Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)  (Read 3817 times)

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 05:14:13 PM »
Thanks - that's pretty much what I figured. I'd definitely like to do some more research before I make my final decision. Burgh - you said you liked the 6000, can you tell us what the advantages are with that one?

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 05:23:36 PM »
Thanks - that's pretty much what I figured. I'd definitely like to do some more research before I make my final decision. Burgh - you said you liked the 6000, can you tell us what the advantages are with that one?

Well I'm a computer nerd so I wanted a dedicated graphics card.  Most laptops, including all of the small ultraportables, simply have integrated graphics on the motherboard.  This is fine for Micorsoft Word and e-mail, but not good for games or my computer geek ego.  The Inspiron 6000 was one of the few Dell lines that let me select a dedicated graphics card.  I also like the 15.4" screen size - It's the perfect blend between viewable area and portability.  I will say it's a tad heavier than I would like, but it's certainly fine for carrying around to class.  I'd recommend buying a backpack laptop bag to carry it in. 

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 05:30:03 PM »
Thanks - I think that means I'd be fine with the 600m.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 05:33:30 PM »

If that's the one with the 12" display I'd be wary.  I wouldn't recommend anything with less than a 14" screen.

WSPanicKC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »
dell x1 > 700m

What's the "x1"?

Thanks for all the replies by the way...

I'm definitely leaning towards the 700m right now.  Just seems like it's speed, memory capacity, firewire port, weight, and the optic drive outweigh other similar comps.  Like the 600m, and even that IBM x40 or whatever it is.  I could easily be wrong, but this is just what I've gathered from researching on the 'net, i.e. C-Net and like sites.

STILL, I'm worried about the small keyboard and 12' screen.  Anyone have a 12" screen and flat-out NOT like it?  I'm not worried about gaming, just the basics.

Good luck to everyone in your pursuits.

Scott

WSPanicKC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »

If that's the one with the 12" display I'd be wary.  I wouldn't recommend anything with less than a 14" screen.

600m has the 14"

700m has the 12"

I think we just posted at the same time.  I noticed you were into gaming and what-not...do you think the 12 v 14 is significant for someone not interested in gaming.  My main concern is loss of quality on the adult sites...gonna be a long way from home for school. 

Kidding...

lookwhois

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.63 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 06:18:30 PM »
700m only 4.3 pounds
Pending: 17
Accepted: 2 (Michigan and Notre Dame)
Denied: 0
Waitlisted:0
Closed all apps, Attending MICHIGAN

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 06:49:54 PM »
Burgh, The 600m has the dedicated ATI Radeon 900 AGP card (64MB max)  In addition, it has the intergrated Centrino setup w/ the Pentium M.  The M is an option on the 6000, but you can bump the 6000 up to 128MB on the graphics card.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 01:40:08 AM »
So dell has those instant rebates right now that claim to end on the 23rd of June? So should I be rushing to get mine to get the rebate, or will there be another deal after the 23rd.

Hey ambs, I had a similar dilemma when I bought my IBM T43.  I called the salesguy, and he was able to send me a qoute with the reduced rate that was valid for 30 days.  It gave  me a few days to sit on it, and I had time to research a few more specs I added to the package.  I know with IBM it was better for me to call the salesguy than buy online.  He gave me a few extra discounts, and even told me I don't need to buy certain things I was almost suckered into.  He also informed me of some specials I didn't know about.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 04:32:12 AM »
So dell has those instant rebates right now that claim to end on the 23rd of June? So should I be rushing to get mine to get the rebate, or will there be another deal after the 23rd.

Hey ambs, I had a similar dilemma when I bought my IBM T43.  I called the salesguy, and he was able to send me a qoute with the reduced rate that was valid for 30 days.  It gave  me a few days to sit on it, and I had time to research a few more specs I added to the package.  I know with IBM it was better for me to call the salesguy than buy online.  He gave me a few extra discounts, and even told me I don't need to buy certain things I was almost suckered into.  He also informed me of some specials I didn't know about.

Hey Melinda, I'm planning on getting a T43 in the next couple of weeks, wondering how you like yours so far? And how were you able to get the reduced price from sales? Thanks..
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.