Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone else super lazy  (Read 2167 times)

Marak5

• View Profile
    • Email
anyone else super lazy
« on: June 18, 2005, 07:58:19 PM »
well, I didn't really do *&^% for work during undergrad.  I just crammed before the exams and made mostly b's and c's.  but my lsat was decent.  I'm pretty worried, caus I've never really worked hard at school in my life.  I feel motivated, but it's just going to be a culture shock for me.  I'm perpetually lazy.  but I don't want to drop out/get kicked out of law school.  anyone else have these concerns?

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
Re: anyone else super lazy
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »
They don't call it "boot camp" for nothing.  Law school is just as much about testing your dedication as it is your intelligence.  At the end of the semester, the highest grades go to those who put in the time and effort.  From what I gather, the time crunch will consume upwards of 20% of the first-year class, and they'll be too swamped to keep up.  You'll be reading about four or five hours a day, with more thrown in to brief and outline.

At least you realize your weaknesses, which means you're ready to deal with them.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:37:17 AM »
well, I didn't really do *&^% for work during undergrad.  I just crammed before the exams and made mostly b's and c's.  but my lsat was decent.  I'm pretty worried, caus I've never really worked hard at school in my life.  I feel motivated, but it's just going to be a culture shock for me.  I'm perpetually lazy.  but I don't want to drop out/get kicked out of law school.  anyone else have these concerns?

haha, you're screwed

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 12:50:52 PM »
some people will rise to the challenge, and some won't.  be one of those that does, that's all.

at least you know going in that it's going to be a lot harder than what you've experienced to this point.
post-3L

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 01:53:28 PM »
Just try to mentally steel yourself for the fight you've got ahead of you.  You know its going to be a fight, I think we all know its going to be a fight, so just go into it knowing that you're going to have work really hard and not back down.  Just because you say you've never worked hard before does not mean that you are not cabable of it, just that no one ever really challenged you to do it before.  Look at it as a test of your will to succeed. 

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 09:41:16 PM »
At the end of the semester, the highest grades go to those who put in the time and effort.  From what I gather, the time crunch will consume upwards of 20% of the first-year class, and they'll be too swamped to keep up. 

The highest grades don't necessarily go to those who work the hardest.  Some people work their asses off and end up with mediocre grades.  That's why LS grading is so frustrating. 

Where do you "gather" your numbers?

ningirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 12:21:56 AM »
I know there are some people in UG that make good grades naturally, and they'll still have to study tons in LS. I work really hard and study a lot for good grades in UG.. I hope that doesn't mean I'll be one of those that freaks out and bombs in LS. I get stressed out and really care about what grades I receive.
OSU Moritz

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:28:32 AM »
I know there are some people in UG that make good grades naturally, and they'll still have to study tons in LS. I work really hard and study a lot for good grades in UG.. I hope that doesn't mean I'll be one of those that freaks out and bombs in LS. I get stressed out and really care about what grades I receive.

the profile of a future gunner

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 10:59:36 AM »
If you don't work hard, the law school Gypsy will be watching you and will tell your professors...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 11:15:02 AM »

the profile of a future gunner

Wow, that's harsh. I'd say that profile could go either way. There are lots of successful LS students that cared about grades and were in no way gunners. There are actual gunners, and then there are just students with good grades that the unsuccessful students call gunners. Big Difference. I was lazy in UG as well, but I've stepped it up in other aspects of my life. I'm excited and ready to start LS, I hope that the work ethic I've built up in the private sector can be transferred over.