Law School Discussion

We should all be quite proud.

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
We should all be quite proud.
« on: June 18, 2005, 09:13:45 PM »
I was wading through the numbers today, and it appears that roughly 48,000 people enrolled in first-year law school classes last year.  The number for our class should hover somewhere around that one, give or take a few thousand.

If you take into account historical attrition rates of 5,000 to 6,000- that leaves about 42,000 people who will graduate with a J.D.

42,000 out of almost 300 million Americans.

1 out of 7000 people go to law school in America every year.

If you got in, whether it be Harvard or Cooley, you've achieved something and deserve to pat yourself on the back.  You've gone farther than most people you'll ever encounter.

Can we all agree on that?

Re: We should all be quite proud.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »
Thank you for putting things in perspective. I think we all need to step back, take a look at the big picture, and think about how special we are!!! ;)

Faure

• Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 04:48:58 AM »
If you take into account the vast number of applicants that applied and weren't accepted ANYWHERE, then yes, we certainly deserve some credit. Congrats to everyone finishing the process whether you are going to attend Cooley or Columbia.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 06:23:46 AM »
get over self.

Served

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 07:28:37 AM »
Really, how many smart people do MBAs, masters, Ph.Ds, have success in the business or political worlds.  When you look at success in general, simply be admitted to a JD is not really that special, even earning one is not all that great.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 08:35:07 AM »
i think the numbers regarding people who apply and don't get in are better indicators of the selectivity of law school than a comparison to an exagerated general population. 

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 10:47:03 AM »
i think the numbers regarding people who apply and don't get in are better indicators of the selectivity of law school than a comparison to an exagerated general population. 

You thought I was serious when I posed the question about the pencil.  You're a moron.

Served

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 01:59:28 PM »
Awww, we hurt somebody's feelings, awwww.  Do you want a cookie?

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 02:06:27 PM »
If you take into account historical attrition rates of 5,000 to 6,000- that leaves about 42,000 people who will graduate with a J.D.

42,000 out of almost 300 million Americans.

1 out of 7000 people go to law school in America every year.

Those other 6,999 people have other things to be proud of, too, I'm sure.  Maybe they're doctors, teachers, mothers, fathers, Peace Corps volunteers, military members, or taking time off to backpack through Europe... who knows?  What I'm sure of is that many of us are going to law school out of fear.  Fear of growing up, getting a job, testing ourselves in the real world.  There's very little pride in that.

A.J.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 02:11:07 PM »
get over self.

go @#!* self.  get self life.  leave website not for self.