Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)  (Read 3673 times)

WSPanicKC

• View Profile
    • Email
Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)
« on: June 18, 2005, 01:57:34 PM »
For those knowledgable about Dell Notebooks, trying to break down the "real" differences/advantages between these two machines. 

Never owned a laptop, and wondering about the difficulty of a 14" display vs a 12" display.  Plus, keyboard typing difficulties...

Thanks for any help.

www.dell.com

sarendipity

• Sr. Citizen
  • My law school roommate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - froggerlaw
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »
I think you'd like the 600m better...2 inches might not seem like alot, but in viewable area it sort of is. You are right that the keyboard is smaller...I think it is nice for travel but if you will be using it as your primary computer you will be happier with the 600m. If you are worried about bulk, the 600m is still a tad under 5 lbs which is pretty fantastic. Be sure to check out slickdeals.net. They are really good about finding coupon codes for Dell. Please don't order without being able to get a coupon. It will save you alot of money!
"Remember what I said about finding a meaningful life . . . Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning . . . You notice there's nothing in there about a salary."   ~ Morrie Schwartz

inthesun

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 10:08:54 PM »
700m has a widescreen monitor and a great display.  The widescreen makes the screen look much bigger than it sounds.  I love mine.  I know some people with the 600ms and they complain about it's weight.  A few pounds might not seem like much, but I am in a summer law prep program, and even my light laptop seems heavy at times. 

sarendipity

• Sr. Citizen
  • My law school roommate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - froggerlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 08:35:01 AM »
Ive used the 700m but opted to buy a 600m for personal use. I would recommend going to best buy or somewhere like that and look at similar models...get a feel for the keyboard and screen sizes. I wouldn't want a small screen with the amount of time I will be staring at mine working on assignments and reading cases. It's a personal preference. I don't think 5 lbs is very heavy...it hasn't been long since most were about 11 lbs or more. I don't really think you can go wrong with Dell so long as you are sure to get the best warranties you can.
"Remember what I said about finding a meaningful life . . . Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning . . . You notice there's nothing in there about a salary."   ~ Morrie Schwartz

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 04:17:58 PM »
Someone in my office has the 700m and says it is great, with the exception of the small keyboard and screen. I am hoping to get the 600m myself.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 10:57:10 AM »
Get an Inspiron 6000.  The 15.4" display is the perfect compromise between viewable area and portability.  But if you're REALLY set on saving yourself 1-2 pounds, then get the one with the 14" display.  12" is entirely out of the question.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »
I've had my 600m for about a week now.  The keyboard is larger than I expected and very comfortable so far.  The 14" screen is more than enough IMO.  I went with MS wireless USB mouse cause I hate touchpads for long term use.  The only thing I wish is that it had legs in back so you could set it at an angle.  It's taken me several  hours so far to clean off all the junk Dell loads on the drive.  The  wireless works great with the home network, haven't tried it at the school yet.

Still considering MS OneNote or Storelaw's Outliner for note taking over just plain Word.  OneNote seems more geared towards tablet PC.  Would appreciate any comments on this.

copey2001

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 12:31:40 PM »
dell x1 > 700m

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 04:59:23 PM »
So dell has those instant rebates right now that claim to end on the 23rd of June? So should I be rushing to get mine to get the rebate, or will there be another deal after the 23rd. I'm still debating btwn the 6000 and 600m or maybe splurging on an IBM. Or maybe even something else. I'm really only going Dell b/c of reputation and price.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »
So dell has those instant rebates right now that claim to end on the 23rd of June? So should I be rushing to get mine to get the rebate, or will there be another deal after the 23rd. I'm still debating btwn the 6000 and 600m or maybe splurging on an IBM. Or maybe even something else. I'm really only going Dell b/c of reputation and price.

No, you should NEVER rush to buy something from Dell (Or any computer manufacturer) because of an online "coupon" or rebate.  It's like buying a car - These "discounts" are simply marketing gimmicks to entice you into buying sooner rather than later.  These discounts are ALWAYS available, in one form or another. Think about it: If you go to buy something, whether it be a computer or car, do you honestly think they're going to tell you, "Oh sorry, it's going to cost you $500 more now! You should have bought yesterday!"  Of course not.  At any given point in time, you are ALWAYS getting the best, cheapest deal!  That's how being a salesperson works.  You never tell somebody that the best time to buy is anytime other than right now.  The truth is waiting a few weeks to make an informed decision isn't going to make the price go up.  But you may make a better choice about what you really want in the end.