Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)  (Read 3738 times)

glascow1

• View Profile
Re: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »
I was deciding between compaq, hp, dell and I got the 700M this week.  

At first I was concerned out how small the keyboard was - but I have small hands and fingers.  I got used to the keyboard real quick though after an hour on it - the problem is with the switching up between keyboards at work and at home - obviously keyboard at work is normal sized so I have to retrain my hands on the 700 - that wont be a problem when I start school.

I saw and used the 600 and was freaked out by how flimsy it seemed - I pressed a key on it and the whole lap top jumped up and the keys seemed flimsy too.  

I am happy with my 700M and I even think the portion of the 8 cell battery that sticks out looks like it belongs on the lap top - it makes it look more normal sized.  The extra battery time is great.  The screen is spacious for 12.1 and the visuals are clean and crisp and ultra - brite (too brite - I lower the brightness on it now).

I love its weight and size - it feels compact not flimsy and I can't wait to slide this baby in and out of my bag while I commute to school.

At the end of the day - a 700M I think is about as small as you can or should go for comfort and functionality.   However - a 13 inch screen and normal sized keyboard on a sub 5 pound note book with optical drive would have been PERFECT - but I paid 1400 bucks for my lap top which includes : XP professional, 60GB, 1.8 Gz processor, 512MB, CD-DVD rw burner, 64 MB key, Word suite, pdf maker, 8 -cell battery, and 3 year warranty, 8.625 TAX and shipping and I am VERY HAPPY.  

HP, Compaq with similar configuration and repair service would have set me back 1800 - 2200 and they would have been well over 5 pounds easily.
Fordham Law 2008

link0

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2005, 12:31:29 PM »
glasscow1, u paid too much for that. I heard you can call dell customer service get the price that you would have gotten if you got in on the 750 off 1499 deal. I have the same thing with 1.6ghz (cpu speed means nothing since laptop hard drives can't come close to keeping up) and minus the extra warranty for $750.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834150010&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Notebooks

The BEST notebook computers are not IBM, but Panasonic. They have a 3.4lb notebook with a 14.1' screen AND an internal optical drive. It's basically an IBM X-series + internal drive without the extra weight. Best of all worlds. Too bad it also costs $2500. =[

glascow1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2005, 08:32:02 PM »
no I did the math - I actually ended up saving an extra hundred dollars than if I had used a 750 off 1499 computer although I think you are right about the 1.6 vs. 1.8 that I shouldnt have paid for.....

the 750 coupon is off the regular price of 700 M with add ons..... so you could configure a 700 upt to about 1500 and get off 750 and only pay 750......but my configuration and add ons with 3 year service plan came up to over $2100....I used a employer coupon for 33% discounted off reg price and then an additional 12 % off of the reduced price....i still think I got a good deal. but thanks for the suggestion.
Fordham Law 2008

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2005, 01:58:05 PM »
I just bought the 600m, with the optimized home/office package with XP professional. I know Dells aren't everyone's faves around here, but I'm excited. It has a ton of stuff I wouldn have never gotten with the IBM for such a low price (60GB, 512mb, 1.8 GHz processor, DVD burner, etc) and came out to about $1400 with tax. I know there are cheaper ones, but I really liked this pacakge, including the 3-year warranty with accident protection (I'm a bit accident prone), and I'm anxious to get my new baby and get used to is. I haven't actually seen a 600m, so I hope its not too "flimsy" like gloascow1 said. I did see a 700m and found it to be too small, considering this will me my one and only computer for at least 3 years. It's supposed to weigh about 5 or so pounds which seems like a good weight for something more substantial (14 inch screen). Don't trash it too much b/c this was a big purchase for me!

eileen2004

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2005, 02:12:33 PM »
no I did the math - I actually ended up saving an extra hundred dollars than if I had used a 750 off 1499 computer although I think you are right about the 1.6 vs. 1.8 that I shouldnt have paid for.....

the 750 coupon is off the regular price of 700 M with add ons..... so you could configure a 700 upt to about 1500 and get off 750 and only pay 750......but my configuration and add ons with 3 year service plan came up to over $2100....I used a employer coupon for 33% discounted off reg price and then an additional 12 % off of the reduced price....i still think I got a good deal. but thanks for the suggestion.

I've been watching the prices on the 700M for months and just bought one using the same deal you did - 33% with an additional 12% employer discount.  It was better than the $750 coupons for me as well.

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
You can get the education discount through their website, www.thinkpad.com, or over the phone. I tried the T43 and the X40 the last time I was in LA, at the UCLA computer store. They also had a dell latitude and the differnece between the thinkpads and the Dell was striking. The X40 was a bit too small for me, but the T-series seems just the right size.

I am probably going to buy mine directly through UVa; they have a good deal on a couple of specific models, nearly $400 below the education discount price, actually cheaper than the Dell offered directly through UVa's law school.

Unless you are using one of the big coupons from Dell, there really isn't that great a price difference between the two; you can get a T43 for under $1200 w/education discount.

hi, i am a huge fan of ibm's but when i was on the website and set up the model that I wanted, it was close to $1800.  where can i get one of these educational discounts????  can i get them even if im not going to uva?

any other ideas on how i can get an ibm for a cheaper price>?

thanks
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2005, 12:09:34 PM »
BTW - I canceled my order for the 600m over the weekend when I realized it doesn't have a firewire port. I ended up buying another Dell, the Inspiron 6000, which is over 6 pounds, ouch, but has everything I need.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2005, 01:10:36 PM »
You can get the education discount through their website, www.thinkpad.com, or over the phone. I tried the T43 and the X40 the last time I was in LA, at the UCLA computer store. They also had a dell latitude and the differnece between the thinkpads and the Dell was striking. The X40 was a bit too small for me, but the T-series seems just the right size.

I am probably going to buy mine directly through UVa; they have a good deal on a couple of specific models, nearly $400 below the education discount price, actually cheaper than the Dell offered directly through UVa's law school.

Unless you are using one of the big coupons from Dell, there really isn't that great a price difference between the two; you can get a T43 for under $1200 w/education discount.

hi, i am a huge fan of ibm's but when i was on the website and set up the model that I wanted, it was close to $1800.  where can i get one of these educational discounts????  can i get them even if im not going to uva?

any other ideas on how i can get an ibm for a cheaper price>?

thanks

IBM's education discount is open to any student, it runs 10% off all their computers (5% off X41 tablet). The education discount website is: http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/education/index.html. Click on "students and alumni" under personal purchases.

Im my case, UVa has a good deal w/IBM for a couple of specific models, but I can still buy anything off the education site at the student price.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2005, 01:21:39 PM »
BTW - I canceled my order for the 600m over the weekend when I realized it doesn't have a firewire port. I ended up buying another Dell, the Inspiron 6000, which is over 6 pounds, ouch, but has everything I need.

My Inspiron 6000 is actually about 9 pounds with the battery.  Just wanted to give you a warning :)

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2005, 01:47:07 PM »
Oh crap, that's a lot. You got the extended battery? That's going to suck a little carrying all that weight around... but still its nice to have a full-size laptop since it is my primary computer. Doesn't dell have a return policy in the first month? Maybe if its too much I'll return it.