM »
Thank you very much.  Both of you.  I have gotten plenty of ideas from your posts.  I might have some more specific questions about more specific streets as I look into things. 

Question:  When should I go out to look for apartments if I want an August 1 move date?

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 12:31:13 AM »
I would start as soon as possible.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 12:34:00 AM »
I would start as soon as possible.

I have already started looking, but we weren't going to leave for LA to actually try to sign a lease until after the 4th weekend.  Do you think that is too late?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 12:36:11 AM »
agreed. ASAP.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 12:46:43 AM »
I second the Mid City and 3rd/Fairfax areas. I lived over there for undergrad and the amount of space and room I got for the rent was pretty good. The only bad thing was the commute. But that was my fault because most times I would take Pico Blvd or Wilshire. It was easier to just jump on the 405 and get to UCLA. Also the Blue Bus goes on Pico Blvd and the there are a few MTA buses including the one with the limited stops that go straight to UCLA over in that area too.

Hi, I'm an LA native... born and raised...
 Give the "Mid-City" area a shot, as well as West Hollywood. There's a lot of great apartments near Melrose Ave. area (Melrose and Fairfax) as well as around 3rd street (3rd and Fairfax, to La Cienega and 3rd). You might even find some good deals in Beverly Hills, believe it or not. And if you check out the homes in the neighborhoods off Beverly Blvd (Bet. Beverly/ La Brea to Beverly/ Wilton) you can find a lot of great deals on guesthomes/ back houses.

If you really want to save dinero, you can commute from the "Valley" (North Hollywood, Studio City, etc.) but I leave that up to you. Another option would be to live in Downtown LA... that would be going just east of the 110 freeway, and while this suggestion contradicts my earlier point, I'm only suggesting it in the event that you get an internship or other opportunity with a downtown law firm or courthouse... it would be great to be close by!

Also, give http://aptmag.com  or  http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ a shot to get an idea of apts. in the area.

Good luck, and have fun at UCLA!  ;D